Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. PSU: Match Ups?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

The Illinois match was the first time I'd seen PSU wrestle this season...impressive and consistent.

How do they match up in the dual with tOSU?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Illini matched up well with PSU but someone forgot to tell Nolf he was supposed to lose. Brunson was supposed to have a close match with Nickal. And no Ervin at 141 hurt a lot.

Ohio State has a shot at this dual:
125: nate v nikko--very close on paper with slight edge to nate.
133: JDJ v Conaway--Similar to 125. Can JDJ get to his offense?
141: Micah v Guilbon--slight advantage to tOSU.
So...Bucks can win first three. Let's call it 9-0 and see what happens
149: Zain v Hunter--MD for Zain based on what I've seen. 9-4
157: Nolf v Jake--Jake has to show up to compete. If he does, he can limit the damage. 9-8 tOSU
165: Bo v Shakur--Shakur keeps getting better. Can Bo turn him? 12-8 tOSU
174: Nickal v Martin--close match the first time. Gotta give it to PSU for sake of prognostication. 12-11
184: Key match. I'd pick a healthy McCutcheon over Courts but McCutcheon has been hurt and injury defaulted against Illini. If McCutcheon can't go...or is not 100%..it could change the match. 14-12 PSU
197: Martin v McIntosh--MD for PSU although I think it's possible Martin returns to lineup with renewed vigor. He's still capable of doing well at this weight. 19-12PSU
285: Snyder by TF 19-19

Keys: Every match will matter but esp. the first three weights. Bucks need to win them all to pull the upset.

Is Gulibon the highest ranked opponent Micah has seen so far this season?

My impression is that JDJ frequently ties up an arm/elbow and gets stuck underneath, then gets scored on from neutral shortly into the first period. Does it make sense for him to keep fighting through/for good position for awhile looking for a better opportunity to score a takedown?

McCutcheon's injury (in slow motion) looked particularly noteworthy.

If MyMar beats Nickal, what does this do to the rankings/post-season seeding at this weight class?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Illini matched up well with PSU but someone forgot to tell Nolf he was supposed to lose. Brunson was supposed to have a close match with Nickal. And no Ervin at 141 hurt a lot.

Ohio State has a shot at this dual:
125: nate v nikko--very close on paper with slight edge to nate.
133: JDJ v Conaway--Similar to 125. Can JDJ get to his offense?
141: Micah v Guilbon--slight advantage to tOSU.
So...Bucks can win first three. Let's call it 9-0 and see what happens
149: Zain v Hunter--MD for Zain based on what I've seen. 9-4
157: Nolf v Jake--Jake has to show up to compete. If he does, he can limit the damage. 9-8 tOSU
165: Bo v Shakur--Shakur keeps getting better. Can Bo turn him? 12-8 tOSU
174: Nickal v Martin--close match the first time. Gotta give it to PSU for sake of prognostication. 12-11
184: Key match. I'd pick a healthy McCutcheon over Courts but McCutcheon has been hurt and injury defaulted against Illini. If McCutcheon can't go...or is not 100%..it could change the match. 14-12 PSU
197: Martin v McIntosh--MD for PSU although I think it's possible Martin returns to lineup with renewed vigor. He's still capable of doing well at this weight. 19-12PSU
285: Snyder by TF 19-19

Keys: Every match will matter but esp. the first three weights. Bucks need to win them all to pull the upset."

Thanks, Hank.

BTW-I thought I heard Nickal throw down a subtle Texas brisket challenge in his post-match interview, like he and his dad wanted to challenge Mister Brisket to a duel...gonna put up with that, SAC?

I think you should show up to the PSU dual ready to duel with a Mister Brisket vendors cart... :)

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Hank,

Good look at the dual. The match score is incorrect though on the last two weights

If Martin gets majored and Snyder techs..

Final score is PSU winning 18-17

If Ryan keeps it to a decision we win on criteria 17-17

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

[quote="Justin Hayes"]Is Gulibon the highest ranked opponent Micah has seen so far this season?

No he wrestled

#7 Preston - Won (He might have been higher at the time they wrestled)
#9 Manly - Lost
#10 Chisko- Won Same as Preston I believe he was ranked higher.

[quote="James Kessen"]

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Is Gulibon the highest ranked opponent Micah has seen so far this season?

