Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Best 2016 OHSAA Tournament Matches?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 6, 2016

Thanks to a Brother Brehens's email, I was able to DVR all three divisions.

What were the best matches?

(Please add the weight/division if you would.)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2016

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Thanks to a Brother Brehens's email, I was able to DVR all three divisions.

What were the best matches?

(Please add the weight/division if you would.)"

106 Div I was a super match, Andonian of st Eds vs Tagg of Brecksville, both threw everything incl the kitchen sink at each other before a big-move pin ended it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 6, 2016

D-III 138: big moves early; mounted comeback. Great match!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 6, 2016

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

I'm partial to D3 160 -- just to see pure dominance. Romero beat him 26-11 in our Regional Semi Duals scoring 13 takedowns.

Guys on West Jeff's team say that WJ kid says, the only reason KR kept letting me go is because I'm better on the mat than he is.

So in finals, no given escapes. Quick TD in 1st period then turn after turn occurs. WJ picks top in second period and KR scores an escape in TWO seconds. Another TD and more turn lead to tech in 2nd period.

Point made.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I'm partial to D3 160 -- just to see pure dominance. Romero beat him 26-11 in our Regional Semi Duals scoring 13 takedowns.

Guys on West Jeff's team say that WJ kid says, the only reason KR kept letting me go is because I'm better on the mat than he is.

So in finals, no given escapes. Quick TD in 1st period then turn after turn occurs. WJ picks top in second period and KR scores an escape in TWO seconds. Another TD and more turn lead to tech in 2nd period.

Point made."

pure dominance not so much fun for me as fan-- i would prefer to see Romero wrestle Marinelli, when best meet best, we see truth. If u were there who who will ever forget Dustin Schlater vs Brent Metcalf at the MIT? or David Taylor move up to meet Collin Palmer in their dual? or Myles Martin vs Zahid Valencia & Logan Stieber vs David Taylor at Ironman?

"I'm partial to D3 160 -- just to see pure dominance. Romero beat him 26-11 in our Regional Semi Duals scoring 13 takedowns.

Point made."

pure dominance not so much fun for me as fan-- i would prefer to see Romero wrestle Marinelli, when best meet best, we see truth. If u were there who who will ever forget Dustin Schlater vs Brent Metcalf at the MIT? or David Taylor move up to meet Collin Palmer in their dual? or Myles Martin vs Zahid Valencia & Logan Stieber vs David Taylor at Ironman?

system wont delete xtra copy of post, heads up DanC, HankK, system got some glitches lately

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"pure dominance not so much fun for me as fan-- i would prefer to see Romero wrestle Marinelli, when best meet best, we see truth."

If he wasn't so dang good at football we would have seen it this year at Ironman.

They did have a common opponent in Jesse Beverly. Marinelli beat him 8-4 in Ironman Semi's. Romero beat Beverly 5-2 in Brecksville finals (after beating Hiles in semis while Beverly beat K.Lawson in other semis). @cruiser96 periscoped Romero vs Beverly for me so I could watch live from Missouri -- and it was greatly appreciated. He can give his input on that match if he so desires.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

Don't remember it.

That's not entirely true, but it fairly accurate.

ps: in Iowa City now. Oh, dear goodness!!!!!!!

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

"

Point made."

pure dominance not so much fun for me as fan-- i would prefer to see Romero wrestle Marinelli, when best meet best, we see truth. If u were there who who will ever forget Dustin Schlater vs Brent Metcalf at the MIT? or David Taylor move up to meet Collin Palmer in their dual? or Myles Martin vs Zahid Valencia & Logan Stieber vs David Taylor at Ironman?"

I saw all of those matches live....we have been truly blessed in Ohio when it comes to big time HS matches.

Jamie, here's one a bit obscure but was a classic. Joe Pflug vs C.P. Schlatter, at Mayfield Super 8 i think it was, about a dozen or more years ago. C.P. was a HS legend then and Joe Pflug was one of the very best ever of his era but w/o the national acclaim. I recall 7-6 C.P. -but Pflug had him on the ropes with his pure speed.

Tommy Ellis added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

Not a state tournament match nut for me the best match ever was Rob Johnson beating Jim Jordan both undefeated and what a match...

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

"Jamie, here's one a bit obscure but was a classic. Joe Pflug vs C.P. Schlatter, at Mayfield Super 8 i think it was, about a dozen or more years ago. C.P. was a HS legend then and Joe Pflug was one of the very best ever of his era but w/o the national acclaim. I recall 7-6 C.P. -but Pflug had him on the ropes with his pure speed."

Guy Trinetti had that match and he has some great stories about it.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 8, 2016

I haven't watched any high school wrestling for several years, so am unfamiliar with most key players.

I was impressed with Baughman-120 lbs. match.

Marinelli wrestles like he's in a street brawl.

► Add to the Discussion