Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. PSU: Match Ups?
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 30, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"JDJ did beat the #6 ranked kid already this year and Conaway is #5 so
I would say JDJ has had a signature win"

Thanks I just notice that after the post.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rich Brunetti added to this discussion on January 31, 2016

I think OSU has to win 6 matches here to win the dual because 5-5 is not going to cut it.

Zain's last 3 matches vs. Sueflon, Tsirtsis & Panteleo - Major, Major, Fall (when up 15-3)

Nolf's last 2 vs IMAR and BMurphy - Fall, Tech

The over under for PSU team points at 49 and 57 is 10.5.

Plus, you have potential bonus at 174 & 197 (I know nobody wants to hear 174, but Nickal has an ability to pin almost everyone - not saying he will).

For OSU, you are pretty much looking at only 165 and 285. Shakur is pretty good on top, so BoJo will have to keep match on feet for bonus and not let Shakur bleed away a chunk of the match. And Kyle Snyder has exactly 0 falls and 2 TFs in his career.

OSU pretty much has to go 4-4 at 125, 133, 141 & 184. That will be a tall order at Penn State.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Rich: You nailed it. UM and Illinois both had squads that looked as if they could compete. PSU has a way of winning the ones that look close on paper--and convincingly.

I'd be thrilled if the Bucks win four of ten and don't get blown out. Something along the lines of 26-16.

PSU is a juggernaut right now. Bucks are a strong but typical BT squad with ups and downs.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

I'm wondering if tOSU is going to have a full lineup excluding Mark Martin because of his concussion status. Based on the last week or so, I can see 149#, 157# & 197# missing from the lineup.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"I'm wondering if tOSU is going to have a full lineup excluding Mark Martin because of his concussion status. Based on the last week or so, I can see 149#, 157# & 197# missing from the lineup."

We are expected to win those wts anyways and many are predicting bonus for PSU.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

This match looks like a pretty clear cut 4-6 split in Penn State's favor. 125, 141, 165 and 285 to Ohio State and 133, 149, 157, 174, 184 and 197 to PSU. With likely bonus at 149 and 157 for Nittany Lions and possible bonus at 165 and 285 for the Buckeyes. 22-16 Penn State.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"This match looks like a pretty clear cut 4-6 split in Penn State's favor. 125, 141, 165 and 285 to Ohio State and 133, 149, 157, 174, 184 and 197 to PSU. With likely bonus at 149 and 157 for Nittany Lions and possible bonus at 165 and 285 for the Buckeyes. 22-16 Penn State."

I disagree about 133 be clear cut and McCutchen didn't wrestle Sunday so not sure he will wrestle this weekend and Courts is 2-0 vs him.

I agree with you that if 184 is a back-up for Penn State and Ohio State gets the (slight) upset at 133 then you're in business. Obviously, we differ on whether or not that will happen.

"I agree with you that if 184 is a back-up for Penn State and Ohio State gets the (slight) upset at 133 then you're in business. Obviously, we differ on whether or not that will happen."

I won't be shocked either way about 133.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

I think we have a decent shot at 174 too.

I won't be shocked, but if I had to put money on it, I'm going with Conway. Losses to Synon, Bruno, Alber and most recently to Luke Welch of Purdue look problematic to me. Conway's losses are to Zane Richards and Nahshon Garrett. To be fair, they both lost to Richards by similar scores.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 1, 2016

"This match looks like a pretty clear cut 4-6 split in Penn State's favor. 125, 141, 165 and 285 to Ohio State and 133, 149, 157, 174, 184 and 197 to PSU. With likely bonus at 149 and 157 for Nittany Lions and possible bonus at 165 and 285 for the Buckeyes. 22-16 Penn State."

Mike, I think you have to throw in bonus points for sure at 197 also for PSU. We don't have anyone that can go with McIntosh. Even if Martin wrestles, he's lost too much time off, IMO.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from Rich Brunetti's post:

"I think OSU has to win 6 matches here to win the dual because 5-5 is not going to cut it.

Zain's last 3 matches vs. Sueflon, Tsirtsis & Panteleo - Major, Major, Fall (when up 15-3)

Nolf's last 2 vs IMAR and BMurphy - Fall, Tech

The over under for PSU team points at 49 and 57 is 10.5.

Plus, you have potential bonus at 174 & 197 (I know nobody wants to hear 174, but Nickal has an ability to pin almost everyone - not saying he will).
This is not the Snyder of last year. He just teched a guy at the yarygin, and blew through Nebraskas offering.

For OSU, you are pretty much looking at only 165 and 285. Shakur is pretty good on top, so BoJo will have to keep match on feet for bonus and not let Shakur bleed away a chunk of the match. And Kyle Snyder has exactly 0 falls and 2 TFs in his career.

OSU pretty much has to go 4-4 at 125, 133, 141 & 184. That will be a tall order at Penn State."

Cameron Stewart added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

According to the press release from PSU we have no Hunter and either Jake Ryan or Kresevic at 57. Good news is we do have Snyder.

Here is my attempt at an unbias prediction...

125 - Nato beats Mega on a one takedown match
3-0 good guys
133 - JDJ loses close to Conaway. Major match points at stake here as JDJ is definitely good enough to beat him.
3-3
141 - Micah looks good right now. I am going to give him a major here over Guilibon but that might be the homer in me.
7-3 good guys
149 - I think Zain is the best p4p wrestler in the country right now. 6 no matter who we throw out there. (Hozan or Davis)
7-9
157 - I think it is a tech fall as Nolf has been teching/pinning everyone in his path. Would love to hold it to a major but going to give them 5.
7-14
165 - Rasheed is good but BoJo looked great against Welch (granted Rasheed pinned welch) but I am going to give Bo the major. The 4 point nearfall really helps him in this case.
11-14
174 - Last time Bo and MyMar went at it it was 4-3 Bo with a controversial call. Can MyMar win? Absolutely. But I am going to give the edge to Bo.
11-17
184 - Assuming they don't rush McCutcheon back in for a dual before B1G's and it is a back up. Gonna give Kenny the decision, but this weight seems to be a toss up.
14-17
197 - Assuming we don't rush a concussed Martin back either and Rozema goes. Assuming tech fall here as McIntosh has been brilliant this year.
14-22
Heavy - Snyder man easy. Hoping for a tech but that seems like a lot for a guy who doesn't wrestle top. I wouldn't want to face him after losing a close one in Siberia.
18-22 Final

If JDJ wins or if a couple guys keep it close against elite competition we win the dual. The hard part is, it is a sellout crowd for PSU and the stall calls will be flying.

Here's to hoping/praying I'm way off and we pin 'em all!

Go Bucks!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

I wonder if the refs will stop Bo's power half like they stopped Logan's arm bar? They seemed to be waiting for it... Could Sanderson & Co. possibly talk to the refs about it before the match?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next