Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Nolf (PSU) vs. IMar (ILL)
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"IMar seems to subscribe to the Steve Prefontaine philosophy that, "The only good pace is suicide pace, and today's a good day to die." "

Pre never won a medal at Worlds, maybe would have if lived longer, long distance runners often peak later but fact is he didnt -- just missed bronze 72 olympics, and like many legendary American long distance runners when they got on World stage were a legend-not-so-much. Mary Decker, Suzie Favor. Goes for many American wrestlers too. Worlds are just different.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"IMar seems to subscribe to the Steve Prefontaine philosophy that, "The only good pace is suicide pace, and today's a good day to die." "

Pre never won a medal at Worlds, maybe would have if lived longer, long distance runners often peak later but fact is he didnt -- just missed bronze 72 olympics, and like many legendary American long distance runners when they got on World stage were a legend-not-so-much. Mary Decker, Suzie Favor. Goes for many American wrestlers too. Worlds are just different."

Mary Decker Tabb won gold at the '83 Worlds in the 1500 and 3000. 1984 was year of the famous Zola Budd trip that took her out of the 3000 Olympic finals.

She's now 57 years old, Bob- can you believe it?

Suzi Favor Hamilton is a story unto itself. Some of you may have heard what's happened to her in the last few years.

Ian Stewart said that he didn't deserve bronze at the 1972 Olympic 5000- Pre did for all his effort to win. Others say that Stewart was being generous. Stewart ran a 55 sec last lap, so he was working hard, as were all of them. That's probably the best distance final I've ever watched (on tv).

I was at the '72 Olympics, having traveled from Aschaffenburg to Munich when I was in the Army. Spent the first week there and saw Mark Spitz swim, along with some track and field and some other events. Didn't see any wrestling. Didn't see Pre, either. Left right before the tragedy to go to Garmisch. Heard about it when I got there.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k

Dave Wottle from Canton, 800 meter gold '72 Olympics

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k

Dave Wottle from Canton, 800 meter gold '72 Olympics"

Boy, his name brings back memories. I certainly remember watching that race. I was a half-miler in high school at the time so I followed his career fairly closely. When I went out for track in college we had a few Kenyans on the team who ran the half mile. My college had a cinder track and during practice laps they would be ahead of me, kicking the cinders into my face all around the track.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Doug, great u made it to the legendary - and infamous--72 Olympics. What memories u have!

thanks for corecting my error, Mary Decker did win 2 World golds, at 73 Worlds. Mary Decker star crossed in Olympic comp, inj in '76, boycoted by prez Carter in '80, tripped up in incident with Budd in '84, DNP in '88, did not qaulify in 92.

But no doubt Decker still very great, just not fortunate internationally, given her resume. From Wikopedia:

During her career, she won gold medals in the 1500 meters and 3000 meters at the 1983 World Championships, and was the world record holder in the mile, 5000 meters and 10,000 meters. In total, she set 17 official and unofficial world records, including being the first woman in history to run inside 4:20 for the mile. She also set 36 US national records at distances ranging from 800 meters to 10,000 meters,[1] and has held the US record in the mile, 2000 meters and 3000 meters since the early 1980s, while her 1500 meters record stood for 32 years.

Bob, we stayed at the General Patton Hotel when we got to Garmisch. One of my Army buddies reminded me that Jim Ryan's parents stayed there, and that we talked to them. I totally forgot, which is hard to believe, because I grew up a big Jim Ryan fan, and he was on tv all the time back in those days.

The General Patton is now closed.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Doug Brandt's post:

"Bob, we stayed at the General Patton Hotel when we got to Garmisch. One of my Army buddies reminded me that Jim Ryan's parents stayed there, and that we talked to them. I totally forgot, which is hard to believe, because I grew up a big Jim Ryan fan, and he was on tv all the time back in those days.

The General Patton is now closed."

Just a slight correction. His last name is spelled Ryun.
Met him once and was star struck.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 26, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

Boy, his name brings back memories. I certainly remember watching that race. I was a half-miler in high school at the time so I followed his career fairly closely. When I went out for track in college we had a few Kenyans on the team who ran the half mile. My college had a cinder track and during practice laps they would be ahead of me, kicking the cinders into my face all around the track."

