Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Buckeye recruiting
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

yes Ohio St recruited Roddy very hard, but Northwestern just won out, but i think it was close. At any rate, i understand the Roddy's had a great unofficial visit to Ohio St in the spring.

i think we are going to see emergence of Northwestern in wrestling, esp now that new asst Drew Pariano a 3X Ohio champ from Fairview Park Ohio is doing much of the recruiting. Pariano a real go-getter, good personality, and will probably be the next head coach at his alma mater Northwestern.

truth is Northwestern has alot to sell, combines Ivy league reputation with Big Ten ability to give athletic grants in aid. To a select group of student/athletes Northwestern is great choice. They got Benefiel away from Iowa St and Minnesota, and they have excellent chance to get maybe the nations # 1 recruit next year, Jason Welch from California, too.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

Interestingly, last weekend I was talking to one of the top girls soccer recruits and she was concerned about going to OSU because the word was that it was "trying to be like an Ivy League school" (and she carries over a 3.0). Perhaps much of what was written previously about OSU's increased academics is trickling down to the recruits. I mention this because we have heard ad naseum about Northwestern's dominance over OSU academically.

Still, I hope OSU appeals to a larger group of students since it is a large state school and that should be part of its purpose. I do like the fact that the wrestling team seems to be concerned about academics in its last class (last two classes if you include Palmer).

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

How do people feel about Steve Wilson as a possible 174 recruit for the Bucks?

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

I think Steve Wilson could be an OK catch for 174, but not a great catch. With Roddy out of the picture, it makes me wonder if Derek Foore would have been a kid to grab (if he could work out with Nemec and Sponseller while building into a 174 with a red-shirt). I know that we can't look at the past and say, "what if?" but it makes me wonder. I think the bucks are going to have to look out of state for a big recruit here.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

The Bucks had Ryan Patrovich in the fold last fall. Hence, Kilgore, Foore, et. al, were not seen as high a priority. I'm sure Ohio State will find someone and they'll probably be from outside Ohio. My advice is to go to AWN.com and examine the rankings for next year's Sr class. Look for the best guys at 160-171. If they have the grades, I'm sure OSU will be after them. Think about guys like Romero Cotton (Kansas) and Hunter Collins (CA). And, I'm sure Steve Wilson is of interest. One thing of which I'm certain is that Coach Ryan will bring in some guys to compete for the job. Look at what he did at 285 and 125 as points of comparison.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

Hank,
yes u right the Patrovich thing threw Ohio St a curveball after early signing in Nov was past.

"I think the bucks are going to have to look out of state for a big recruit here." ---- very well could be, unless they project a Jedd Moore and/or Ben Jordan growth spurt. Ben has gotten pretty darn big i hear, weighs in the upper 160s now. Have to always keep in mind, Ohio st is intending to compete with the top teams in America, recruits have to project that they can compete well with the Minnesota 174, the Iowa St 184, the Iowa 174, the OKla St 174--- if cannot compete successfully then Ohio st cant spend much money on the kid.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

Cotton did not compete in Fargo, had a struggle at Junior duals, was up at 189. Collins went 189 in Fargo. Hard to say if they're 174 projections, or more of 184.

One 174 projection that had a tremendous Fargo was Ben Bennett (Rockford MI), who went 6-2 at 171. Close losses to Kirk Smith (ID) and Grant Gambrall (IA). Probably a better choice than Steve Wilson, though with four in-state DI programs in Michigan, I'd guess he ends up in-state.

Don Bork added to this discussion on August 4, 2007

TOSU website has the 2007-08 roster up and most of the new class of freshman are on it. One exception is Eric DiAgosta. Does anyone have any info on this? I had not seen him wrestle, but from what I had read about him and results I had seen he seemed to have some good upside to him and would provide some depth in the heavyweight class.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 4, 2007

What about the Meys(sp) kid from New York as a possible 174 candidate.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 5, 2007

i am told the San Francisco Chronicle reports Jason Welch verbals to Northwestern, if true its something i have been posting for months that Northwestern was the leader. --- as i posted previously, NU asst Drew Pariano will help change the landscape in the Big Ten, same as coach Ryan.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2007

Bob--I was on vacation. Is Welch to NW confirmed?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 22, 2007

Hank,

yes Welch to Northwestern is confirmed by InterMat, and Mr Welch also called me, its a done deal although cant sign until November.

Nwst future: 165 Welch, 174 Roddy, 184 Benefiel--- a murderers row.

Nwst also a finalist for Junior national 3rd placer at 152 lb Andrew Howe of Indiana. Howe has only ONE loss in hs (to Reece Humphrey). Howe beat Jedd Moore of Ohio for 3rd in fargo, 2-0, 2-0.

think Drew Pariano of Fairview Park Ohio-- i been saying this for a while--- he is changing the landscape at Nwst and i am guessing will be Nwst next head coach someday (he wrestled for Nwst).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 23, 2007

Seems to me that we're seeing two distinctly different types of recruiting at work. tOSU wants the best guys but does not want to give full rides. As I understand it, the philosophy is to have the recruits prove their skill and then receive more money. NW, it seems, is more willing to offer a full ride (or closer to it) to the guys they identify as the wrestlers they want.

