Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. ASU: Live Updates?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 20, 2015

I'm impressed with Burcher and Ryan. Neither of these guys were big recruits but both are showing a lot of moxie as they compete. Jake Ryan is going to be a pain in the -ss for most of his opponents as his defense is superb. Burcher showed a lot of desire.

Micah Jordan looks superb. What an amazing offensive arsenal he has displayed early in the season. Honestly, the guy who looks most affected by the weight cut is Nate. I hope he can hold up at 125.

Nice job by JDJ. I loved seeing him take a shot. He's done that a few times this year. If guys have to respect his leg attacks, it will open up his 2 on 1 offense.

Nice job by Bucks. These guys appear motivated and well coached.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 20, 2015

Conditioning is a strength of this team.

Tavanello wins with three points scored in the final 25 seconds. Burcher and Rozema scored late takedowns in close losses to ranked opponents. Micah kept pushing the action until the end. Martin may have tired late, but that's probably because he was so active early.

No complaints from where I sit. This team looks sharp.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

125-NaTo the TD machine
133-JDJ doing his Mitch Clark impression tonight. A joy to watch.
141-Micah is a pit bull. Just keeps coming.
149-Burcher-Couldn't get a call tonight
157-Jake keeping it close, and never giving an inch
165-Had a lead & got caught with some slick moves.
174-Bo is a BEAST. Expected to hear bones cracking. And people thought Logans arm bars were brutal...
184-Losing 7-4 to #3 kid, not too shabby.
197-Mark looks better at 197 than he did at 174. He probably regretted that last TD attempt that cost him 2 points. Didn't really need to shoot.
285-Tav's back against the wall & he delivered big time!

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

Isaiah White was in the house.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

Jack: Kresevic got caught with a roll through whizzer counter. I remember learning it in 8th grade. As your opponent whizzers you in a hip to hip situation, you roll across your own back and post his far knee. As I got older I realized how risky it was to use. It probably worked because no one in their right mind would teach it at the D1 level. He ended up in the whizzer situation because he got hit with the old Knee post firemans from the knees. Pete Nathanson was amazing with that move.

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Isaiah White was in the house."

Gotta think that White to Ohio State is a near certainty if he can get in. My guess is Cleary and White will battle it out next year for 165.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"Isaiah White was in the house."

Gotta think that White to Ohio State is a near certainty if he can get in. My guess is Cleary and White will battle it out next year for 165."

According to the MN board, NE is the leader right now. I don't know his top 2 but I know NE is in the running. NE has recruited some too talent this year.

Neb has done a great job. I just thought White's dream was tOSU. Maybe I'm wrong?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

That's my understanding too, Hank, but feeling like a 2nd or 3rd choice for months can set people in other directions.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"That's my understanding too, Hank, but feeling like a 2nd or 3rd choice for months can set people in other directions."

Good point.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 21, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jack: Kresevic got caught with a roll through whizzer counter. I remember learning it in 8th grade. As your opponent whizzers you in a hip to hip situation, you roll across your own back and post his far knee. As I got older I realized how risky it was to use. It probably worked because no one in their right mind would teach it at the D1 level. He ended up in the whizzer situation because he got hit with the old Knee post firemans from the knees. Pete Nathanson was amazing with that move."

It happened so fast I didn't know what happened, except he put him right on his back for 4 points. Up til that point I thought Kresevic was going to win.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 23, 2015

Hank,
It's interesting your comments on Jake Ryan. As I recall, he didn't have the prototypical DI recruit resume' coming in, aside from being Coach Ryan's kid. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even start wrestling until he was a frosh in HS. His learning curve has been tremendous thus far. I've been super impressed with his progression and sincerely believe he's going to continue being a legitimate contender down the road.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 23, 2015

I have a feeling that most of Jake's matches are going to look a lot like his state semifinal match against Edgar Bright. Few shots, lots of defense and taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself. 2-1 and 3-2 will probably be common scores. As long as he gets the win, I'll take it.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on November 23, 2015

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"I have a feeling that most of Jake's matches are going to look a lot like his state semifinal match against Edgar Bright. Few shots, lots of defense and taking advantage of any opportunity that presents itself. 2-1 and 3-2 will probably be common scores. As long as he gets the win, I'll take it."

The close matches is a big concern when trying to win a championship. When you're a opportunist vs initiator you decrease your chances of winning against better competition.

I hope Jake proves me wrong.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 23, 2015

" When you're a opportunist vs initiator you decrease your chances of winning against better competition. "

In general that is very true. Nick Heflin comes to mind as a defensive wrestler who was able to come within a few seconds of winning an NCAA championship.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3