Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 2016-17
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on April 29, 2016

I'd like to hear your predictions as to next year's line up and how many AA's you think the team could reasonably finish with.

125- NaTo
133- J. Rod/ Pletcher
141- K. Hayes
149- Micah Jordan
157- Jake Ryan
165- Isaiah White
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Kollin Moore
285- Kyle Snyder

AA's = 6 maybe 7

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2016

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"I'd like to hear your predictions as to next year's line up and how many AA's you think the team could reasonably finish with.

125- NaTo
133- J. Rod/ Pletcher
141- K. Hayes
149- Micah Jordan
157- Jake Ryan
165- Isaiah White
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Kollin Moore
285- Kyle Snyder

AA's = 6 maybe 7"

That's a terrific lineup but it will depend on Nate making it back down for another season plus Isaiah White being able to compete effectively as a true frosh.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 30, 2016

My one hope is that if NaTo wants to go 133 he can. He has been a warrior for two years and 4-5 months of pulling weight is not fun.

He will be top 4 at 33 as well as 25. It's not a huge leap, and there is recent precedence that illustrates the move up isn't that difficult. Give me comfortable NaTo any day of the week.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 1, 2016

Wait until next year!

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 1, 2016

I'm not nearly as willing as some to bump Nate to 133. For what reason? He's won 45 of his last 46 matches at 125 with his only loss coming on a coin-flip to Gilman. And let's face it, Gilman has Nate's number.

On a team with two NCAA champions and a two-time third place finisher, Nate was named the MVP. The guy had a special season.

Also, Nate vacating 125 would turn the weight into a black hole for OSU, which should be pulling out all stops to win the NCAA title. Jose Rodriguez, the top candidate to replace Nate at 125, is not ready to step in and score points at nationals. At this point, I'd be surprised to see him qualify. He has a ways to go.

If the cut is severe and unhealthy, then Nate should move to 133. But that's the only reason.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

"I'd like to hear your predictions as to next year's line up and how many AA's you think the team could reasonably finish with.

125- NaTo
133- J. Rod/ Pletcher
141- K. Hayes
149- Micah Jordan
157- Jake Ryan
165- Isaiah White
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Kollin Moore
285- Kyle Snyder

AA's = 6 maybe 7"

I like this lineup but I think Pletcher is the guy, if the wrestle off is for 133. Even still, tons of question marks linger. Could Mongoose Mic and Jake flip flop weights? Or could Jake and White fip flop weights? Do Pletcher and White start as true frosh? Nate at 125 or 133? If Snyder brings home Olympic Gold does he return? Does Tav return, even if his starts are limited with Snyder being in the lineup? I can think of 5 or 6 different lineup scenarios that could play out. Although I think the one you've got is the one we'd most like to see as fans.

The closest thing we have to sure fire AA's are the ones that return, Nate (1st/3rd), Bo (3rd/3rd), MyMar (1st), and Snyder (2nd/1st). An argument could be made for every other weight but there's tons of work and adjustments to be made to get them there. It's a big country!

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

If they want to redshirt White then I think Cody Burcher has to be in the discussion. He and Jake were both listed at 157 to start the season last year. Could either go 165?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

Jordan moving to 149 is a lock...and he'll be a strong All American contender. Normal progress from one year to the next and the experience he got last year, combined with who he is and where comes from, put him as someone Buckeye fans are not exagerating when they have AA expectations. I personally think he's a mid-level All American in 2017...and there's no one he can't beat, short of Rutherford.

If Tomesello moves to 133 I think he's right there with the best in the weight. I've never understood the hype around moving up weights. If he's moving up because he can't pull the weight anymore, then he's a legit 133-pounder, not a blown up 125. If that's the case, (and that's the only senario I can see him moving up), then it's about wrestling and not size...and clearly Tomesello can wrestle. He reminds me of Chad Mendes (the guy Jaggers beat for his first title). Mendes was short and stocky and made the jump from 125 all the way to 141. He did so with great success, and I don't think he was the wrestler Tomesello is. Will he win it at 133? I don't know, but he's not going to be a different wrestler or have significantly different results. I agree the tOSU is a better team with him at 125, but sometimes it's not about the team (I know I'm alone in this one).

Ryan had a great freshman season. I'm kind of shocked that people are so hard on him. The idea that he won't progress because he's already been in the room a while doesn't hold water with me. I think he ends up a 2X AA by the time it's all said and done. Not too shabby. He'll have a career similar to Mark Marenelli, better than legends like Collin Palmer or Keaton Anderson or contemporaries like Demas or Nemec. Nothing about his freshman season should show Ohio State fans anything but promise.

I think Bo Jordan wins 174 and Martin is top four at 184. Snyder dominates when he wrestles and Tavenello is the kind of depth and back up you want to spot start.

