Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Trouble in Minnesota
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Four Gopher wrestlers under investigation for illegally selling Xanax:http://www.fox9.com/news/investigators/144566379-story. J tried to handle it in-house.

could this be the end of J-Rob

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Not good.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Not good at all. But I don't look for much to come of it because J Rob didn't break any laws and it's not a banned substance by the NCAA. But even if nothing IS done about it, it's a black eye to the program.

http://www.fox9.com/news/investigators/144566379-story

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Read a story in InterMat this morning on the investigation. Bad deal all around. It sounds like he handled the situation like a p'd off father would. Making the wrestlers write essays on how they screwed up and how they wouldn't do so in the future is great.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"Read a story in InterMat this morning on the investigation. Bad deal all around. It sounds like he handled the situation like a p'd off father would. Making the wrestlers write essays on how they screwed up and how they wouldn't do so in the future is great."

Do you think he should have handled it differently?

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on May 26, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

That's a tough question to answer. There's a line between acting with integrity, showing a certain amount of grace to the young men, and "throwing the bumbs out". Without knowing all the details, I think he tried to act in a manner that held his wrestlers to account for their actions yet offered them a second chance. There's something to be said for that. So I guess, again without knowing all the details, that he tried to do the right thing.

If my kid was in a similar situation, I'd hope he was shown grace and given a second chance, while also receiving a swift kick in his @$$.

On a related sports note, the head coach for Baylor football got canned today for allowing sexual predators on his team.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

I think in this case handling in-house is the first step.

One part of that "in-house" approach would be informing the kids involved that they have a SHORT leash. Additionally, I would inform the kids that they have seven days to contact the AD and their parents to inform them of what occurred. If the AD and parents hadn't contacted me by the end of those seven days to state that the boys/young men had communicated with them I would personally call the people myself (or if possible, drive them to the AD's office or home of the parents) to inform them of what occurred.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Dealing Xanax is a felony in Ohio. If he caught kids stealing cars and did the same thing, would you be OK with it?

He should be fired, immediately.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 26, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"I think in this case handling in-house is the first step.

One part of that "in-house" approach would be informing the kids involved that they have a SHORT leash. Additionally, I would inform the kids that they have seven days to contact the AD and their parents to inform them of what occurred. If the AD and parents hadn't contacted me by the end of those seven days to state that the boys/young men had communicated with them I would personally call the people myself (or if possible, drive them to the AD's office or home of the parents) to inform them of what occurred."

This.

Let me ask this question: if they knew athletes were dealing narcotics, would any competent HS coach not turn this in to their AD? So, why should J feel beholden to grown men on his team?

As a coach, you can love and care about the young men you coach...but you can't hide the evidence when you break the law. It might kill you to do it, but you just can't. That's part of your job as an educator and mentor.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 27, 2016

I have huge respect for J. Rob but JL Jackson has it nailed.
First thing he had to do was bring the situation to his AD's attention. You can't handle it in house. J. Rob is through as Minny. Lousy end to an amazing career. I'll be shocked if it goes any differently.

Of course, maybe it will be handled like the NBA dealt with Draymond Green. Kick a guy in the nuts and you get away with it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 27, 2016

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"Dealing Xanax is a felony in Ohio. If he caught kids stealing cars and did the same thing, would you be OK with it?

He should be fired, immediately."

case closed IF the facts as reported are accurate--- the FIRST thing JRob needed to assess is whether a law or an NCAA rule had been violated.

If either was the case or was even possibly the case then it is out of JRob's hands. He needed to immediately refer the matter to higher authority.

witness how Tressel's poor judgement cost him his job. A coach- even if well meaning- cannot "handle in-house" either broken laws or NCAA rules violations.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 27, 2016

For the sake of consideration run this situation (as reported) through the filter/criteria of a RICO should some LE entity be so inclined...

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on May 27, 2016

I agree with those who think JRod should've reported it to the AD. I'm going to assume that JRod doesn't have the legal expertise to make decisions on the legal ramification of his actions. I get that he wanted to handle it in house but this wasn't one of those situations, imo.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 27, 2016

who in their right mind thinks it might be legal to sell hundreds of prescription pills to the general public?? don't we all have enough life experience and common sense to know this might be illegal???

i'm not condemning anyone, i'm surely a flawed man myself -- but let's tell it like it is.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on May 28, 2016

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"who in their right mind thinks it might be legal to sell hundreds of prescription pills to the general public?? don't we all have enough life experience and common sense to know this might be illegal???

i'm not condemning anyone, i'm surely a flawed man myself -- but let's tell it like it is."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvNS7JfcMM

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next