NW has done a great job of landing major talents such as Benefiel, Welch and Roddy. But, who are your backups? If guys get hurt--and they do--you lack depth. Secondly, what happens when guys grow into new wt classes? If you spend most of your money on 8-10 top guys, and they can't fit into the slots foreseen, you can end up with some big holes at a few wts and great wrestlers at others. If NW can spend their money on front line guys and build depth, it would be an amazing feat. But, given the demands of admittance to NW, it's less likely they will have they type of walk-on talent necessary to fill holes. Of course, Cornell and Penn have managed pretty well so it can be done.

OSU plans to spend more conservatively for top guys while using extra cash to land second tier wrestlers (think Touris, Campbell, etc...). It's smart for building depth but will they land enough of the best guys to get to the top? Also, does this recruitment philosophy put tOSU at a disadvantage when trying to land guys they really want? So far OSU has done well but the wrestler they most needed to sign, Brian Roddy, opted for NW presumeably because it was a better offer (not to mention a stellar school). This may be the first example of tOSU losing out on a stud because someone else will pay more (my assumption) but it won't be the last.

Ultimately, I think NW is less interested in winning duals than bringing in wrestlers they believe will bring them a national title. tOSU seems interested in doing both. We'll see how it works out for both schools over the next several years.

One thing's for sure--both schools have made themselves attractive to the best kids in the country. Give both staffs credit.

As a side note, it's a bit ironic that leading the recruiting charge for two of tOSU's top competitors--Penn State and NW--are Ohio guys Pariano and Dernlan.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on August 23, 2007

Hank - some interesting insight on OSU and NW recruiting. Obviously each school has a different approach, but each approach seems to be woring well.

I think that it will be very difficult for NW to ever build any depth. You mentetioned th high admission statndards as one road block, the other is money. Last I saw the cost to attend NW was in the neighborhood of $45,000 per year. In order to get top line talent they almost have to offer full rides. A 50% scholarship still leaves a kid owing $22,500. Whereas a 50% to an instate kid at Ohio State or Penn State leaves a bill of only $5000 to $7000 per year. It may be the only way that NW can build a powerhouse is to bring in studs with full rides and hope they stay healthy. Otherwise they will be mired in mediocrity.

The OSU staff understands that if the sell people on what they are building (and I think they have done a masterful job of that) Ohio kids will want to come there and will take less scholarship money to do it (you're never going to get all of the studs that the state produces). OSU can therefore land more than its share of studs and build outstanding depth. With the in-state tuition rates it is much easier to offer less scholarship and still land a kid.

Schools like OSU and Penn State build tremendous depth in the room through walk-ons and guys coming in for book money. Sometimes these guys turn into solid starters and even All Americans (Yonoshounis and Cummins from Penn State are recent examples of All Americans that started as walk-ons).

OSU and NW are to be commended for hitting on systems that seem to be working well for them .

Schools

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 23, 2007

"tOSU wants the best guys but does not want to give full rides. As I understand it, the philosophy is to have the recruits prove their skill and then receive more money."
----------------------------------------------

Hank,
Ohio St is going to have to offer big money to be in the running for any out of state studs , same as Nwst, same as Penn St.

Coach Ryan tighter with the $$ than previous staff was, thats for sure, but he has to pay for top guys, too. Fact is, Nemec and Roddy got very close to full offers from both Ohio St and Nwst. Roddy felt more comfortable at Nwst for whatever reason.

Not every Ohio kid is a Sponseller who is willing to come for modest $$, at least in year one. Sponseller will get his $$ too, starting in year two as more $$ becomes available assuming his career goes as expected.

So Ryan still has to offer 85 and 90 %-- instead of 100 % like his predecessor-- for most elite kids. And Ryan is not going to give merely "good" wrestlers alot of $$ like his predecessor did. Ryan is going to nickle and dime enough savings on each offer to have scholarships for a couple more kids--- he is not going to blow it all on a handfull of wrestlers and he takes the time to work all the angles--- but Ohio St has to pay, too. They aren't Okla St or Iowa yet, where most in state kids are dying to go there regardless of $$.

don't weep for Nwst, they have always had a great product to sell: Ivy league academics plus being in the Big Ten plus gives athletic grant in aid. Football i see the depth problem, u need an awful lot of players and the great majority of football players (and esp basketball players where APR concerns are rampant at every college), not many football players or basketball players in America can be admitted to Nwst.

but wrestling where u don't need near as many "players" to be a power AND where surprisingly quite a few top kids are top students ( Nemec, Roddy, Triggas, Jason Welch, Benefeil, Jake Herbert, Ryan Lang, Dustin Fox)--- in wrestling i see big things continuing to happen at Nwst.

Assuming their rep in wrestling continues to grow, Nwst will get some depth. Ohio St should always have more depth than Nwst, after all Ohio St has a much much bigger talent pool that can actually be admitted to school and the school is affordable--- and as i told AWN editor Ron Good over a year ago when Ryan took the job and when i observed how Dernlan was energizing Penn St recruiting: "No one will ever out recruit Ohio St and Penn St again".

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2