Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Here's the Good News
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

It's not a perfect season for the Bucks. The seniors are struggling, My Mar should/shouldn't redshirt, Micah just lost, Papa Bo should be 165/174 (pick one) and Mark Hall blew them off for PSU. Not to mention we have no idea if/when Hunter comes back...

On the other hand...there's next year.
Nate, Ke-Shawn, Micah, Jake, Bo, Myles, Snyderman--that's seven potentially outstanding starters all of whom should be around for at least two full seasons.

And, the Godfather, Dan Cosimi, posted today for the first time in ages. That makes it a great day as far as I'm concerned.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

More good news. Cam Tessari just got his first report card since returning to college. He earned a 4.0. Cam has spent time walking in the wilderness and found a path that is taking him in a good direction. I'm very happy to see that he is prospering in school. Whatever he does this season as a wrestler is gravy.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"...

And, the Godfather, Dan Cosimi, posted today for the first time in ages. That makes it a great day as far as I'm concerned."

All I needed to read. My day/week/month has been made!

John DiJulius added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

My 2 cents;

1) don't forget we had three wrestlers who had to sit out from vegas due to injury that could of played a factor in the dual.

2) pre big 10 tournament, everything is spring training for coaches and wrestlers to work on.

3) i love the new stalling calls. While it seemed to hurt OSU the other night, it will force every wrestler to work harder for 7 full minutes and stop trying to just squeak out a 1 point victory (my son included). I actually think it will have a dramatic impact on some wrestlers if they don't adjust their style. In the past a stall warning was almost a good part of your game plan. now a wrestler can't afford to even get that because as we have seen you can get hit twice within 4 seconds. You will see a lot of matches determined by the new stalling calls and i believe literally take away 5-15 wins from a passive wrestler in one season. But it is what the sport needs to be more appealing. the challenge is which wrestler & teams will make the adjustment this year so quickly.

JDJ: You are a great guy and it's always a pleasure to hear your point of view. Agree completely--lot of season left and plenty of time to get guys squared away.

I have never been a fan of the stall call but agree that there is a lot to like about using it situationally. Next step would be to expand it's use to include wrestlers that stay on their knees in neutral (see Micah's bout vs Mizzou). That's a tactic to prevent action. Also, call it more aggressively in standing control situations.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

[quote="Hank Kornblut"]
Nate, Ke-Shawn, Micah, Jake, Bo, Myles, Snyderman--that's seven potentially outstanding starters all of whom should be around for at least two full seasons.

quote]
Is it too early to discuss whether we should RS Pletcher or not?
;-)

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"

"
Nate, Ke-Shawn, Micah, Jake, Bo, Myles, Snyderman--that's seven potentially outstanding starters all of whom should be around for at least two full seasons."

;-)"

tOSU is going to need Pletcher step in the lineup from day one IF he can make 125#, jmo.

Last edited by Dwight LeRoy on December 14, 2015; edited 1 time in total

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

[quote="Dwight LeRoy"]

"

"

quote]
;-)"

tOSU is going to need Pletcher step in the lineup from day one IF he can make 125#, jmo."

He just wrestled at 138 at the King of the Mountain tournament last weekend.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Wow, I didn't know that. Looks like there's going to be a log jam at 133/141 next year. Who's going to be the 125# starter if the NaTo bumps up which I think he should? The amount of weight he's cutting has to be brutal.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Wow, I didn't know that. Looks like there's going to be a log jam at 133/141 next year. Who's going to be the 125# starter if the NaTo bumps up which I think he should? The amount of weight he's cutting has to be brutal."

But he isn't growing. Why is he gaining so much weight? The age old wrestling debate. You want to max your strength to weight ratio, but what's the point in bumping up to the next weight? If you argue that as we get older our bones become more dense, I'd agree. But it seems as NaTo is just bulking up in the weight room. Isn't there a point where you get too bulky and decrease your range of motion?
Of course, Nate has earned the right to wrestle wherever he wants, but I think he could be a career 125/57kg.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

[quote="J.P. Barner"]

"

"

"

quote]
;-)"

tOSU is going to need Pletcher step in the lineup from day one IF he can make 125#, jmo."

I doubt that's his weight at the end of the season though - it's early and many wrestle 'up' only to drop a weight class as the state tourney gets closer. Bet he finishes at 132.

He just wrestled at 138 at the King of the Mountain tournament last weekend."

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

"

"

"
Nate, Ke-Shawn, Micah, Jake, Bo, Myles, Snyderman--that's seven potentially outstanding starters all of whom should be around for at least two full seasons."

;-)"

#StateFarm!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

I think we're pushing the panic button too early. If I may...this line-up at Big 10 is much better and still a distinct possibility:

125- Tomasello - will be top 3, could win again.
133- DJD - been on the bubble for 2+ years...could sneak an AA
141- Mick Jordan - Should AA
149- Stieber - Could win it or not place. I think he shows up (mostly b/c I want him to)
157- Ryan - This guy is undefeated. We all wrote him off.
165- Bo Jordan - 2nd or 3rd....but no one gave Logan a shot against the stud his freshman year...
174- Myles Martin - it's time. He's awesome. Play your cards.
184- Courts - Look, he AA'd. He's got the pop. We need one tournament.
197- Mark Martin - capable.
285- Tavanello - round of 12 as a sophomore. Pins guys.

In addition, unsubstantiated rumors out of Ok State have Jo Jo Smith in at 157, Marstellar to 165, Ringer to 74 and Crutch to 184. That makes Ok State better but also helps Jordan at 165 without really hurting our chances at 174.

I'm not ready to pack it in yet.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

I find it intriguing if they pull Smith's RS, because he would have to face IMar somewhere down the road. IMar beat some really really good wrestlers last year. The matchup would be awesome.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

125 - Agree
133 - What are the percentages of a senior AAing for the first time?
141 - Needs to wrestle more top 10 opponents before I can pass judgement.
149 - He'll be in the lineup and should AA
157 - see 141
165 - Not sure who's wrestling here
174 - Like to see Bo at this weight. Myles is redshirting, jmo
184 - Needs everything to lineup in order to AA
197 - see 133#
285 - Should do well in March

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next