Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 197
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 12, 2015

So, Matthew Ohara is scheduled to compete for the Bucks against UVA. That's fine---but I sincerely doubt he'll be the 197 all season. Bucks have two guys at this weight who are better--Mark Martin and Kollin Moore.

The seemingly smart move would be to redshirt true frosh Moore and allow Martin to finish out his career. Martin appears to be better at this point in time and his presence at 197 would strengthen the lineup as well as the teams tourney potential.

But Martin seems to want to redshirt. Not sure of the reason but maybe it's related to academics? Or perhaps he'd like a year to get bigger and finish off his final season with a shot to win it all. Martin has never redshirted so perhaps there's an understanding in place between he and the coaches.

Ok. But then what? If you also redshirt Moore, how does next season play out? Martin wrestling off Moore? One sits and the other wrestles? Someone loses a competitive season. If Martin redshirts this year then gets beaten out by an improving Moore, it's a waste of a redshirt. If Martin beats out Moore after both have redshirted, he'll lose a year of competition.

No. The way I see it either Martin or Moore has to go 197 this year. That's it. Martin makes more sense. But I have a feeling it will be Moore. But I can't see both redshirting as that would make no sense.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 12, 2015

lineup wil be decided by Missouri match, kollin moore might start 197, he looks very good, tough kid.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 12, 2015

Will Lavion Mayes FF again? NCAA should give Logan one more match just for that bout.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Hank, you are speculating who will wrestle 197 next year.

Am I missing something, the 197 next year should be Kyle Snyder! - If Mark Martin red-shirts this year he would come back to sit behind Kyle next year. - Unless Kyle beefs up to 285, then you would be sitting Nick Tavenello his senior year and Haines his sophmore season.

Or are you thinking that Kyle will stay on the international level after this year and not return to OSU?

Depth issues are beginning to get intriguing.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Hank, you are speculating who will wrestle 197 next year.

Am I missing something, the 197 next year should be Kyle Snyder! - If Mark Martin red-shirts this year he would come back to sit behind Kyle next year. - Unless Kyle beefs up to 285, then you would be sitting Nick Tavenello his senior year and Haines his sophmore season.

Or are you thinking that Kyle will stay on the international level after this year and not return to OSU?

Depth issues are beginning to get intriguing."

Snyder said he will probably be at 285.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Pat: If Snyder were coming back at 197, I can guarantee you that Martin would not be a probable redshirt.

Aside--wouldn't be shocked if Haines left as it could become a similar situation to the one faced by Nick Roberts. But it's still too early to know how everything will play out.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Pat, yes u r missing something(s).
Haines might be a PA 4xer who never starts, Snyder will be 285 assuming he returns-- and Kollin Moore, i been talking him up all year, many appear reluctant to believe, but HE is the future 197 if not this year then the next 3.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

My guess based off the fact that neither Martin nor Moore is wrestling in the dual is that they are waiting for the michigan state open to see if they want to start Moore and let Martin redshirt.

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"My guess based off the fact that neither Martin nor Moore is wrestling in the dual is that they are waiting for the michigan state open to see if they want to start Moore and let Martin redshirt."

Mich st open Nov 15, however as i mentioned previously i'm told Missouri dual about Jan 12, thats when final lineup -and i assume RS decisions- will be made by Ryan and staff.

Tim McIntyre added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Kyle is taking an Olympic red-shirt does that leave him a regular red-shirt ? if so that would give him another year to grow into 285 and allow tav to wrestle Sr year and Kyle would have 3 more years of eligibility ?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Interesting Points, guys.

Thank you!

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"My guess based off the fact that neither Martin nor Moore is wrestling in the dual is that they are waiting for the michigan state open to see if they want to start Moore and let Martin redshirt."

Mich st open Nov 15, however as i mentioned previously i'm told Missouri dual about Jan 12, thats when final lineup -and i assume RS decisions- will be made by Ryan and staff."

tOSU vs MU = December 12th

Interesting, I was told the decision would be made after the Midlands. Either way, we'll know by the first of the year.

missouri, yes mid december, i read date wrong

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

"

Mich st open Nov 15, however as i mentioned previously i'm told Missouri dual about Jan 12, thats when final lineup -and i assume RS decisions- will be made by Ryan and staff."

tOSU vs MU = December 12th

Interesting, I was told the decision would be made after the Midlands. Either way, we'll know by the first of the year."

Mr. Inside.

" missouri, yes mid december, i read date wrong"

Britt, right, i caught my error, thanks- old age, lol

bottom line is buckeyes making decisions, they have wild cards that could put them in the national title race if well played. Will be interesting to see in another month what lineup looks like.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next