Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Red Shirt?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 13, 2016

Nothing novel, but it seems that in the last 3 years the paradigm on the assumption of red shirting a freshman is shifting.

I think our ongoing discussion as it relates to this year's tOSU team was indicative of this.

Are guys getting so skilled at such a young age that we are in transition?

What was it like "back in the day"?

What are your thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bill Splete added to this discussion on May 13, 2016

there is no doubt that the high school athletes are physically farther ahead than we where in the early nineties, take mollica, he was physically light years ahead of all of us, but i think it would have been very hard for him to have the success he had with out redshirting, it was a standard way for us to build into the physical and mental nature of d1 wrestling. The kids today train at a different level, and have access to high level coaching at very young ages, and this benefit along with their personal dedication is what we now see. I don't like to throw around compliments that aren't earned, these kids today have earned there spot, the great ones have tremendous dedication and work ethic.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 17, 2016

Don't forget about the 8th grade redshirts that cause seniors to be a little older going into college than they might otherwise be.

It worked for Varner. Probably 100 guys for every Varner for whom it doesn't work.

But I agree with Bill: the comp and training these guys get at an earlier age have them ready far more than in the past.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 18, 2016

last year in AWN i interviewed about a dozen prominent hs coaches from different areas of the nation and asked each "How do todays good high school wrestlers compare to those of 20-30-40 years ago?"

not one coach -- not 1-- said yesteryears were superior, in fact most said todays better wrestlers are superior.

A few made the point that the very best then equaled the very best now. But consensus was todays good hs kids are better than the good kids of yesteryear because of technique, clinics, videos, camps and better coaching frankly, yes thats what some said "better coaching" today. ... their words, not mine.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 18, 2016

example from July 2014 issue, from Easton PA's renowned coach Steve Powell:

Question: Are high school wrestlers overall as good or better today than they were 20 or 30 years ago?

Steve Powell: “No doubt about it they are better than they were 20 years ago, the facilities are better. The time commitment is greater than ever, the technique available is second to none. The availability of awesome clubs/coaching/workout partners is nationwide.

The Olympic training centers at many D1 schools are phenomenal. Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Lehigh, Iowa. Media has made all kinds of things available, results, technique, lifting strategies, videos of matches. The wide open attitude has made things like the NCAA finals awesome to watch. Let it fly, wide open, I can do this attitude.”

“The Aaron Pico’s and Kyle Snyder’s have proved the fact that there are great opportunities available to those who work, those who approach the sport with a passion. Seventeen year old high school kids like Kyle Snyder aren’t supposed to go with 30 year old Russian World medal winners as Kyle has done. Then there is 16 year old Aaron Pico going with high placing All-Americans. Wow the future of wrestling is bright.”

► Add to the Discussion