Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 2016-17
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 6, 2016

BUY OR SELL? (Each weight)

125- Nate wins National Title
Sell. If it was top 2, I would buy, but Gilman holds the overall advantage, and I can't take NaTo as the champ right now. Hope I'm wrong.

133- Pletcher starts and AA's
Sell. While I've been critical of JDJ over the past couple years, I can't say that a true frosh is going to come in and be better right away.

141- Ke-Shawn AA's top 7
Sell. Micah dominated Keyshawn last year and didn't AA. In the match he lost to Koldozik, he couldn't get off the bottom, same problem Micah had last year and a consistent problem with the Buckeyes over the years.

149- Mickey AA's top 5
Buy. I hope he has spent every moment since nationals practicing getting off of the bottom. I think if he is at full weight he will be better this year.

157- Ryan makes round of twelve
Sell. Limited athlete who makes his living off winning 2-1 or 3-2. That story rarely works well.

165- Whoever starts here qualifies and wins a match
Buy. Only because I'm rooting for #Mustang alum Cody Burcher.

174- BoJo wins National Title
Buy. I think Bo comes out and kicks some serious a$$ this year.

184- MyMar AA's top 4
Sell. I want to see how he handles the stronger wrestlers this year before I can buy this. He got handled a couple times last year.

197- Moore makes round of twelve
Sell. Very impressed that he made the junior national team, but he didn't beat anyone of note and only had a so-so redshirt year.

285- Snyder repeats undefeated
Buy. I think he gets bonus in over 95% of his matches as well. Coon is the only one who keeps it within 5.

Overall, I'm not as positive this early in the Bucks as I'd hoped, but I've been wrong before, and, hopefully, I'm wrong on every Sell I put in this post!

#GoBucks

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on August 8, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"BUY OR SELL? (Each weight)

125- Nate wins National Title
Sell. If it was top 2, I would buy, but Gilman holds the overall advantage, and I can't take NaTo as the champ right now. Hope I'm wrong.

133- Pletcher starts and AA's
Sell. While I've been critical of JDJ over the past couple years, I can't say that a true frosh is going to come in and be better right away.

141- Ke-Shawn AA's top 7
Sell. Micah dominated Keyshawn last year and didn't AA. In the match he lost to Koldozik, he couldn't get off the bottom, same problem Micah had last year and a consistent problem with the Buckeyes over the years.

149- Mickey AA's top 5
Buy. I hope he has spent every moment since nationals practicing getting off of the bottom. I think if he is at full weight he will be better this year.

157- Ryan makes round of twelve
Sell. Limited athlete who makes his living off winning 2-1 or 3-2. That story rarely works well.

165- Whoever starts here qualifies and wins a match
Buy. Only because I'm rooting for #Mustang alum Cody Burcher.

174- BoJo wins National Title
Buy. I think Bo comes out and kicks some serious a$$ this year.

184- MyMar AA's top 4
Sell. I want to see how he handles the stronger wrestlers this year before I can buy this. He got handled a couple times last year.

197- Moore makes round of twelve
Sell. Very impressed that he made the junior national team, but he didn't beat anyone of note and only had a so-so redshirt year.

285- Snyder repeats undefeated
Buy. I think he gets bonus in over 95% of his matches as well. Coon is the only one who keeps it within 5.

Overall, I'm not as positive this early in the Bucks as I'd hoped, but I've been wrong before, and, hopefully, I'm wrong on every Sell I put in this post!

#GoBucks"

I always respect your opinions Jason!

My optimistic Buckeye soul doesn't necessarily want to agree with all of them, but I always respect them!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 8, 2016

Jason: I noticed you didn't have ten national champions. You obviously hate Ohio State. I'm not sure, as a true Buckeye fan, how to take your level of negativity. I mean - seriously - how do you sleep at night???

ps: 125: I'll buy. Was a fraction of a second from winning that match. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he can win. Certainly NOT a Dake/Taylor situation. Also, I do wonder how the weight class change will affect Micah. He seems to have a tank; a real goer.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on August 8, 2016

[quote="Mark Niemann"]Jason: I noticed you didn't have ten national champions. You obviously hate Ohio State. I'm not sure, as a true Buckeye fan, how to take your level of negativity. I mean - seriously - how do you sleep at night???

I lol'd

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 8, 2016

Thx for playing along T.J..

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 9, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Jason: I noticed you didn't have ten national champions. You obviously hate Ohio State. I'm not sure, as a true Buckeye fan, how to take your level of negativity. I mean - seriously - how do you sleep at night???"

It's rough. I mostly cry myself to sleep each night thinking about how I can never measure up to the great Mark Niemann. ;)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 9, 2016

For the record, Tomasello and Gilman are a pick-em bet...evenly matched and could go either way. Gilman should be ranked #1 due to his most recent win and slightly favored because of history, but a Tomesello win would shock me zero.

I see Martin as a clear #2 at 184...not because of moving up a weight, but because of moving into a weight where there is a dominant figure at the top in Gabe Dean. I don't think it's as much about weight class as it's about Dean's excellence. With that in mind...

