Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Preview Matchups for Arizona State and Cleveland State for OSU
William Danforth added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Link to OSU v CSU

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id/2707283/ohio-state-vs-cleveland-state

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Preview Matchups for Arizona State and Cleveland State for OSU
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Apparently no Mark Martin or Micah tonight. Martin didn't make weight. How does a guy going up two weight classes miss weight?

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Did Burcher just get pinned in a tilt? Also, Jake Ryan looks awesome

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Burcher let that match get away. JDJ much too close. Martin doesn't make weight? Man, 174 must have been a killer for him!

John Ice added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Kudos to CSU, they fought hard all night long!

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

What a fantastic event. Woodling Gym packed to the brim. Standing room only.

165- Controlled by Kresevic, but Wynkoop holds it to a decision.

174- Bonana split for the fall.

184- Both Courts and Dye missing from their respective lineups. Rozema with a dominant win.

197 - Forfeit due to Martin missing weight. Not positive, but I think OSU might have shown up late. I had to point Coach Ryan and a pack of OSU guys to their locker room 20 minutes before weigh ins started. They were coming in from outside.

285- Great action. Tavanello was in early with a snatch single but was unable to finish. Shaw scored with double underhooks and rode out the first period. Tavanello closed the gap with a takedown but Shaw held on for the win.

125- Cheek started the match with a low level double leg for a takedown. Tomasello recovered and methodically put point on and earned the tech in the 3rd period.

133- Lots of handfighting with Johnni trying to get tricep control and Gray clearing him off. Great action at one point where Johnni tried to hit a dump and Gray almost stepped him over. Each wrestler had a takedown, but Dijulius' was able to ride out the period after his and wins 4-3 as a result.

141- Hozan earned a last second takedown at the end of the first after a review. Score was 3-2 with time counting down in the 3rd. Carlone was on bottom and put Hozan in a defensive pin type situation. Earned a reveral with a few seconds remaining to win 4-3.

149- Burcher with two takedowns and was riding tough with his cross face. Montgomery stormed back with a takedown off of a throw and then tilted him for a fall. I was on the wrong side to see if he was actually flat, but the ref was in perfect position when it happened. Match would have been 6-5 Montgomery at that point without the fall.

157- Jake Ryan looked very tough hitting several ankle picks off of Vaughn's shot attempts. Earned a tech with a riding time point after the match.

Final score 26-18.

Pardon me if any of that is incorrect. I was bopping and running one of the scoreboards. It's hard to be a fan and a worker at the same time!

Last edited by Brandon Sommers on November 24, 2015; edited 2 times in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 24, 2015

Very busy right now due to holiday but watched on line while doing some work. Kudos to CSU for fighting hard. They had an opportunity and they seized it.

As for the Bucks, they mailed in the effort and it showed. Guys like JDJ and Nate can get away with it but other guys can't. I'n sure Coach Ryan will address it.

CSU has their best AA prospect in a long time in 285 Riley Shaw. He has great size and a nice motor at 285.

David Rourke added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Burcher let that match get away. JDJ much too close. Martin doesn't make weight? Man, 174 must have been a killer for him!"

When Heflin made the jumped from 174 to 197, he obviously did it the right way...in the weight room. Martin, not so much...

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

Great match! CSU did much better than expected after being beaten soundly by EMU. I've never seen Woodling totally packed like that. Nice to see. I thought Nick Corba did a good job doing play by play. Neat to have a redshirting wrestler's perspective on the action.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

Quote from David Rourke's post:

"

"Burcher let that match get away. JDJ much too close. Martin doesn't make weight? Man, 174 must have been a killer for him!"

When Heflin made the jumped from 174 to 197, he obviously did it the right way...in the weight room. Martin, not so much..."

I'm not sure that is the case at all. I have seen numerous post on twitter showing Martin in the weight room on late Friday or Saturday night. Its not like he is out there with a spare tire around his waist. By all accounts he lives in the weight room. Yeah was it bad he missed weight but if they indeed get their late that could have led to it. Learn a lesson and move on.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

141- Hozan earned a last second takedown at the end of the first after a review. Score was 3-2 with time counting down in the 3rd. Carlone was on bottom and put Hozan in a defensive pin type situation. Earned a reveral with a few seconds remaining to win 4-3.

What is the rules here? Carlone is trying for the def. fall but was exposing his back and OSU wanted back points but looked like ref said he was on top of Hozan. He had to be exposed a little because Hozan had is shoulders up and tilted a little.

I was up in the nose bleeds due to the awesome crowd but it looked like he could of got at least a 2 count. Anyone closer have anything or no the rule.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

[quote="James Kessen"][quote="David Rourke"]

" he obviously did it the right way...in the weight room. Martin, not so much..."

Can confirm that the team being late certainly impacted the decision to forfeit at 197. I spoke with a couple of Ohio State coaches and they said Mark was less than 1/2 lb over and a bit of time (which was originally scheduled before the traffic jam on 71) would have allowed for Mark to wrestle.

Micah and Courts were scheduled to be out of the lineup, so no shocker there.

Survive and advance.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

What is the weigh-in protocol? Is it different from past years?

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

Quote from James Kessen's post:

" Anyone closer have anything or no the rule."

I wasn't closer since I wasn't there in person but the ESPN camera had a good view and it appeared the referee made the right call. The CSU wrestler was really mostly on top of the OSU wrestler so even though his back was facing down it wasn't very close to the mat.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 25, 2015

Rozema has been getting a lot of action lately. Is this a sign that he's showing more and more in the room? Or is he beating Kenny on the regular? I find it noteworthy that he won the wrestle-off against a returning AA, his results haven't been terrible at all, and he's getting more action.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next