Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: KYLE SNYDER IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"HE won World Championship after competing an entire year in college last year. I think he can handle it this year."

I think many are forgetting this fact."

Also forgetting the fact that he gets to sit out entire mini tournament and only wrestles best 2 out of 3"

These facts were true when he decided to take the Olympic redshirt in the first place. If he felt last year's preparation was what he needed (particularly AFTER his amazing success on the senior circuit), he wouldn't have taken the red-shirt. He took it because he thought it was the best way train for the Olympics. Again, what changed?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Although fun to see from a fan perspective, I'm inclined to agree ^^.

You know what, my issues with this started a while ago when the talk about Jordan dropping and Martin coming out of red-shirt began to pop up. I made the case then for Martin staying in red-shirt because of the bigger upside of a fifth year (and building his body to 184)...but my real beef is about Bo Jordan cutting to 165 to finish second when he could likely dominate to a title at 174. So you blow a kids true freshman season, pull an undersized heavyweight away from the pursuit of a lifelong dream and make a captain go from heavy favorite to big underdog while cutting 10 pounds he doesn't really have. I just think it's a bad call.

Now if Martin is an All American and Bo Jordan upsets Derringer to win the 165-pound title and Snyder rolls through the heavyweight division and on to Olympic glory, along with Ohio State winning back-to-back titles then I will be totally wrong. But if that doesn't happen (all of it), then I'm right on this one.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"You know what, my issues with this started a while ago when the talk about Jordan dropping and Martin coming out of red-shirt began to pop up. I made the case then for Martin staying in red-shirt because of the bigger upside of a fifth year (and building his body to 184)...but my real beef is about Bo Jordan cutting to 165 to finish second when he could likely dominate to a title at 174. So you blow a kids true freshman season, pull an undersized heavyweight away from the pursuit of a lifelong dream and make a captain go from heavy favorite to big underdog while cutting 10 pounds he doesn't really have. I just think it's a bad call.

Now if Martin is an All American and Bo Jordan upsets Derringer to win the 165-pound title and Snyder rolls through the heavyweight division and on to Olympic glory, along with Ohio State winning back-to-back titles then I will be totally wrong. But if that doesn't happen (all of it), then I'm right on this one."

I'm with you on this. Just think of this scenerio. tOSU wins the NCAA championship and Kyle losses in the Olympic qualifier or in the first round of the Olympics. tOSU will be villified by the media for throwing away the young mans (and the country's) chance at Gold for the glory of good OSU and their coach. Regardless of why he might lose (this is the toughest freestyle tournament in the world) it will be blamed on this decision right or wrong. There will always be the what if. Now if Kyle and tOSU should happen to win the NCAAS and take home the gold this will be one of the greatest wrestling stories ever. I know what I believe but however this turns out it will be fascinating to see it unfold. As they say the die is cast.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

"You know what, my issues with this started a while ago when the talk about Jordan dropping and Martin coming out of red-shirt began to pop up. I made the case then for Martin staying in red-shirt because of the bigger upside of a fifth year (and building his body to 184)...but my real beef is about Bo Jordan cutting to 165 to finish second when he could likely dominate to a title at 174. So you blow a kids true freshman season, pull an undersized heavyweight away from the pursuit of a lifelong dream and make a captain go from heavy favorite to big underdog while cutting 10 pounds he doesn't really have. I just think it's a bad call.

Now if Martin is an All American and Bo Jordan upsets Derringer to win the 165-pound title and Snyder rolls through the heavyweight division and on to Olympic glory, along with Ohio State winning back-to-back titles then I will be totally wrong. But if that doesn't happen (all of it), then I'm right on this one."

1. How is Myle's season blown now? That's an absurd statement.
2. He's not forcing Kyle to do what he's doing. Have you listened to and read any of the interviews with Kyle? Kyle stated he didn't know that this was possible, that's what changed.
3. Bo is hardly a big underdog. It's also been stated he wants to wrestle Dieringer, what's wrong with that?

I've always thought your statements were well thought out and reasonable, but I think you are taking all this a little personal. I mean, come on.........both Kyle and Myle's parents were involved in the decision, as well as the wrestlers themselves. (most likely Bo as well) To make this out like Tom Ryan only cares about winning team titles and to hell with the individual is ridiculous.

John Joyce added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

Not to mention that you fail to recognize the possibility of an injury at some point in a wrestler's college career that could "waste" a year of eligibility because of redshirting as a freshman. There is a significant percentage of these athletes that could potentially sit a year due to injury. Just another factor that must be considered in these cases, along with everything else.

Alex...I'm not taking it personally. I have dog in this fight, it's just wrestling talk on a forum. I think Coach Ryan is a good coach and by all accounts a great guy. These decisions aren't really inconsistent with his philosophy. He's always been about putting his best team on the mat. I just think this one has the potential to play out negatively for a couple of kids (in the same way it played out negitivy for Sponseller).

As far as you point about me saying Martin's season was blown...you're right, it's not. He could do great things this year that springboard him to future successes. It's not right for me to suggest otherwise. I stand by my earlier statement that he would be better served to have a fifth year, but opinions vary.

You points about Snyder are valid as well. I get that he's enthusiastic to come back and lead the team to another title. But he was also clear about it being Coach Ryan's idea and I think he'd be better served by continuing on his Olympic red-shirt course. Obviously he and Coach Ryan know the situation better than I do...but if we never chimed in on stuff that was decided by people that know more than us it would be a pretty boring forum.

