Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio state next year
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 23, 2016

The big variable in the growth of wrestling is the continued rivalry between OSU and Penn State. I have the feeling this could finally be huge. Passionate and irrational fans make for intense rivalry.

My dad forwarded me this:

http://www.scout.com/college/penn-state/forums/2977-on-the-mats/14643501-i-hate-ohio-st?s=157&page=1

Kind of has the feel of OSU v UM in football

Add to the discussion and quote this      

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 23, 2016

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"The big variable in the growth of wrestling is the continued rivalry between OSU and Penn State. I have the feeling this could finally be huge. Passionate and irrational fans make for intense rivalry.

My dad forwarded me this:

http://www.scout.com/college/penn-state/forums/2977-on-the-mats/14643501-i-hate-ohio-st?s=157&page=1

Kind of has the feel of OSU v UM in football"

It's like they don't know how good they have it - that they so fixated on us when they're basically set to win the next 4-5 titles. But heck, rivalries are good and fun.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2016

Even though the Bucks took 3rd, it felt like they'd won it when Bo, Nate, Myles and Kyle all won their last matches.

PSU has an edge on everyone in recruiting. It will take a minor miracle to overtake them regardless of which team is returning how many points. But it's great to be part of the conversation as to who has a shot to take them out.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 27, 2016

I just watched the Mark Hall interview after the PWC. He definitely alludes the question as to what his plans are for next season. But he goes on to mention his coaches in the immediate future are Coach Slay and Coach Cael. That definitely lends credence to the idea he's taking a grey shirt year to seek FS success at the OTC. Am I alone in reading between the lines there?

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 27, 2016

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"I just watched the Mark Hall interview after the PWC. He definitely alludes the question as to what his plans are for next season. But he goes on to mention his coaches in the immediate future are Coach Slay and Coach Cael. That definitely lends credence to the idea he's taking a grey shirt year to seek FS success at the OTC. Am I alone in reading between the lines there?"

There were comments on the PSU/Scout forum that he may not wrestle for PSU for two years, RS and Olympic years.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 27, 2016

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"

"I just watched the Mark Hall interview after the PWC. He definitely alludes the question as to what his plans are for next season. But he goes on to mention his coaches in the immediate future are Coach Slay and Coach Cael. That definitely lends credence to the idea he's taking a grey shirt year to seek FS success at the OTC. Am I alone in reading between the lines there?"

There were comments on the PSU/Scout forum that he may not wrestle for PSU for two years, RS and Olympic years."

Well -- that wouldn't work with the Olympics this summer. Next year he could only red shirt or grey shirt (taking year off school).

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"

There were comments on the PSU/Scout forum that he may not wrestle for PSU for two years, RS and Olympic years."

Well -- that wouldn't work with the Olympics this summer. Next year he could only red shirt or grey shirt (taking year off school)."

Guess I read that wrong...:)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

I agree something seemed a little off. I was expecting him to say how excited he was and how he couldn't wait to get there and help the team win a national title and win one himself but there was non of that. I almost felt like it wouldn't be a complete shock if he never went to college.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

My expectation is that he defers a year, then enrolls in Fall 2017. He may RS in 2017-18 and not officially compete until Fall 2018.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"My expectation is that he defers a year, then enrolls in Fall 2017. He may RS in 2017-18 and not officially compete until Fall 2018."

so in retrospect ohio st may be better off with Isaiah White, remains to be seen but perhaps its the case if White can start next season and do well? -- after all Nevills thing looked like a bad break at the time but worked out well for ohio st having nations best Hvwt anyway. Funny how things do or don't work out looking back.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

I'm wondering if it's a situation where $$$ has to be freed up before Hall can attend PSU. I too find it interesting that he hasn't verbally announced when he plans on officially enrolling at PSU.

" they so fixated on us when they're basically set to win the next 4-5 titles. "

imo Penn st no lock, megaludis and mcintosh cant be replaced-- when will Hall wr for penn st ??
125 suriano
133 cortez
141 gulibon
149 retherford 1
157 nolf 1 or 2
165 vincenzo joseph ??
174 nickal 1 or 2
184 mccutheon
197 cassal ??
285 nevills

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

imo Penn st no lock, megaludis and mcintosh cant be replaced-- when will Hall wr for penn st ??
125 suriano
133 cortez
141 gulibon
149 retherford 1
157 nolf 1 or 2
165 vincenzo joseph ??
174 nickal 1 or 2
184 mccutheon
197 cassal ??
285 nevills"

BOB P?

How do you think OSU will stand up against that lineup next year.

I see OSU clearly winning 125/141/174/184 & 285.
I see PSU clearly winning 149 & 157.
I think that 133/165 & 197 could be toss-ups.

I know that you are probably a little more familiar with the newer PSU names than I have, but those guys like Cassal, Joseph, and Cortez are all unproven at the college level at this point, just like Hayes, Pletcher, and Moore are.

Maybe I'm a little optimistic, but I don't see PSU as a huge favorite here as they were last year?

agree PatA, ohio st can beat em next season, so can okla st if Hall not in lineup

not only that but if penn states probable recruit Spencer Lee takes a RS as i expect, buckeyes have chance to beat em next 2 years assuming Snyder in lineup.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 28, 2016

I would give the edge tOSU at 133# Jose Rodriguez vs Jared Cortez. Their common opponent is Scott Parker and JR won by 6 and JC won by 2. The margin is small but you only have to win by 1.

VJospeh is a bonus point wrestler. VJ bonused every opponent he wrestled this past season during his redshirt season. If Bo remains at 165#, Bo wins.

If BJordan and MyMar end up going up a weight class, BJordan vs BNickal will be a fun match to watch.

PSU 197# didn't have a redshirt compete at weight this year so no data to compare him against KMoore.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next