"...Also, I do wonder how the weight class change will affect Micah. He seems to have a tank; a real goer."

This might merit its own topic, but I've never understood the perceived challenge and hurdle to moving up in weight. If you are a legit 149-pounder, then there should be no transition. That's your weight. It's one of the things I never understood about the praise for Dake. He deserves praise for his amazing accomplishment of four NCAA titles. The moving up in weight was a natural progression. He was never undersized for the weight class. In fact, three out of four years he was HUGE for the weight class.

Anyway, my point is if Jordan is a legit 149-pounder and has progressed in the room in the areas that cost him an AA finish last season, then he'll likely place. It's not about the "adjustment" to moving up. Am I wrong on this?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 9, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"For the record, Tomasello and Gilman are a pick-em bet...evenly matched and could go either way. Gilman should be ranked #1 due to his most recent win and slightly favored because of history, but a Tomesello win would shock me zero.

I see Martin as a clear #2 at 184...not because of moving up a weight, but because of moving into a weight where there is a dominant figure at the top in Gabe Dean. I don't think it's as much about weight class as it's about Dean's excellence. With that in mind...

"...Also, I do wonder how the weight class change will affect Micah. He seems to have a tank; a real goer."

This might merit its own topic, but I've never understood the perceived challenge and hurdle to moving up in weight. If you are a legit 149-pounder, then there should be no transition. That's your weight. It's one of the things I never understood about the praise for Dake. He deserves praise for his amazing accomplishment of four NCAA titles. The moving up in weight was a natural progression. He was never undersized for the weight class. In fact, three out of four years he was HUGE for the weight class.

Anyway, my point is if Jordan is a legit 149-pounder and has progressed in the room in the areas that cost him an AA finish last season, then he'll likely place. It's not about the "adjustment" to moving up. Am I wrong on this?"

Finally! An entire post from Michael I agree with. And there's no Buckeye Hater-ade to be seen??? I love it! Is it safe to say he's coming around? :)

Mike Stann added to this discussion on August 10, 2016

Nato is a man on a mission imo. I'm buying. He who laughs last laughs loudest, right Mark?

Pletcher is hard to call since we haven't seen him wrestle at this level before. We all know the troubles a true freshman can have at the big show so I guess I'm selling.

Ke-shawn is in the same boat. The top six is loaded (if Jack doesn't redshirt). I like Ke-shawn to AA but so many hurdles and questions. I guess I'm selling.

Michah is also a man with something to prove and I like him a lot at 149. Too bad Zain and Sorenson are here too. I like him for third so I'm buying.

157 just has too much fire power I think. I'm selling.

I really like Cody so I hope he's the guy. You do have 6 guys in the Big 10 who will be tough and that's not counting anyone from Penn St. If he can qualify I like him to win a match. I'm going to buy.

Bojo buy. buy buy.

I agree with Michael that one wrestler dominates. Even if Bo goes up I still like Myles chance. Buy

I like Moore. We'll know more after we wrestle Cleveland ST (wheeler who I really like) and Conel. I going to buy.

Kyle buy buy buy.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 10, 2016

between acts in Vegas, #bookemdano text me, good chance Isaiah White ends up at Notre Dame College.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on August 10, 2016

For good...or is a transfer in the future a possibility?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 11, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"For good...or is a transfer in the future a possibility?"

He has obvious academic issues otherwise he'd be in Columbus. Let's hope he gets those straightened out prior to any other speculation.

Recruiting is a hard biz but there's a bottom line element to it. Coach Ryan has failed to bring in a solid 125 prospect as well as a 165. When your strategy is to bring in the top guys in the country, you're sometimes left holding the bag when you miss.

Current Bucks squad has plenty of great talent but obvious holes. If Nate doesn't go 125, Bucks are really stuck.

Team has six studs--Nate, Hayes, Micah, Bo, Myles and Snyderman. Ryan and Moore should be competitive as well. Then....we'll see.

Historically speaking, this is a remarkably good squad. But if the goal is to win NCAA's during the Cael/PSU era, it takes even more talent. Or so I think. Perhaps, Moore, Ryan and Pletcher/Rodriguez will be even better than expected.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 24, 2016

Ryan Milhof from Oklahoma who took 7th last year at 125 is leaving Oklahoma and Ohio State is one of the schools he says he has talked to.

If he came would he be 133 or would he go 125 and allow Nate to move up?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on August 24, 2016

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Ryan Milhof from Oklahoma who took 7th last year at 125 is leaving Oklahoma and Ohio State is one of the schools he says he has talked to.

If he came would he be 133 or would he go 125 and allow Nate to move up?"

If this move was to happen, Millhof would be 125# which would allow Tomasello to move up to 133#. I don't see it because tOSU is all in on getting Fix.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on August 24, 2016

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"... because tOSU is all in on getting Fix."

Are you saying tOSU is FIXated on him?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next