Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Walsh Ironman Finals
Jeff Cole added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

You can check out the Ironman Finals by going to "2015 Cable 9 Walsh Ironman Finals" on youtube or go to cable9.org. Enjoy

Add to the discussion and quote this      

William Danforth added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Here is the link to the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqyQfkOvGl8

Bob and Logan

Link to finals photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.922370564516397.1073741974.279561248797335&type=1&l=973171483b

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"Here is the link to the video.

Bob and Logan

Link to finals photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.922370564516397.1073741974.279561248797335&type=1&l=973171483b"

#GranTorino

Bob, thanks for all your work with The Ironman.

Jeff, thanks for the videos. I, for one, almost always watch them the night you post them.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

Jeff:

Thanks for posting, appreciated.

Full disclosure -
Dylan Demilio's dad is a friend, wrestled with him in high school, at Oregon Cardinal Stritch, and lived with him in college, at tOSU.
So with that acknowledged bias, check out the 106lb match, at 1:04:52 of the tape.
How in the heck is that not exposure/back points?
I was thinking that the only question was whether it would be two or three (or four, or is that just college?), and they gave him zero.

But of course I'm thirty years removed from this sport, so I'm not even sure that I remember the rules anymore.

:-)

William Danforth added to this discussion on December 14, 2015

I was matside with my camera less than 6 feet from the action. There was back points earned and not given. The first takedown was quick, no reaction time. The takedown on the edge was a college out of bounds takedown. Both wrestlers had supporting parts out of bounds before takedown criteria was met.

Steve the PA official is usually top notch and has worked this event since 2001.

Looks like 45 degrees to me. I don't know either wrestler or their dads. I do talk to this ref a big events all over the country (Ironman, FloNationals, Super 32, Disney Duals)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

Clearly backpoints -- 2 or 3 -- but can't say that it decided the outcome because guys wrestle different based upon what the scoreboard says. #Kolatknows

Jeff Cole added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

Thanks everybody. We enjoy posting our productions. Just a reminder, on Wednesday, December 30th, we will post the finals of the Brecksville Holiday Tournament the same way we did the Ironman. Approximately 10:00-10:30 p.m., I will have the production on YouTube streaming and a day or 2 later on Cable 9.org. Please spread the word.

Jeff Cole, Executive Director, Cable 9

P.S. You "old timers" may enjoy going to our site to watch the finals of the 1975 Kenston Holiday Tournament. 40 years flew by!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

David Carr beats cadet world champ Verkleeren in 145 finals- instant classic

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/808981-145-f-david-carr-massillon-perry-oh-vs-jarod-verkleeren-belle-vernon-pa

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Clearly backpoints -- 2 or 3 -- but can't say that it decided the outcome because guys wrestle different based upon what the scoreboard says. #Kolatknows"

I know more now because I watched the video but we can't even say 2 or 3 from a picture because we are looking at a moment frozen in time. It is no different than seeing a kid flat on his back in a still picture and declaring it as proof that there was a pin.
For there to be either 2 or 3 points here, the wrestler had to be in that position for at least 2 seconds to a max of 5 seconds. We can not make that call from a still frame.
BTW, I am not picking a fight or defending the official.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

Jim:
Here's the link, fast forward to the 1:04:52 point, as referenced in my post, above.
Welcome your thoughts/input.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"Jim:
Here's the link, fast forward to the 1:04:52 point, as referenced in my post, above.
Welcome your thoughts/input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqyQfkOvGl8"

Casey,
I already saw the video (from the other side) and I have to admit that I have no idea what might have kept a score from occurring. It sure seemed like points were earned.
I can only guess that either the official didn't feel as though 45* was reached for a count of two (I can only see his arm sweep one time at 1:03:41) or he forgot that he counted when the situation took so long to end. Other than than, no clue.
My sole point is that a still picture doesn't tell us anything other than the back was meeting criteria when the picture was taken.
Your question is completely valid.

William Danforth added to this discussion on December 15, 2015

I took 6 pictures in a row in single click mode. The time stamp shows the photos spanned 4 seconds. My flash had time to recharge and fire a second time. That takes at least 2 seconds with fully charged batteries, this was the 8th match of the night so would have taken longer.

I can relate to your snap shot in time comment. I have many of photos with wrestlers looking like they were pinned in a flurry situation where it wasn't close to being an actual pin.

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on December 16, 2015

First of all I may be a little biased because I do know the Kid involved.So I apologize before hand If I am in the wrong.I have watched the match several times on cable 9 and flo . The ref clearly is in much better position than we are , and in "his" opinion and clearly in the video he swipes once ,then starts to swipe again but stops before a second swipe . It was his call clearly. This still picture reminds me of the Tony Ramos and Logan Stieber match and the so called pin.
Secondly Zeb and the second commentator on Flo acted as if Nate Keaton shouldnt be there .Nate is a multiple Jr. High State Placer , Super 32 placer , placed 4th in the state as a feshman. This photo is or was the topic on Flo ,Yappi, and here as well. The real story should be about him beating some very good talent, nationally ranked kids, and being the underdog. Myself personally know the family ,Nate lost his Mother this year to do to cancer, There Father is raising 4 kids on his own ,and Nate felt he was wrestling inspired because of his mom. His dad was in the chair .Myself it was a great moment, and showed the true heart of a lion and the human spirit . And by the way he had some slick takedowns in that match.Not lucky as Flo touched on .Sorry for the rant , But go Nate!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 16, 2015

106 was impossible to seed, Fickel, Haddad, Saylor and myself spent more time arguing over 106 and still didnt get it right, a 1 got to finals but a 14 seed won.

so many very good but lesser known kids at 106, i knew outcome would be fascinating, and it was. Keaton beat nationally ranked Nunez and Dunlop, Crace from SPG to get to finals. Many studs DNP.

maybe a bad no-call. However the exceptions make a tourn, many wts a 1 met a 3 in the finals, but at 106 seeders were humbled and Flo was baffled.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on December 16, 2015

Tommy:
Thanks for the info, and for weighing in.
Your comments are well-taken, at least from my perspective.
I thought I saw the ref make two successive swipes, and regardless, IMO he should have.
But as Brady noted, even assuming two or three backs, no way to tell how that would have impacted the remainder of the match.
Regardless, Nate looked and wrestled like an absolute stud, throughout the tourney, and is the Ironman champ, so congrats.
And very sorry, of course, to hear about the recent adversities he has overcome.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next