Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: 2016-2017: Team Jordan
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 21, 2016

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"1. What weight does Micah go and how does he do?

2. Some have indicated IMar is going 165 lbs. Assuming Cousin Isaac is still at that weight, does he have the canny treachery to bogart IMar when it counts most?

3. Some have indicated BoJo is going 174 lbs. My sense is that he would harpoon Nickal at a threshold moment, especially if he wasn't cutting. Your thoughts?

4. Rocky to OSU?"

1. Ultimately, I think Micah has the frame to be up at 157. Everyone foresaw him as a 157 and I'd still like to see that come to fruition. Is there a possibility of him bumping to 157, Jake going to 165, and Bo to 174? I hadn't considered that idea before.

2. Yes. I think Isaac can be the IMar kryptonite. His defense and re-shots would be the arsenal for such a thing.

3. I like Bo at 174. For himself and for the team. Regardless of what he walks around at, he looked most impressive at 174 and firing on all cylinders. He just seemed so much stronger than the opposition up at 174. And yes, I think he thrashes Nickal.

4. I've heard rumor here and there that Rocky may not be quite as passionate about wrestling as his Jordan predecessors. That's the main reason I threw that out there. I don't know him personally and I don't know if there's any legitimacy to that. And even if there is, a lot can change with 2 years of HS left and a young man's mind.

General comments: Daton Fix would be a HUGE get! The Bucks have been throwing down for a solid 125 option for over a year. And if we could steal one away from John Smith, it definitely helps. Lord knows John Smith has nabbed plenty of Ohio talent over the years and it would be damn nice to return that favor and fill a serious need simultaneously.

Inside the state, I'm a big fan of both Carr and Romero. Both kids are more than just damn good wrestlers. The Carr family is as respected and reputable in the wrestling community as they come. From Joe Carr, Sr. on down, top notch people on every branch of that family tree. And Tom Ryan has made a point of focusing on great students/citizens in addition to being top wrestling talent. David Carr fits the bill across the board. And a very respectful young man as well. And Romero, by all accounts, is a dynamic young man himself. A+ student and a multi-sport athlete that excels at the highest levels. If that doesn't scream Buckeye wrestler, nothing does. My own personal interactions with both kids and those around them have been nothing but positive in every way possible. Must haves!

As an aside, I was messing with Carr this past weekend at the state FS/GR tourney. I told him if he'd be a Buckeye someday he could have head of the line for FS sign-ins. He played along with my shenanigans and he's well aware of the fact the Buckeye fans would love to see him at tOSU."

Regarding your first point, I think Jake is too small to go 165. I've heard folks say that he was better suited as a 149 this past year but went 157 because of Hunter.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 23, 2016

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"1. What weight does Micah go and how does he do?

2. Some have indicated IMar is going 165 lbs. Assuming Cousin Isaac is still at that weight, does he have the canny treachery to bogart IMar when it counts most?

3. Some have indicated BoJo is going 174 lbs. My sense is that he would harpoon Nickal at a threshold moment, especially if he wasn't cutting. Your thoughts?

4. Rocky to OSU?"

1. Ultimately, I think Micah has the frame to be up at 157. Everyone foresaw him as a 157 and I'd still like to see that come to fruition. Is there a possibility of him bumping to 157, Jake going to 165, and Bo to 174? I hadn't considered that idea before.

2. Yes. I think Isaac can be the IMar kryptonite. His defense and re-shots would be the arsenal for such a thing.

3. I like Bo at 174. For himself and for the team. Regardless of what he walks around at, he looked most impressive at 174 and firing on all cylinders. He just seemed so much stronger than the opposition up at 174. And yes, I think he thrashes Nickal.

4. I've heard rumor here and there that Rocky may not be quite as passionate about wrestling as his Jordan predecessors. That's the main reason I threw that out there. I don't know him personally and I don't know if there's any legitimacy to that. And even if there is, a lot can change with 2 years of HS left and a young man's mind.

General comments: Daton Fix would be a HUGE get! The Bucks have been throwing down for a solid 125 option for over a year. And if we could steal one away from John Smith, it definitely helps. Lord knows John Smith has nabbed plenty of Ohio talent over the years and it would be damn nice to return that favor and fill a serious need simultaneously.

Inside the state, I'm a big fan of both Carr and Romero. Both kids are more than just damn good wrestlers. The Carr family is as respected and reputable in the wrestling community as they come. From Joe Carr, Sr. on down, top notch people on every branch of that family tree. And Tom Ryan has made a point of focusing on great students/citizens in addition to being top wrestling talent. David Carr fits the bill across the board. And a very respectful young man as well. And Romero, by all accounts, is a dynamic young man himself. A+ student and a multi-sport athlete that excels at the highest levels. If that doesn't scream Buckeye wrestler, nothing does. My own personal interactions with both kids and those around them have been nothing but positive in every way possible. Must haves!

As an aside, I was messing with Carr this past weekend at the state FS/GR tourney. I told him if he'd be a Buckeye someday he could have head of the line for FS sign-ins. He played along with my shenanigans and he's well aware of the fact the Buckeye fans would love to see him at tOSU."

