Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Zain vs. (Healthy) Hunter?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 15, 2015

Can a 100% healthy, ready to rock Hunter beat Zain Retherford @ 149 lbs?

Last edited by Justin Hayes on November 16, 2015; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 15, 2015

Hunter is a little better from neutral, Zain is better on top. If Hunter can get out from bottom I think he can take him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 15, 2015

Generally speaking, PSU was very impressive against Virginia Tech. Zain tore up a solid opponent. Nickal handled Epperly. Nolf controlled Brascetta. Mega was probably disappointed but that's a mighty tough first dual back (Dance) after a year off.

We all know how good Hunter is when 100% but he's basically got one semester left to compete when he comes back. It's hard to know what to expect....let alone if his surgeries will hold up. Let's hope for the best.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

I think some may be forgetting how good this kid is. He beat Logan Stieber as a true freshman...and then to show it wasn't a fluke, he gave him two tough bouts after that. If he's grown into a legit 149, I think he's your national champion. A 100% Hunter Stieber could beat almost anyone (he beat Kellen Russell), but I think Retherford is the better wrestler.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

To echo Michael's comments, I was extremely impressed with how Retherford wrestled this past Sunday. He got in on a single leg on Mastroianni and was able to knock him of his balance simply by putting pressure on the upper calf with his shoulder. That takes Stieber-esque strength.

I watched the Virginia vs tOSU, Iowa vs OSU and PSU vs VT matches this past weekend. PSU looked very sharp and if I was a betting man they would be my clear choice to win the national championship.

Bruce

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think some may be forgetting how good this kid is. He beat Logan Stieber as a true freshman...and then to show it wasn't a fluke, he gave him two tough bouts after that. If he's grown into a legit 149, I think he's your national champion. A 100% Hunter Stieber could beat almost anyone (he beat Kellen Russell), but I think Retherford is the better wrestler."

Zain is tough as nails...and ain't skeered. Lots of good points.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Tougher than boiled owl.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Tougher than a guy who wrestles the B10 tournament with no arms?

I think a 90% Hunter nips Retherford at NCAAs on nuts and guts, alone.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"Tougher than a guy who wrestles the B10 tournament with no arms?

I think a 90% Hunter nips Retherford at NCAAs on nuts and guts, alone."

Oh, man, it's getting hectic! :)

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think some may be forgetting how good this kid is. He beat Logan Stieber as a true freshman...and then to show it wasn't a fluke, he gave him two tough bouts after that. If he's grown into a legit 149, I think he's your national champion. A 100% Hunter Stieber could beat almost anyone (he beat Kellen Russell), but I think Retherford is the better wrestler."

M-Rod you are taking for granted how good a health Hunter Stieber is. He gutted out a victory last year without having use of either arm which was critical to Ohio State sharing the Big Ten Title! Both are exceptional athletes and the results will be decided on the mat. Jason Tsirtsis a former NCAA champ is also at this weight class. I'm not ready to crown Zain just yet. This will be a very competitive weight class.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 17, 2015

Retherford, Tsirtsis, Sorenson and a healthy Hunter...that would be a heckuva weight class.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 18, 2015

I think Hunter Stieber is amazing...maybe my favorite current Buckeye. I think he showed tremendous heart and toughness last season. I also think (big brother thing aside), Logan was six or seven points better than him, like he was at least six or seven points better than the best in the nation is last three seasons. The notable exception to that was Ramos down a 133, (he always seemed to give Stieber tough matches), and this freshman from Penn State. If a healthy Hunter Stieber and Logan Stieber step on the mat, I think Logan wins by major or close to it. I think he beats Retherford 7-3.

And remember, he was a tru-frosh. I bet he's gotten a lot better in that room. All he's been doing is focusing I getting better and stronger. He is very tough to take down, he rides (rides, not turns) better than anyone in the NCAA and his offense and is better than people think. I could see him like a Gabe Dean or Ed Ruth...AA as a freshman and then dominate for three years.

But I could totally be wrong. I'm wrong a lot

► Add to the Discussion