Finally, I think Bo is incredible. I think he could not lose another bout in college if he was at the right weight. I think he'll be a multiple time NCAA champion. I also don't think he'll beat Derringer. I see him as as big an underdog as any #2 guy. At 174 he's a clear favorite. It's a no-brainer for me, particularly considering my position on Martin's red-shirt.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

M-Rod in this sport you know just as good as anyone there is no guarantee Snyder would win the trials, Olympics, or NCAA title if he focused on just one. Your definitely hedging your bets on Kyle Snyder. However, sacrificing personal goals for the team is selflessness. The culture at OSU has shown time and time again under coach Ryan that the team is bigger than self. Bo Jordan doesn't have to cut to 165 but he wants to challenge Dieringer. That is what makes him special. Kyle Snyder isn't human he has no other interest but wrestling. One of the first people he discussed his decision with was Tervel. The advice Tervel gave him was to not have an excuse. Kyle Snyder, Bo Jordan, Logan Stieber, and Nathan Tomasello aren't your typical athletes and TR isn't your average coach.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

"Alex...I'm not taking it personally. I have dog in this fight, it's just wrestling talk on a forum. I think Coach Ryan is a good coach and by all accounts a great guy. These decisions aren't really inconsistent with his philosophy. He's always been about putting his best team on the mat. I just think this one has the potential to play out negatively for a couple of kids (in the same way it played out negitivy for Sponseller).

As far as you point about me saying Martin's season was blown...you're right, it's not. He could do great things this year that springboard him to future successes. It's not right for me to suggest otherwise. I stand by my earlier statement that he would be better served to have a fifth year, but opinions vary.

You points about Snyder are valid as well. I get that he's enthusiastic to come back and lead the team to another title. But he was also clear about it being Coach Ryan's idea and I think he'd be better served by continuing on his Olympic red-shirt course. Obviously he and Coach Ryan know the situation better than I do...but if we never chimed in on stuff that was decided by people that know more than us it would be a pretty boring forum.

Finally, I think Bo is incredible. I think he could not lose another bout in college if he was at the right weight. I think he'll be a multiple time NCAA champion. I also don't think he'll beat Derringer. I see him as as big an underdog as any #2 guy. At 174 he's a clear favorite. It's a no-brainer for me, particularly considering my position on Martin's red-shirt."

That's the articulate m-rod I'm used to reading. :) All valid opinions.

There is a team aspect to this sport that does require some sacrifice on the part of the individual.

Btw, I think that at least half the time a coach redshirts someone, it's more for the benefit of the team than the individual. I have nothing to back that up, just a feeling.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"...Kyle Snyder, Bo Jordan, Logan Stieber, and Nathan Tomasello aren't your typical athletes and TR isn't your average coach."

I agree completely.

Alex...I agree with you about coaches taking red-shirts to help the team. Often they fit into a puzzle of graduating seniors and up-and-comers. That's one of the reasons I took issue. Martin and Synder red-shirting "fit", you know?

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

The question was asked what changed? Just maybe when Kyle took the Olympic red shirt there was to many unknowns as far as the lineup and I will touch on a just few Nobody knew at that time that Micah would get to 141 and feel comfortable because that was not guaranteed Nobody knew about Hunter I hear he is coming along great by the way, Have to root for a kid like that, Nobody knew how Mark would adjust to 197, Nobody including myself knew Myles would go 174, Nobody knew Bo would go 165 and I asked him myself and he seemed Ok with that decision so it was a lot of uncertainty and just maybe at that time they thought a national title was out of reach and now they feel different and maybe so does Kyle I hear allot of great opinions but the fact of the matter is everything that is being discussed there is one important FACT that remains the same and that is the kids wanted to do it

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

The bottom line is this: Myles Martin and Kyle Snyder made their decisions, irrespective of conjecture on this or any other forum.

I'll start with Kyle Snyder:

He's the world freestyle champion and NCAA runner-up as a true freshman. He achieved both while wrestling in both disciplines.

Do you think he's got the mentality of being afraid that he might jeopardize his chance as an Olympic Champ because he wrestled folk?

No way. Way too tough for that.

Myles Martin: Probably itching to get in there to help his team. Is he worried that he's not going to be strong enough as a true frosh to achieve his goals? Is he fearful or naive?

No way. Way too tough for that.

What if it doesn't turn out?

That is: Kyle as Olympic Champ and NCAA Champ.
Myles as high AA or Champ?

Well, life is tough. It's interesting. It's challenging.
It's out there.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on January 5, 2016

I wish there was a like button Doug Last year Kyle and Bo both dreamed of being 4 time NCAA champions but it did not happen but guess what did they both woke up the next morning and went to practice :)

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 6, 2016

"

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Jeff Reid's post:

"HE won World Championship after competing an entire year in college last year. I think he can handle it this year."

I think many are forgetting this fact."

Also forgetting the fact that he gets to sit out entire mini tournament and only wrestles best 2 out of 3"

These facts were true when he decided to take the Olympic redshirt in the first place. If he felt last year's preparation was what he needed (particularly AFTER his amazing success on the senior circuit), he wouldn't have taken the red-shirt. He took it because he thought it was the best way train for the Olympics. Again, what changed?"

He took the olympic redshirt so he could wrestle overseas at the various, and few, tournaments to get his experience. They have figured out a plan where he can focus, get the freestyle training needed prior to said tournaments and still fit in qualifying duals and eventually big tens and nationals. He's not going to be competing in march, what's wrong with a little fun before going and winning the trials? He's the only one with skin in the game, let's support a ballsy move instead of playing a game of chicken little.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 6, 2016

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

".... let's support a ballsy move instead of playing a game of chicken little."

That is a fairly pejorative statement to make about Michael's reasoned contribution to this discussion.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next