Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: What is the best strategy when wrestling Megaludis?
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Nathan Tomasello has a tough match coming up this Friday against Nico Megaludis. Like many of you, I have watched Megaludis wrestle a number of times. I think he is a very "sticky" wrestler with the ability to do a deep split when someone has one of his legs and then he has a strong grip which prevents his opponent from working up the leg to the torso. Often this ends in a stalemate.

When he is on top his first move after the whistle is always to grab an ankle with one arm and get a deep waist with the other arm, then pick up and drive forward, often to the edge of the mat where the opponent has no maneuvering room to obtain an escape.

What should Nathan do to overcome Nico's standard techniques?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

One high crotch changes everything. Nate finishes easily and it forces Nico to shoot. If Nico has to open up, Nate spins and scores. Nate's D is highly underrated. That said--Cael does a very good job preparing his wrestlers. Nate needs a good plan for getting to his High C.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Win

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Quote from tony jameson's post:

"Win"

True!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Fast finishes on that high crotch...Which Tomasello does very well.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Nate is the defending national champ and currently ranked #1 so Megaludis better have a plan for how to score on Nate.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

If Nate is on his A game, he wins.

He will have a quick and clean finish.

He should get hand control off bottom.

Bottom position probably concerns me a little more as it is a dual. Mega may very well try to win a 1-0 or 2-0 match. Seeding is huge for Big Ten, so you can bet he is going to be completely tactical.

Looking back, Logan was not on his A game and lost to a motivated Retherford.

Has the makings of a super intense bout. Lucky us.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Just do what he does.

#JuggerNate

#ServantLeader

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"If Nate is on his A game, he wins.

He will have a quick and clean finish.

He should get hand control off bottom.

Bottom position probably concerns me a little more as it is a dual. Mega may very well try to win a 1-0 or 2-0 match. Seeding is huge for Big Ten, so you can bet he is going to be completely tactical.

Looking back, Logan was not on his A game and lost to a motivated Retherford.

Has the makings of a super intense bout. Lucky us."

Wouldn't it be fantastic if tOSU was the first to have TWO (2) 4xers...

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

Megaludis has always been one of my least favorite guys to watch. His style is frantic, with a lot of (seemingly) unnecessary motion... just watching the dude wrestle makes me tired. One thing is for sure though, Tomasello isn't going to "break" Megaludis with his pace. These guys both have 30 minute gas tanks.

Outside of the obvious things that pretty much any coach will say like "get to his offense," "make quick, crisp finishes," or "wrestle YOUR match," which should all go without saying for guys of this caliber, I'll take a shot at a few things as far as game plan. Mostly because I'm bored at work.

In neutral, Megaludis usually likes to work from a basic collar tie (right hand) and elbow control (left hand) set up. From there, he basically just repeatedly drags guys down to the mat, sometimes transitioning into a sort of low snatch single attempt. I'm not sure how much he actually expects to score from this position but it must be incredibly annoying for the guys he's wrestling.

The good news is that position should play into Tomasello's strengths. Nate's left handed high crotch might be the best in the country, and I think will give him his best chance to score from their feet. If all goes to plan, Nico comes out early in the first, grabs the collar tie, Nate posts the elbow and hits the high c.

To my knowledge Megaludis has only been taken down one time this year (against Cruz in the Scuffle semis) but it should have been waved off, so I don't really count it. I think Nate takes him down in the first, with a chance for another TD or 2 later in the match if Nico has to attack.

I'm out of procrastination time, but two things Tomasello shouldn't do:

1) Get into low single situations; see Nico's splits to defensive TD in the Scuffle finals (around 1:45):

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/891385-125-finals-nico-megaludis-penn-state-vs-eddie-klimara-oklahoma-state

2) Let Nico dig a single leg out of a failed go-behind situation. Megaludis has a sick ability to finish in that position, even if he's completely flattened out. Reminiscent Freshman/Sophomore Hunter Stieber.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 2, 2016

The one thing I worry about is Nate has been taken down early in a few of his matches by inferior opponents. He always comes back on these guys, but I don't want to chance it with Nico.

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Megaludis has always been one of my least favorite guys to watch. His style is frantic, with a lot of (seemingly) unnecessary motion... just watching the dude wrestle makes me tired. One thing is for sure though, Tomasello isn't going to "break" Megaludis with his pace. These guys both have 30 minute gas tanks.

Outside of the obvious things that pretty much any coach will say like "get to his offense," "make quick, crisp finishes," or "wrestle YOUR match," which should all go without saying for guys of this caliber, I'll take a shot at a few things as far as game plan. Mostly because I'm bored at work.

In neutral, Megaludis usually likes to work from a basic collar tie (right hand) and elbow control (left hand) set up. From there, he basically just repeatedly drags guys down to the mat, sometimes transitioning into a sort of low snatch single attempt. I'm not sure how much he actually expects to score from this position but it must be incredibly annoying for the guys he's wrestling.

The good news is that position should play into Tomasello's strengths. Nate's left handed high crotch might be the best in the country, and I think will give him his best chance to score from their feet. If all goes to plan, Nico comes out early in the first, grabs the collar tie, Nate posts the elbow and hits the high c.

To my knowledge Megaludis has only been taken down one time this year (against Cruz in the Scuffle semis) but it should have been waved off, so I don't really count it. I think Nate takes him down in the first, with a chance for another TD or 2 later in the match if Nico has to attack.

I'm out of procrastination time, but two things Tomasello shouldn't do:

1) Get into low single situations; see Nico's splits to defensive TD in the Scuffle finals (around 1:45):

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/891385-125-finals-nico-megaludis-penn-state-vs-eddie-klimara-oklahoma-state

2) Let Nico dig a single leg out of a failed go-behind situation. Megaludis has a sick ability to finish in that position, even if he's completely flattened out. Reminiscent Freshman/Sophomore Hunter Stieber."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4NN4stwg8

David Rourke added to this discussion on February 3, 2016

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"The one thing I worry about is Nate has been taken down early in a few of his matches by inferior opponents. He always comes back on these guys, but I don't want to chance it with Nico."

I agree. Nate is always pressing forward taking ground, but on a guy like Nico, who wrestles very low, Nate's style makes him vulnerable for Nico's low attacks. I know Delgado and Moisey wrestle that low style, and Nate beat both of them, but Delgado wasn't the Delgado from previous years and Moisey isn't on the same level as these others guys.

► Add to the Discussion