Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: National Title Run
Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

So, Ohio State pulled Martin and Snyder out of redshirt to make a run at another title. Everyone was excited when they did it, thinking with those two, and a healthy Hunter, that it could happen, and it still could.

If Nato wins it, Snyder is a top 3 guy (still worried about the size difference with Gwiz and Coon), BoJo is a top 3 guy (hopefully), Micah can place top 4, and Martin looks to definitely be a guy who can be on the podium. If they sneak in an AA or two from JDJ, Courts, Ryan, a rejuvenated Hunter, they are looking at anywhere from 5-7 All Americans. That would be unreal!

But...would that be enough? Penn State looks to have FOUR national title contenders on their squad with another 3-4 All Americans!

So the question is, was pulling the redshirts a mistake? I personally didn't think it was a great idea when they announced. But messing with the Olympic plans of Snyder and possibly wasting a good year of open competition and training for Martin could have been a real bad call!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

I'm not knowledgeable enough using nearly every metric to ascertain if this was wise or not, so my opinion is disjointed and lacks heft...but I'm open to having my perspective broadened.

I think Bo would do better and feel better at 174 lbs. (He didn't look dominant against PSU and I'm thinking Hank's original call on Bo's weight class is starting to look more and more accurate). I so admire KS's moxie and would be ecstatic if he won, but my "street sense" has an gnawing uneasiness. I'm pumped in anticipation of MyMar's potential; he showed tremendous effort and poise against Nickel.

I love the storytelling ripples of life and believe that the Buckeyes can win provided faltering becomes a central theme on the part of their competitors (which is nothing profound or novel), in tandem with outstanding performances by all the guys who can win not just the ones they should, but the ones they can.

Kyle Klotz added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

I am a very big fan of Tom Ryan. I think people really forget where we were before he arrived. I remember last year people were calling for his head after Lehigh loss, yet tOSU won the title. I believed tOSU has over achieved every year at nationals since his arrival, and until that trend stops, I will try not to question his decisions.

On a positive note, this team can still win a title. At this point they are definitely an underdog, but who doesn't love an underdog story. As we know the NCAA tournament is top heavy, and we have 5 wrestlers that would not be a shock if they make finals. (Tomasello, Micah, Bo, Myles, Snyder) I am not trying to say we are a favorite, but anything can happen in March! Go Bucks!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

I'm not ready to hand PSU the NCAA title just yet. We can get a lot of help from other teams (as usually happens). Sorenson could beat Retherford, Cox could beat McIntosh, Jackson could beat Nickal again, Imar or JoJo Smith could beat Nolf, who knows what could happen?? Ya got to get a little help from your "friends" once and awhile... If you wrestle tough, and a few matches fall your way, the possibility is still there.

John DiJulius added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I'm not ready to hand PSU the NCAA title just yet. We can get a lot of help from other teams (as usually happens). Sorenson could beat Retherford, Cox could beat McIntosh, Jackson could beat Nickal again, Imar or JoJo Smith could beat Nolf, who knows what could happen?? Ya got to get a little help from your "friends" once and awhile... If you wrestle tough, and a few matches fall your way, the possibility is still there."

Duals & tournaments are so different. We have never been a great duals team. We need to get everyone healthy for B1G's. Get good seeds for NCAA's. We have a good shot of having 3 finalists. Need at least 3 more to AA. Anything can happen. We have proven that. Tom Ryan teams have always over performed at the NCAA's.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I'm not knowledgeable enough using nearly every metric to ascertain if this was wise or not, so my opinion is disjointed and lacks heft...but I'm open to having my perspective broadened.

I think Bo would do better and feel better at 174 lbs. (He didn't look dominant against PSU and I'm thinking Hank's original call on Bo's weight class is starting to look more and more accurate). I so admire KS's moxie and would be ecstatic if he won, but my "street sense" has an gnawing uneasiness. I'm pumped in anticipation of MyMar's potential; he showed tremendous effort and poise against Nickel.

I love the storytelling ripples of life and believe that the Buckeyes can win provided faltering becomes a central theme on the part of their competitors (which is nothing profound or novel), in tandem with outstanding performances by all the guys who can win not just the ones they should, but the ones they can."

