Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. Virginia: Friday November 13, 2015 (Home)
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 5, 2015

Do we know what the line-up will be yet?

Any good matches to look forward to?

Last edited by Justin Hayes on November 6, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on November 5, 2015

133- JDJ vs DiCamillo
141 - Micah vs Sam Krivus

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on November 6, 2015

Minor complaint...it's actually Friday, November 13th, not 30th (November 30th is a Monday). How do I know? Because I have plane tickets to Columbus that morning to attend this very meet!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 6, 2015

Britt: please excuse my friend. He's a little slow.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 6, 2015

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"Minor complaint...it's actually Friday, November 13th, not 30th (November 30th is a Monday). How do I know? Because I have plane tickets to Columbus that morning to attend this very meet!"

That was a test for you...and you passed!

Niemann, however, failed. Again.

I can now change the title to the accurate date as was my plan all along once the exam process was complete. : )

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 6, 2015

I should never match wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line. Obviously.

ps: I'll be there. Deuces!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 6, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I should never match wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line. Obviously.

ps: I'll be there. Deuces!"

Neimann commits...

4x Sectional Qualifier, 1x Afton Quadrangular Champion, and 3x "Most Improved" award winner for Groveport H.S. Mark Neimann commits to continuing his wrestling career @ Midvale School for the Gifted where he will Major in...

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

125 #1 Nate vs. Nick Herrmann - Nick was ranked #16 but lost twice to unranked over the weekend.
133 #5 JDJ vs. No. 10 George DiCamillo- Tossup
141 #19 Micah vs. Zach Watson
149 Cody Burcher vs. T.J. Miller
157 Jake Ryan vs. Andrew Atkinson- Beat #6 Pack over the weekend
165 ??? vs. Garrett Peppelman
174 #1 Bo vs. Fox Baldwin
184 #5 Courts vs. Will Schany
197 #13 Martin vs. #10 Zac Nye- beat #16 Rotert in OT over the weekend
285. Tavs vs. Patrick Gillen

Va lost to #24 Minnesota 19-15 over the weekend.

Should be a good dual.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

Could be pretty close but Bucks have bonus point machines in NaTo and BoJo and potentially Micah. Will Bucks play it straight with BoJo at 174 (and weighing in at that weight) or will we see the debut of Myles Martin at 174 and BoJo at 165?

For dual, BoJo at 165 would be better. But there are other considerations including whether or not MyMart showed enough to lead coaches to think he can place at NCAA's. He had a good tourney but it was not upper level D1 comp for the most part.

Stay tuned.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Could be pretty close but Bucks have bonus point machines in NaTo and BoJo and potentially Micah. Will Bucks play it straight with BoJo at 174 (and weighing in at that weight) or will we see the debut of Myles Martin at 174 and BoJo at 165?

For dual, BoJo at 165 would be better. But there are other considerations including whether or not MyMart showed enough to lead coaches to think he can place at NCAA's. He had a good tourney but it was not upper level D1 comp for the most part.

Stay tuned."

Myles status won't be decided until the first of the year. This weekend he should get tougher competition wrestling in the Open division at Michigan State Open. If Ohio University attends the event like they did last year and everything falls in place, Myles could end up wrestling #4 Cody Walters.

Dwight: If we didn't go by real names, I'd call you "Mister Inside."

Sean Koran added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

Can't imagine they would burn MyMar's redshirt this early for an, ultimately, meaningless dual.

There is no way MyMar's redshirt should come off unless the staff is confident that he will AA at 174.

Round of 12 with no bonus gets 2 team points I believe.

It is certainly unfair to assume a national title, but Bo is the favorite right now if he goes 174. He is not if he goes 165. The difference between 1st and 2nd is 4 points. Not to mention forcing Bo to make a hard cut.

Bo at 165 and MyMar at 174 certainly makes OSU a better dual team, but it only makes OSU a better Nationals team if Myles AAs. Otherwise, they are worse off points wise, lose a year of potentially much better MyMar, and give Bo a much tougher path to a title.

Right now is too early to make that determination.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

Bo Jordan vs. Fox Baldwin? That is going to be very interesting.

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"Bo Jordan vs. Fox Baldwin? That is going to be very interesting."

TD Bo. Backpoints Bo. Pin Bo. If he's healthy and weighs in at 174. And not up all night changing diapers....

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 10, 2015

My thoughts on the dual:

My first thought is that I cannot wait to get to St. John on Friday night and watch the unveiling of the national championship banner. I had my doubts last year, specifically after the Lehigh performance, but I will gladly eat my crow! Go Bucks!!!!!

125 – Nathan Tomasello v. Nick Hermann – Hermann did not have a good opening weekend, despite starting the season ranked #16. I’m calling for the major for NaTo, but a tech or pin isn’t out of the question.
4-0 OSU

133 – Johnni DiJulius v. George DiCamillo – These two met twice last year with JDJ coming out on top both times. The second ended in OT with JDJ getting the win on riding time. This is a bloodround type match that Johnni will need to win not only now, but in March, to finally achieve that AA status. I’m giving him the decision.
7-0 OSU

141 – Micah Jordan v. Zach Watson – Watson started the season 1-1, beating Gross from SDSU but getting majored by Thorn from Minny. I think Micah is much closer to the latter than the former. Major for Micah.
11-0 OSU

149 – Cody Burcher v. T.J. Miller – Miller was a starter last year and was about .500. He did notch wins over Mastriani (V. Tech) and Cain (Duke). I give him the slight edge, but if Burcher gets on top and gets that cradle locked in…
11-3 OSU

157 – Jake Ryan v. Andrew Atkinson – Atkinson was an NCAA qualifier last year and the ACC runner up. He knocked off 6th ranked Cody Pack (who beat Demas last year) this past weekend. I think he is the favorite in this match, and it will give us a good idea of where Jake Ryan is right now.
11-6 OSU

165 – Justin Kresevic v. Garrett Pepplemen – Pepplemen, if I recall correctly, was a high school stud. He is coming off of a RS year and went 2-1 last weekend, losing to the Minny starter. Hoping for nothing more than a decision here.
11-9 OSU

174 – Bo Jordan v. Fox Baldwin – Baldwin is a true frosh and was a high school stud. He opened his career with 3 wins, by a combined 5 points. He beat Wanzek from Minny 16-15. Bo pinned Wanzek last year. If Bo is healthy, I see at least a major, maybe more.
15-9 OSU

184 – Kenny Courts v. Will Schany – Schany is a RS frosh and didn’t set the world on fire in his RS year. The other option is Tyler Askey, who doesn’t have any better results. This is a match Courts should win, handily. Based on how he has started his season, I think I will be sweating out the third period, but he will prevail.
18-9 OSU

197 – Mark Martin v. Zach Nye – The second best matchup of the night behind 133. Martin gets a very good opponent in Nye who was an NCAA qualifier last year. Nye split two matches against ranked opponents this past weekend, beating #16 Rotert and losing to #7 Pfarr. I’m going to favor Nye, but this is a tossup in my mind.
18-12 OSU

285 – Nick Tavanello v. Patrick Gillen – These two didn’t meet up last year, but a healthy Tav is a slight favorite in my mind. I’m giving him a decision.
21-12 OSU

Overall this is a good opening match for the Bucks. Virginia knocked off NDSU, a ranked team, and was 1 match away from knocking off Minnesota. If JDJ loses then this becomes a very tight match for the Bucks. The hole at 165 will be a problem in the dual season this year. Can’t wait to see the National Championship banner and (hopefully) watch a Bucks win!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next