Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee to Iowa
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 25, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"One potential issue for the Bucks will be whether Nate goes 125 or 133. I think he's outstanding at either weight but the lineup will likely be weaker if he moves up."

perhaps true but maybe not weaker if JRod makes 125-

the big issue will be if Bo chooses to stay at 165, then either 174 or 184 becomes a problem.

so things have to break right for buckeyes, if they do next season could be their best team ever.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 25, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"One potential issue for the Bucks will be whether Nate goes 125 or 133. I think he's outstanding at either weight but the lineup will likely be weaker if he moves up."

perhaps true but maybe not weaker if JRod makes 125-

the big issue will be if Bo chooses to stay at 165, then either 174 or 184 becomes a problem.

so things have to break right for buckeyes, if they do next season could be their best team ever."

Do you foresee Bo choosing to stay at 165? I really can't because it helps neither him nor the team with him being at 165. Bo at 174 is a winner all around.

Nate staying at 125 seems possible. And the outcome of that choice seems to have larger ramifications for the team for the next 2 years+. Bottom line, the Bucks are in high demand for a 125 into the future.

if JRod makes 125 i see Tomo moving up as something ohio st as a team might not suffer from.

the biggie -with no good alternative -is if Bo stays at 165, one wt either 174 or 184 will suffer. i have no idea what Bo will do but he will tell Ryan.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 25, 2016

I think NaTo can make the finals at 133# with the graduation of Garrett or Brewer.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 25, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"I think NaTo can make the finals at 133# with the graduation of Garrett or Brewer."

Clark and Zane Richards are formidable. I think Nate is terrific but a bit undersized at 133. I also think Bucks would be stronger with Nate at 125 and either J-Rod or Pletcher at 133. But this is all speculation of course.

Bo will happily go 174. I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

Pic of Bo on FB from the Wrestling Banquet. He's wearing a boot on his right foot. Must have had surgery on it. Bo took 3rd while probably competing with a broken bone in his foot.

"[Bo will happily go 174. I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise. "

why? well i think the reason i'm not certain is he hasnt told Ryan that yet, but i don't doubt its true.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 25, 2016

And by all accounts, Nato has weight lifted himself out of 125 more than anything. If that's the case, I'd be hard pressed to believe he'll be undersized for 133. Short? Yes. Undersized? I'm not so sure about that. With his style of non-stop attacking I don't know that the height "disadvantage" is that much of a disadvantage. It would be nice if we could give Pletcher the year in RS to continue to develop and go with J-Rod at 125.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

Several questions:

1) Is it even Bo's decison to go 174? Personally, I believe Bo at 174 and MyMar at 184 makes the team stronger but to assume that Bo decides where he wrestles while the defending National Champion is forced to move up may be a stretch.

2) If Bo stays at 165 and MyMar at 174, who starts for us at 184?

3) If NaTo goes 133 what happens to Pletcher after his redshirt year? He sits the bench as a RS freshman?

4) If Bo stays at 165 does anyone see Isaiah White dropping to 157 and challenging Jake Ryan? If so, what are his chances at starting?

Last edited by Joe Kinzel on April 26, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

1. yes Bo will decide. Best man wins the wt.
2. i too said, if Bo stays 165 we have problem at either 174 or 184
3. yes Pletcher may sit under certain cicumstances, he knew that whne he signed.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

If Bo goes 165 and MyMar stays at 174, then Rozema could fill in at 184. He'd probably be more consistent than Courts, and, not to be mean, but he can't do worse at nationals.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

One of the things I've wondered is whether the Ohio State coaches have a meeting with the wrestlers at the end of the season where they try to build a consensus at which weights the athletes should wrestle at next season. That would allow the wrestlers a number of months to either trim down or bulk up so that they come into the start of the season pretty close to their target weight.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 26, 2016

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"One of the things I've wondered is whether the Ohio State coaches have a meeting with the wrestlers at the end of the season where they try to build a consensus at which weights the athletes should wrestle at next season. That would allow the wrestlers a number of months to either trim down or bulk up so that they come into the start of the season pretty close to their target weight."

Yes, of course, there's a plan in place and it's discussed with the team as well as key individual members. The issue is what happens when it becomes clear that the offseason plan isn't working properly. That's what happened last season. Coach Ryan reacted by making adjustment but had to hurt some feelings to do it.

This year's offseason would seem to be more straightforward with only Nate's final weight class up in the air. Also a bit hard to say who will go 165 so I'd imagine the Bucks will take an "all hands on deck" approach to the weight class with frosh and vets competing for the spot.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3