Last week Bo beats the #7 kid in the country 13-0 and yeah he didn't dominate yesterday but who cares he is winning. He is fine

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

I think PSU has one sure-fire national champion if he stays healthy Zain. I think Nolf and Nickel can win championships but it will be a tall order. Can Nolf beat Ian miller and IMar in one weekend? I don't know. NATO was able to beat top tier opponents as a redshirt freshman at NCAA'S last year but its no guarantee for Nolf. I think Miller matches up well against him and can beat him with his experience. I also believe IMar beats him 9/10 times. Similarly to when Zain beat Logan a few years ago a lot of variables went in Nolf favor. I think Nickel has the smallest margin of being the champ this year out of PSU number one ranks. I can see his style costing him because the big move isn't always there. Someone will slow down the pace, hold great position, and make it a one takedown match. I simply like Cox over McIntosh. I think Zain and McIntosh are their finalist. I think Nolf, Nico take third, Conway and Nickel gets fifth. I project 6 AA for PSU with one champion.

OSU currently have three wrestlers who have finalist potential NATO, BOJO, and KS. I think we have no sure-fire national champions, however I think all three make the finals. I think out of our next tier Micah, Myles , and JDJ have the best chance of achieve AA status. Micah is wrestling great but I have a uneasy feeling about him winning one point bouts. Myles has to close the gap on his learning curve very quickly. Can he do it? I don't know. It would be great for JDJ to cap off his career with a AA finish. He has checked off ever other goal. I think two of these three have to place top five to have a chance. I think KC, MM,and HS can't be expected to score much points for the team in their current condition. Although things can change. As of right know I think we finish top five with room to grow.

Last edited by Chris Thomas on February 6, 2016; edited 2 times in total

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"I'm not knowledgeable enough using nearly every metric to ascertain if this was wise or not, so my opinion is disjointed and lacks heft...but I'm open to having my perspective broadened.

I love the storytelling ripples of life and believe that the Buckeyes can win provided faltering becomes a central theme on the part of their competitors (which is nothing profound or novel), in tandem with outstanding performances by all the guys who can win not just the ones they should, but the ones they can."

Last week Bo beats the #7 kid in the country 13-0 and yeah he didn't dominate yesterday but who cares he is winning. He is fine"

Totally agree with you! The kid he beat yesterday was a few seconds from beating I. Jordan a few weeks ago. Bo isn't having weight issues he is facing opponents who are utilizing the scouting report on him. He still has 10/13 matches where he has gained bonus points. Dominance just not as many pins.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Luke: Where were you when I was getting slashed and burned?

Seriously--Tom Ryan made his moves and they're a much better team as a result. Were these smart moves long term? Remains to be seen.

Big key will be how Myles Martin performs at BT's and NCAA's. He came within a couple misplaced back points (ref missed the fact he had 4...not 2) of possibly beating #1 last night but there are some times his lack of experience shows. If he places this year--and Bo is once again top 3--I feel it will have paid off.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Luke: Where were you when I was getting slashed and burned?

Seriously--Tom Ryan made his moves and they're a much better team as a result. Were these smart moves long term? Remains to be seen.

Big key will be how Myles Martin performs at BT's and NCAA's. He came within a couple misplaced back points (ref missed the fact he had 4...not 2) of possibly beating #1 last night but there are some times his lack of experience shows. If he places this year--and Bo is once again top 3--I feel it will have paid off."

Hank, I said the same thing the longest two count ever! Also, the refs abruptly stop JDJ from receiving more back points on the edge of the match that cost him the match.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

^^^ Chris: I don't know the rule. I thought it was a poor stall call, because IMO JDJ was working to improve his position, and toward exposing his opponent's back. But not at all clear to me that he would in fact have gotten back points. Regardless, it was clearly a buzzkill. And then it REALLY hurt him when he gave up the takedown with seconds to go in the first. IMO, that changed the whole dynamic of the match.

Last edited by Casey Talbott on February 6, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

And was it Nate's match where his opponent clearly jumped prior to whistle? Or was it Micah's?

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Hank: I think that was Micah's, announcers commented right away.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"And was it Nate's match where his opponent clearly jumped prior to whistle? Or was it Micah's?"

It was Micah he didn't have his hand on elbow and ref blew whistle

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on February 6, 2016

My biggest question about Bo and Micah is why don't they have a standup? Both just look really uncomfortable on the bottom. I don't know why they even choose down. They should choose neutral every time and get it done on their feet.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next