No he wrestled

#7 Preston - Won (He might have been higher at the time they wrestled)
#9 Manly - Lost
#10 Chisko- Won Same as Preston I believe he was ranked higher."

I'm slow; for some reason I thought Gulibon was ranked #5.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Courts did beat McCutcheon in OT at NCAA, so I wouldn't count him out. He may have a plan to beat him again.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Quote from Cameron Stewart's post:

"Hank,

Good look at the dual. The match score is incorrect though on the last two weights

If Martin gets majored and Snyder techs..

Final score is PSU winning 18-17

If Ryan keeps it to a decision we win on criteria 17-17"

It was really early when I put together that summation. That's my excuse anyway.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on January 24, 2016

Appreciate the breakdown, but I was impressed by PSU's approach v Ill. the other night - every guy came out to attack. And I was unimpressed by OSU v Mich last week for the same reason.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

125- NaTo has more difficulties scoring against guys who have exceptional stall tactics. That being said you have to beat the champ to be the champ. NaTo dec Nico 5-4

133- JDJ hasn't had a signature win thus far this season. Jordan Conway will have the home court advantage. 4-3 Conway

141- Micah has a plethora of takedowns and a good gas tank. Gulibon took 6th at Big Tens last year and a surprising 5th at NCAA's. If Micah can dictate pace he wins, but if Gulibon slows the match down like Manley from Mizz he can get the win. It is a hostile environment for a redshirt freshman. I'm taking Micah 7-6.

149- Zain has improved drastically from a stellar freshman campaign and redshirting last season. I think has earned bonus points in 21/23 matches! Hunter is far from his AA form. I would rather see Hunter not wrestling this match after seeing yesterday's performance. Either way it is at least a MD maybe more for the Nittany loin.

157- Jake Ryan has been a pleasant surprise in his progression since enrolling at OSU. However, Noff is a hammer and bonus points are unavoidable for Ryan. Tech

165- BoJo is one of the most consistent guys in the country. He only has two losses in his career (Dieringer, and Cousin). When we needed big bonus points BoJO has always came through. We need a Pin to keep this dual in reach and he comes through once again with the Bo-nana split!

174- One of the most anticipated bouts of the dual meet. My Martin only a true freshman is as talented as they come. Bo Nickels is considered a upper body wizard. Contrasting styles last time they meet up at the Nittany Loin open Nickels prevailed 4-3. In front of a sellout crowd My Martin pulls the minor upset in my opinion. 6-3

184- KC has had a career similar to Wall Street up and down. He has had the highest highs AA at last year NCAA's. This year he was tech by Miklus 16-0. He hasn't had a signature win this year. He is up against McCutcheon who is very familiar with competitively. KC hasn't showed that AA form this season so PSU by dec. 7-3

197- Mark Martin is still dinged up and I hope he is back for this dual because I think he can hold McIntosh to just a major. If Fox wrestles it is a pin for PSU.

285- The World Champ has the best motor in the United States period. If the dual will be decided by the outcome of this match KS will score the necessary bonus points via pin, tech, or MD.

I have it 19-15 in favor of Penn State going into the 285 match and I like are chances.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"141-Gulibon took 6th at Big Tens last year and a surprising 5th at NCAA's"

This is where I got sidetracked thinking Gulibon was currently ranked 5th.

#StillSlow

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

JDJ did beat the #6 ranked kid already this year and Conaway is #5 so
I would say JDJ has had a signature win

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

JDJ has a history of doing well against an opponent the first time they wrestle. Partial list of wrestlers JDJ has beaten in their first meeting: Rossi Bruno, Cory Clark, Joe Colon, Cody Brewer, Earl Hall. These guys are all former AA's/NCAA Champs. Odds of JDJ beating Conaway are above 50% in my opinion.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"JDJ has a history of doing well against an opponent the first time they wrestle. Partial list of wrestlers JDJ has beaten in their first meeting: Rossi Bruno, Cory Clark, Joe Colon, Cody Brewer, Earl Hall. These guys are all former AA's/NCAA Champs. Odds of JDJ beating Conaway are above 50% in my opinion."

absolutely! I think JDJ can beat him I'm just trying to give PSU a win through their 11th man.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next