The obvious holes are 125/133 (the weight Tomesello doesn't go) and 197. I don't view 141 and 165 as holes. Hayes has shown he can compete and White is a super recruit on paper. Again, I don't know that they AA (through Hayes in particular looks the part), but they will win matches, contribute and qualify for Nationals.

This is a very good team.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

125- NaTo
133- J. Rod/ Pletcher
141- K. Hayes
149- Micah Jordan
157- Jake Ryan
165- Isaiah White
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- Kollin Moore
285- Kyle Snyder

AA's = 6 maybe 7"

I like this lineup but I think Pletcher is the guy, if the wrestle off is for 133. Even still, tons of question marks linger. Could Mongoose Mic and Jake flip flop weights? Or could Jake and White fip flop weights? Do Pletcher and White start as true frosh? Nate at 125 or 133? If Snyder brings home Olympic Gold does he return? Does Tav return, even if his starts are limited with Snyder being in the lineup? I can think of 5 or 6 different lineup scenarios that could play out. Although I think the one you've got is the one we'd most like to see as fans.

The closest thing we have to sure fire AA's are the ones that return, Nate (1st/3rd), Bo (3rd/3rd), MyMar (1st), and Snyder (2nd/1st). An argument could be made for every other weight but there's tons of work and adjustments to be made to get them there. It's a big country!"

I agree that NaTo at 125 makes the team stronger. As far as do Pletcher and White start as true Frosh, one would assume that Coach Ryan is going to go all-in in an attempt to win a NC. If Pletcher and White are the two best at their respective weights then I think you have to start them.

I have no personal knowledge of Snyder's intentions but I believe he will be back at OSU regardless of how he does at the Olympics. If he were a few years removed from graduating college I'd say he may be ready to move on from the sport but he is so young. Snyder can become a multiple Gold medal winner for USA. Again, I have no inside information but he strikes me as a young man who is very hungry and not even close to ready to call it a career.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

IMO, it's not that Ryan has to improve by leaps and bounds, he is a pretty good wrestler now and needs to improve slightly in a few areas. When he went toe to toe with JoJo Smith, that showed me how far he has come in the last few years.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 2, 2016

Agree with Drew Taylor--the lineup is better (esp. for duals) with Nate at 125. I don't think Gilman "has his number" as Nate would have beaten him if the match had gone two more seconds. Nate got caught in OT trying to pass by the leg--which he had done successfully earlier in the match. Nate can beat Gilman although the reverse is true as well.

Let's hope all works out well with Isaiah White. There seems to be a lot riding on this young man who was really the Bucks Plan C at this weight. (Marinelli and Hall)
He's talented but there are reasons why the Bucks got him late in the game. Academic concerns remain until he's on campus and showing he can handle both school and sport. I am rooting for him of course.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on May 6, 2016

Just having hypothetical internet chat room fun, but what if Snyder could move to 197? Which scenario would make the team stronger, Kollin Moore at 197 and Kyle at 285 or Tavenello at 285 and Kyle at 197?
I would LOVE to see Kyle and JDen wrestle next year. I realize that they're moving in opposite directions weight wise, but 197-205ish is probably their catch weight.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 6, 2016

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Just having hypothetical internet chat room fun, but what if Snyder could move to 197? Which scenario would make the team stronger, Kollin Moore at 197 and Kyle at 285 or Tavenello at 285 and Kyle at 197?
I would LOVE to see Kyle and JDen wrestle next year. I realize that they're moving in opposite directions weight wise, but 197-205ish is probably their catch weight."

While I think Snyder could make 197 I think he stays at 285 so as to better compete in international competition.

While I have always liked Tav, I am very excited about seeing Kollin Moore take to the mat. I would be willing to bet that Moore has far more success during his career than Tav has had. I think this kid is flying well below everyone's radar but will surprise the nation soon.

By the way, I saw on Snyder's Twitter where he thanked both Moore and Tav for coming in and helping him prepare for the Olympics. That says more about the person Tav is than anything he has done on the mat for the Bucks. Kudos to Nick for being a great teammate!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 6, 2016

"While I think Snyder could make 197 I think he stays at 285 so as to better compete in international competition.

While I have always liked Tav, I am very excited about seeing Kollin Moore take to the mat. I would be willing to bet that Moore has far more success during his career than Tav has had. I think this kid is flying well below everyone's radar but will surprise the nation soon.

By the way, I saw on Snyder's Twitter where he thanked both Moore and Tav for coming in and helping him prepare for the Olympics. That says more about the person Tav is than anything he has done on the mat for the Bucks. Kudos to Nick for being a great teammate!"

Agree.

It also speaks to Snyder's character that Tav WOULD come in train with him.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 10, 2016

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/41645-lineup-look-2016-ohio-state

Nice article on Flow talking about the Bucks next year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next