Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio wrestling podcast
John Ice added to this discussion on February 10, 2016

Just throwing this out there because I'm not sure if there is one somewhere but Niemann got me hooked on them.
If there was a podcast on Ohio wrestling who would you like to host it and be guests on it. The host would have to know a great deal of history so that limits it some. M Rod knows a lot so he could be on a short list. J D Bergman is a pretty good at broadcasting, Mark Osgood is very knowledgeable.
My guest list could include Harry Houska, Mike DeAnna, Mark Zimmer, Russ Helickson, Dick Bonacci, Brian Brakeman.
So if there was a podcast who would you like to host it and would like to hear be interviewed on it?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 10, 2016

Just heard Mike DeAnna speak last week at the GCWCOA meeting.
He is terribly engaging and I think he could speak forever.
I would think he would be a great guest.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 10, 2016

John: you are too kind. Thank out for asking ME to host and be a guest on the Ohio Wrestling Podcast. Again, too kind. ;-) :-D ;-)

John Ice added to this discussion on February 10, 2016

Mark you were the obvious choice.

In the past week I have listened to Joey Davis, Joe McFarland, Alan Fried and Lee Kemp all with Ohio ties.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 10, 2016

Niemann.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Aside from Brian Brakeman, is there anyone more knowledgeable about Ohio wrestling than Josh Lowe?

Dan Strope added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

I can't imagine anybody better than Zeb Miller to host. Talented guy that calls a great match and does great interviews.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Quote from Curt Heinrichs's post:

"Aside from Brian Brakeman, is there anyone more knowledgeable about Ohio wrestling than Josh Lowe?"

No.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Let's see. You are looking for someone who has uncommon knowledge of all things wrestling in Ohio.

Must have equal parts familiarity with high school and colleges in Ohio, with a good background of Ohio history.

Must have a familiarity with many of the coaches, organizers, and wrestlers that make this state great.

Also must have a great passion for the sport of wrestling.

Sounds like a tag team of HANK KOMBLUT and BOB PRUESSE to me.

As for guests, here is a list of several potential interviewees with great diversity within the sport to start with:
1) Jeff Jordan : THE CHALLENGES OF A COACH OF A NATIONALLY RANKED HIGH SCHOOL TEAM.
2) Fred Feeney - EXPERIENCES OF A REKNOWN WRESTLING REFEREE AND ACTOR.
3) Rex Holman - THE 'MAT DR.' IS IN! - WRESTLING AND TRAINING THEORY.
4) Greg Martin and John DiJulius and Lou Demas : TALES OF THE MAT-DADS.
5) Brady Hiatt and Bruce Andrews: BUILDING SUCCESSFUL WRESTLING PROGRAMS IN SMALL TOWN OHIO.
6) Logan Stieber: WHERE DO YOU GO FROM HERE - WHAT IS YOUR PLAN WORKING TOWARDS THE 2020 OLYMPICS?
7) Dustin Kilgore and Sponseller: WHEY ARE THEY NOW?
8) Gene Smith: BUILDING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONS WRESTLING TEAM! - AN ATHLETIC DIRECTOR's PERSPECTIVE.
9) Coaches Andrassy and Greenlee: RECRUITING STRATEGIES FOR MAC SCHOOLS.
10) Tervel Dlagnev: THE CAREER OF A MULTI-TIME NATIONAL FREESTYLE WRESTLER AND INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCES.
11) Jim Jordan: THE CHARACTER BUILT FROM WRESTLING THAT TRANSLATES TO OTHER COURSES AND DESTINATIONS IN LIFE.
12) Josh Lowe: OHIO'S HIGH SCHOOL TALENT LEVEL ON A NATIONAL BASIS.
13) Bob Pruesse: IRONMAN PREVIEW.
14) Lou D.: A PERSPECTIVE ON ORTC.
15) Tom Ryan: BUILDING A CHAMPIONSHIP - THE TOUGH DECISIONS.
16) Features on Cleveland State Program and Notre Dame College.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

For overall knowledge, going back in history, College & High School its no doubt Dan FICKEL of WRUSA mag, a Strongsville native... no one else close.

He has done hs rankings since mid 90s, college ALL divisions incl JC for maybe 35 years. Every college coach in America, div 1, 2, 3, JC knows Fickel well. No one else can say that.

his knowledge of college at ALL LEVELS & going back in history sets Dan apart from Brakeman, Lowe- Boro who does great job on yappi with HS stuff- or anyone else living in Ohio. (Fickel himself wrestled for Parma & Akron U)

Dan likes to stay under the radar but no doubt he is the man wiht the most knowledge overall - though many who have been named are very capable of contributing. And some would be colorful which counts too, Brakeman, Hellickson these are colorful guys and legendary names, that all counts alot. ....s/BobP

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Some great topics here that I'd love to listen /contribute to.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"
5) Brady Hiatt and Bruce Andrews: BUILDING SUCCESSFUL WRESTLING PROGRAMS IN SMALL TOWN OHIO.
"

Wrong Andrews. Perhaps Shawn Andrews

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 11, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

"
"

Wrong Andrews. Perhaps Shawn Andrews"

Sorry, Bruce.

As a Marysville resident, I am very proud of the fine job that Shawn had done in representing that fine city!

And, I know a lot off good people in Mechanicsburg that are very proud of the Wrestling team that Brady built there!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 12, 2016

"And, I know a lot off good people in Mechanicsburg that are very proud of the Wrestling team that Brady built there!"

Thanks Pat for the kind words -- but I'd be remiss to not point out that there were/are many people involved in the building of the program. Scott Wasserman, the Godfather of Mechanicsburg wrestling, really started the building of the program from the shambles it was in when he took it over in 1991. A solid foundation layer was in place in '02-03 season when I got there to work on the building you see "above the ground". Randy Hartman, Dave Reese, Tony Rozmus, and others, spent many years toiling in the work with Coach Wass and myself. I'm glad to have been a part of the building that program and feel like a proud dad watching it continue on.

For the Pod Cast -- Zeb Miller and Mark Niemann would be a great combo as hosts. Would love to see this actually happen.

► Add to the Discussion