Regarding your first point, I think Jake is too small to go 165. I've heard folks say that he was better suited as a 149 this past year but went 157 because of Hunter."

Then how about Micah back at his more natural 157 and Jake back down at 149? Personally, I like that even better. Just feels like a more natural fit for both.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on May 24, 2016

His gas tank was suspect all year while wrestling quality opponents, if there is any kind of cut for him to get down to 149 they should keep him up at 157.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"His gas tank was suspect all year while wrestling quality opponents, if there is any kind of cut for him to get down to 149 they should keep him up at 157."

In spite of the fact he didn't AA, Micah performed like a top 5 guy for most of the season. Other than Heil--the most consistent and well rounded performer at the weight--Micah was as good as anyone else at 141. I thought his biggest problem stemmed from not being able to slow down the pace of tight bouts by riding. When you're constantly on your feet (and constantly attacking), it's tiring (see Jason Nolf against IMart). I think 149 is an ideal weight for Micah.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"His gas tank was suspect all year while wrestling quality opponents, if there is any kind of cut for him to get down to 149 they should keep him up at 157."

In spite of the fact he didn't AA, Micah performed like a top 5 guy for most of the season. Other than Heil--the most consistent and well rounded performer at the weight--Micah was as good as anyone else at 141. I thought his biggest problem stemmed from not being able to slow down the pace of tight bouts by riding. When you're constantly on your feet (and constantly attacking), it's tiring (see Jason Nolf against IMart). I think 149 is an ideal weight for Micah."

I was speaking about Ryan.

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

In spite of the fact he didn't AA, Micah performed like a top 5 guy for most of the season. Other than Heil--the most consistent and well rounded performer at the weight--Micah was as good as anyone else at 141. I thought his biggest problem stemmed from not being able to slow down the pace of tight bouts by riding. When you're constantly on your feet (and constantly attacking), it's tiring (see Jason Nolf against IMart). I think 149 is an ideal weight for Micah."

I was speaking about Ryan."

I agree that 149 is micah's weight. I know everyone is riding the Zain train but Micah will not go easy into that good night. It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

"...I know everyone is riding the Zain train but Micah will not go easy into that good night. It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom."

I'm interested to hear why you think Jordan is a bad match-up for Retherford? I think Jordan is a likely All American next season (no small feat). I think he's going to have an amazing career for the Buckeyes. I also think Retherford is eight points better than the second-best guy at 149 and 10-15 points better than the rest of the weight class.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"...I know everyone is riding the Zain train but Micah will not go easy into that good night. It will be a battle that will come down to whether or not Micah can get out from bottom."

I'm interested to hear why you think Jordan is a bad match-up for Retherford? I think Jordan is a likely All American next season (no small feat). I think he's going to have an amazing career for the Buckeyes. I also think Retherford is eight points better than the second-best guy at 149 and 10-15 points better than the rest of the weight class."

Spot on.....and I regularly drink Tosu koolaide!

I'm not trying to be a "hater"...it's just that Retherford is probably the heaviest favorite in the NCAAs next year.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

"...Retherford is probably the heaviest favorite in the NCAAs next year."

I think Kyle Snyder is the heaviest favorite; he outweighs Retherford by at least 50 pounds

"I'm not trying to be a "hater"...it's just that Retherford is probably the heaviest favorite in the NCAAs next year."

Two words, Logan Stieber. If anyone can prepare Micah for that match it is Logan. Micah has history of knocking off unbeatables such as Dean Heil, who was fresh off of beating a Mr. Aaron Pico. Zain looked tough as ever at the Olympic team trials but make no mistake, at 149 Micah will have the tank and strength to go, all day. Micah sucked way to much weight for the team last year and everyone on this site knows it. Just wait and see him at 149, for some reason, I believe.

Liam...first off, I'm not trying to start a thing...just some forum discussion in the off season.

That being said, I totally understand that you believe, but that's a fan talking. If Retherford wore the scarlet and grey you'd be talking about how he'll likely never lose another match in college. Look at how dominant he was last year.

I respect the hell out of Logan Stieber (how could I not?), but I doubt he's a better coach at this point of his career than Tom Ryan or Lou Rosselli. Jordan has a top notch staff. Sometimes the other guy is just better. Retherford is one of the premier wrestlers in college entering his junior season. Jordan is a talented up-and-comer looking to make the podium in his second year of varsity action. I don't see them as close...but I'm wrong a lot.

Bruce...I thought of Snyder when I wrote that. Obviously he's amazing and a heavy favorite. I have no doubt that he'll win another title in dominant fashion. But think about this, as great as Snyder was last year, Retherford had a better NCAA tourney, albeit against a different level of competition.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

It's easier to see Coon upsetting Snyder than anyone touching Retherford. Coon has a huge size advantage at 285. 149 offers no similar edge for any of the better competitors going up against ZR.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 25, 2016

Michael and Hank -- you missed the joke in what Bruce said.

I get it, but he's also a legit HUGE favorite and I'm really trying not to piss off Ohio State fans.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next