Yeah I remember watching that race and his semi heat. It was so cool how he was last at the end of the first lap and then would pick them off the second lap. I was a sophomore in HS before that summer, we had a cinder track too.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

"Bob, we stayed at the General Patton Hotel when we got to Garmisch. One of my Army buddies reminded me that Jim Ryan's parents stayed there, and that we talked to them. I totally forgot, which is hard to believe, because I grew up a big Jim Ryan fan, and he was on tv all the time back in those days.

The General Patton is now closed."

Just a slight correction. His last name is spelled Ryun.
Met him once and was star struck."

You are right, Jim. Looks like I pulled a Streebler. :)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

"

"

Boy, his name brings back memories. I certainly remember watching that race. I was a half-miler in high school at the time so I followed his career fairly closely. When I went out for track in college we had a few Kenyans on the team who ran the half mile. My college had a cinder track and during practice laps they would be ahead of me, kicking the cinders into my face all around the track."

Yeah I remember watching that race and his semi heat. It was so cool how he was last at the end of the first lap and then would pick them off the second lap. I was a sophomore in HS before that summer, we had a cinder track too."

And the hat. Didn't he always run with a baseball cap?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Loved Dave Wottle! Old enough to remember his ability to come back and win races. Ah, the good old days when Americans who stood out in all sports seemed to get a little publicity. Now, we hear more about bad college basketball players than Jordan Burroughs.

Went to a college fair in 1980--and Wottle was there. Most people didn't know who he was and I was star struck. Such a nice guy--he was working for his alma mater (don't remember the school).

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"

"

Yeah I remember watching that race and his semi heat. It was so cool how he was last at the end of the first lap and then would pick them off the second lap. I was a sophomore in HS before that summer, we had a cinder track too."

And the hat. Didn't he always run with a baseball cap?"

And during his gold medal ceremony, he was so overcome, he forgot to take the cap off!!!

He caught a little bit of heat for not removing his cap during the National Anthem, but for the most part he was forgiven the miss step.

Last edited by Steve Lester on January 27, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Here's an excellent interview of Dave Wottle from 2010:

http://oh.milesplit.com/articles/37682/an-interview-with-dave-wottle

Here's the 1969 NCAA Cross Country results:

https://www.trackandfieldnews.com/images/stories/NCAA_XC_PDFs/1969-men.pdf

Pre was 3rd. He won the other three years he competed (red shirt in '72.)

Wottle's teammate Sid Sink was 12th. Wottle was 30th. My friend Dan McCrone, who ran for Ignatius, and who I later ran with frequently when we both worked at OSU Hospitals, was 139th. Dan still has the 2 mile record at Ignatius.

You can find the other years by changing the "1969" to "1970", etc. in the address. Lots of well known names.

This has strayed from the original post, so I'll conclude here. :)

Last edited by Doug Brandt on January 27, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Loved Dave Wottle! Old enough to remember his ability to come back and win races. Ah, the good old days when Americans who stood out in all sports seemed to get a little publicity. Now, we hear more about bad college basketball players than Jordan Burroughs.

Went to a college fair in 1980--and Wottle was there. Most people didn't know who he was and I was star struck. Such a nice guy--he was working for his alma mater (don't remember the school)."

Unless I am losing what few brain cells are left, he went to BGSU.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 27, 2016

" My friend Dan McCrone, who ran for Ignatius, and who I later ran with frequently when we both worked at OSU Hospitals, was 139th. Dan still has the 2 mile record at Ignatius. "

I haven't heard Dan McCrone's name in years. The two of us went to the University of Cincinnati. I was "okay" as a runner while he was 2nd in the state as a 2 miler. The thing I remember most clearly is that we were doing hill repeats in (I think) Burnett Woods. It was on a hill going up to our left. I was working pretty darned hard when Dan came from behind and just walked away from me. It was like he had at least one gear more than I did. That was in late '69 and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the beginning of realizing that there were a lot of runners better than me.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next