Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Tony Ramos Slams Iowa and Tom Brands
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEtcIhmjTWY&nohtml5=False

Here's video of the Ramos vs. Garrett match. Watch starting at 6:41 -- in Ramos' corner, you can see Tom Brands going nuts when Ramos gets the gift point -- which was a totally abysmal, to be kind, call. Others ran FAR FAR worse and never a point given. They also blew that call because all three judges needed to agree with the call and they didn't.

Then you see Ramos' idiotic broke him signal directed straight to Cornell's coaches. Classless. Thankful he's not our Olympic rep.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

I was curious earlier in the trials why Ramos was so concerned with who people were picking to win that weight class. No other competitor even gave it any attention. It simply drove Tony nuts that people were picking someone other than him to win. That was curious to me and now we seem to see why. (all this was mentioned by someone in an earlier post).
My question still remains...what did Tony want to happen to Dennis? Was he not going to be happy unless the Brands shunned Dennis? He had Terry in his corner. It was Terry who was with him during his 1st 2 World Team trials wins. Tom was the guy in his corner in college. It was Terry who took over after college.
Iowa is not the only place to have this dynamic. Ohio RTC has 2 top tier wrestlers at 97kg, NLWC has 2 at 84kg (Taylor and Ruth), and I'm certain the Minnesota Storm have multiple talented guys at the same weight.
I don't have any problem w/ Tony being angry about the situation. When you put your faith in a person and they don't materialize to be the person you thought they were...or you find out you weren't as high on their priority list as they were on yours, it hurts. My issue w/ Tony in this situation is HOW dealt with the situation. He used a press conference to talk to Tom. That is childish no matter how you slice it. He was trying to torch the very program that built him into the athlete he is today. If he had a gripe w/ how Tom and Terry were handling the situation w/ him and DD then he owed it to the Brands brothers (and to the entire Hawkeye program that put up with his antics for years) to address those issues privately and then part ways quietly if that's what was decided was in the best interest of both parties. Be angry, throw a fit, verbally assault Tom...but do it behind the closed doors of the Dan Gable wrestling complex and not in some press conference. I hate it when pro athletes do that to their coaches instead of addressing the issue w/ their coach and I hate it now with TR doing it to Tom Brands.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 12, 2016

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hlas-tony-ramos-follows-trials-loss-with-verbal-missteps-20160411

The author of the article has it right, but should have added this line as well.

Tony, "the right thing to do" would be to talk to Tom in person BEFORE making any public statements.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 13, 2016

So, for some reason I keep coming back to this in my head. Full disclosure: I was an Iowa fan in HS and even college...Gable is such a legend and they had so many great teams. I've transitioned in the last two decades as a Columbusite to full on Buckeye. That said, I've still got a little, hidden part that likes the "Iowa way".

But what is that "way"? Oftentimes, it is acting like a d ick on the mat, pushing and brawling in that grey area of rules. Less appealing when viewed as a reasonable adult.

With that set-up, think about this: on a team that is chock-full of said aggressive d ickheads, from current athletes to some staff and many of the post grads...as it is emerging that a LARGE PORTION of these people don't approve of Ramos' methods (including Gable and Metcalf), then Ramos must be an absolute gigantic pain in the arse.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 16, 2016

Tom Rowlands and Ben Askren offer a great recap of the Olympic Trials and Ramos in their podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/t-row-funky-show

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 28, 2016

Ramos is heading to UNC to help out and I read Kenny Monday is going there as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 28, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Ramos is heading to UNC to help out and I read Kenny Monday is going there as well."

ACC rapidly becoming the conference to rival the Big Ten.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 28, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Ramos is heading to UNC to help out and I read Kenny Monday is going there as well."

There was some "love" between Ramos and Scott after their match.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3