Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye recruiting
Norm Young added to this discussion on July 29, 2007

Any new news on what's going on?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

I'm sure they're done for this year. Next year is a different story. We have the commitment from Magrum but we're definitely going to get more. Guys like Ben Jordan, Tony Jameson, John Hiles, Jedd Moore, and many others could end up in scarlet and gray - but most of all we're going to need to grab a top-notch recruit for 174.

Buckeye Recruiting Class of 2007
112: Bo Touris (West Chester Lakota West)
119: Nikko Triggas (Campolindo, CA)
119: Patrick Harrington (Sandusky St. Mary Central Catholic)
119: Pat Zamaria (Brecksville)
152: Tyler Meek (Vincent Warren)
160: Colt Sponseller (Millersburg West Holmes)
160: Sean Nemec (Lakewood St. Edward)
171: Corey Stewart (Loomis Chaffee, CT)
189: John Weakley (Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy)
189: Jeremy Sanders (Columbus St. Charles)
285: Jesse Campbell (Sullivan Black River)
285: Eric DiAgosta (East Liverpool)
285: Zach Stolarsky (Solon)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

i was looking their prospects over in Fargo, gave coach Ryan some feedback.

Jedd Moore stock went up, not only took 4th in Jr freestyle, but he is very fast at 152 pounds.

Hiles didnt have good tourn. None of Ohio's Hwts did.

btw, Montini Illinois great 285, Ironman champ Garett Goebel, just verbaled to Ohio St for football , he is defensive tackle. This season AWN # 1 285 of 2 years ago Dexter Larimore i think will start on the d-line for Ohio St. These guys are not going to wrestle, but are potential workout partners at least, in the room after season is over.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Hiles was third in the Greco, beat Tucker Lane, Eric Thompson, and Bubba Owens - hard to call that bad. In the FS, he did slightly disappoint at a 4-2 record losing to two AA's (Reiff, a non-name) and Trice.

Barlow was one short of AA in each style, going 4-2. In the GR, he beat the 4th AA from his pool (Disney) but lost out on points. In FS, he lost 1-0/1-0 to Thompson (an AA, now with two doubles in his career) and then to Owens in three periods.

Wade was 4-2, losing in three periods to Madison (now a two-time doubler) and then blown out by Thompson.

Kuhar lost to two elite kids in Lane and Bradley.

Powell battled hard, having at least one quality win - over CA state champion Jack.

It's hard to call the performances - each isolated - truly disappointing. However, the fact that not one AA'd (only Hiles in the GR) in FS is "disappointing"

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 31, 2007

Dead horse beating time...we can mention the names constantly of the best in Ohio but this ain't your Daddy's Ohio State. If the grades aren't solid, they're not going to get in.

Bob P--Jedd Moore was 140 as a soph and 152 last season. Is he still growing?

I'd love to see the Bucks sign Jameson but he's a luxury. Of course, I thought the same when OSU signed L Palmer....

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 31, 2007

buksman,
i did not use the word "disappointing", i merely stated i thought Ohio Hwts "did not have a good tournament", overall in fargo.

i see your points, but since Wade was runnerup last year in junior FR and did not AA this year, and Barlow was 4th & Hiles 6th in Greco last year --- and Kuhar a former 2X cadet FR champ, i expected a bit more collectively from the group, and i am sure those Hwts themselves expected more themselves. ---That said each of these Hwts plus Powell could have very nice college careers.

btw, i don't think Ohio st will spend money on the 285 weight class in next years senior class. Ohio St has several guys with "potential" in their room now, will let them fight it out.
-----------------------------------------------

"Bob P--Jedd Moore was 140 as a soph and 152 last season. Is he still growing? I'd love to see the Bucks sign Jameson but he's a luxury. Of course, I thought the same when OSU signed L Palmer..."

Hank,
i could see Jedd Moore as a college 157, but i know Ohio St likes him so maybe he is a 149 even ?? i think Ohio St will sign one of them, Moore or Jameson but not both. Both are outstanding prospects.

from Amateur Wrestling News editor Ron Good, its official OHIO ST U the # 1 incoming recruiting class, and story will be in latest August issue. On line subscribers will receive the issue tommorow. If interested, can subscribe by going to http://www.amateurwrestlingnews.com/ or call toll free 1-800--275--8551.

About a month ago InterMat named the Ohio st class #1, WIN magazine had them # 2, and i think Dan Fickel told me WR USA magazine will have them # 1---- so despite a couple naysayers on the ow.net forum last spring, its unanimous, this class is outstanding. In a few years we will know if it all lived up to the billing.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 31, 2007

Moore is a stud. Other than this 4th place finish in Junior Freestyle, he was a Cadet Freestyle finalist, an NHSCA Junior AA and Sophomore champ, and destroyed the field en route to his first state title this year. Particularly impressive (to me) was his technical fall over state 3rd placer Ryan Thatcher of Loudonville, who was excellent in his own right. He split with Cubberly this folkstyle season (1 point loss in Brecksville finals and a win by pin in a dual).

Just a guess, but I think he's bound to end up at 157/165 in college. It is rare to stop growing after entering your junior year of high school...

well if you right Dan, maybe Jedd Moore ends up that long sought after 174 ?? i liked his SPEED in fargo, he is very agile too----- also i don't have my brackets with me but i was told his first loss, in his pool, that Moore hurt his knee and could not continue, so maybe thats one he could have won ?

exerpt from AmWrNews article, from issue soon to be out:

Recruiting 2007

Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Missouri Lead Recruiting

With Ron Good

The annual recruiting rankings set out to score the top recruiting classes for fall and spring periods. The Amateur Wrestling News began ranking recruiting classes in 1979 with Iowa State and top recruit Nate Carr heading the list. It was a tough call at the top this year as Oklahoma State and Ohio State came away with the best front liners, while the Missouri class pulled in great depth and chipped in with the most High School All-Americans with eight. Others landing solid classes were Virginia Tech, Penn State, Minnesota and Lehigh.

The Buckeyes and Cowboys loaded up with quality grabbing four of the top 12 kids in the country. Elite athletes in the middleweights choosing Ohio State were Colt Sponseller and Sean Nemec. Both are Ohio products and won state at 160 pounds in different divisions in ‘07. Head coach Tom Ryan will split them up with Sponseller projected at 165 and Nemec at 157.

Sponseller simply had a super senior season going 49-0 winning a third Ohio title as well as the National High School title by wide margins.

“Sponseller is a buzzsaw on his feet comparable to fellow Ohioan and NCAA runner-up Clint Musser a dozen years ago,” stated high school guru Bob Preusse.

Lightweights coming aboard include California standout Nikko Triggas and local products Bo Touris, Pat Harrington and Patrick Zamaria. Triggas and Touris will compete at 125 pounds while Harrington and Zamaria range from 125 to 133. Upper weights are bolstered with the addition of Ohio products John Weakley, 197, and heavyweights Jesse Campbell and Eric DiAgosta. Corey Stewart, 174, comes in from Connecticut.

“Our entire staff is very pleased with the group of young men who represent the 2006-07 recruiting class,” stated coach Ryan. “Tommy Rowlands did a great job fostering strong friendships with hardworking student-athletes throughout the process. Our goal was to keep the best student-athletes in the state of Ohio and we accomplished that in our first year as a new staff. Keeping the best at home is a priority.”

What helps this class as the No. 1 selection is the fact that the group may produce at least two and maybe three immediate starters where the Buckeyes have a need.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 31, 2007

Bob.

Moore took 4th in Fargo. Lost to Polz, beat Johnson, beat LeValley, and lost to Howe his last four matches.

NHSCA Jrs for Moore: beat PA runner-up at 145 Bosak 7-3, lost to arguably wrestler of the year nationally (NP champ at 140) Mason 6-3, beat IL runner-up Roth 4-2 (Roth beat White at the Dvorak), then had the "bad" loss to Hynson DE 8-6, placed 7th.

well Moore looks good now--- must have been Polz match he hurt knee and couldnt continue, i didnt see it so i don't know if he was competitive in the match or not ??

Polz is son of # 4 in nation Carl Sandburg illinois head coach Mike Polz, he is vastly improved lately himself.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 31, 2007

Moore had zero injury defaults out at Fargo. He lost to Polz then won at least two more matches before losing to Andrew Howe for 3/4.

Moore must have hurt knee and continued on then, one of the Ohio coaches told me he hurt his knee. From how he said it i was thinking Moore was out, so i was surprised to see him going for 3rd. His stock went up out there, as far as Ohio Junior national kids go that was unusual.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

Out of curiosity, why did OSU miss out on Roddy? I would think that he would be a high priority especially with a need for a 174pounder. Does anyone know if they recruited hard, but he decided otherwise, or did they not go after him?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

I heard through the grapevine that they did recruit him, and it was down to Ohio State and Northwestern as his final two, but Northwestern won out in the end.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next