Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Memorial Day-Veterans on Dot.Net?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 1, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Very impressive to see how many of our posters have served. Curious if Shel Harper's name belongs on that list. Also, wondering about Bill Drypolcher?"

i cant speak for my friend Shel, however Bill Drypolcher, yes-- per my Joe Begala H of F submission in 2011 i took a statement from BillD. He wr for Begala. Bill was in same unit as myself (not sure what years?), he was an officer and Army Ranger in the 101st Airborne in Viet, my notes say.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Sean Koran added to this discussion on June 1, 2016

Thank you all for your service!!!

Shel Harper added to this discussion on June 2, 2016

Haven't checked in for awhile, so my intro may be lacking something. Anyway, yes Hank, I served 1942-45...mostly the battle of sheppard field TX (lower cawe because it wan't a very big battle. As George Gobel said in describing his WWII ervice in defending Oklahoma, "Not one Jap fighter got past Tulsa."

Shel Harper

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 3, 2016

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

" Anyway, yes Hank, I served 1942-45...mostly the battle of sheppard field TX (lower cawe because it wan't a very big battle. "

Shel, u no doubt fought the "townies" over their GFs, so don't underestimate your contribution to the war effort. ...have a martini on me, its Friday, hope u doing well. BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 4, 2016

Shel: That's funny! Glad you answered my query.

Shel Harper added to this discussion on June 4, 2016

Bob. . .about those townies: In the summer of '45 the post sponsored a dance and invited females from nearby Wichita Falls. 50 of the Texas lassies showed up to confront 500 GIs. Not good odds. It was tough duty. Especially playing around with a football in the rec yard in 104 degree temp.

About that martini: you're one of a very few people at the top of my bucket list to hoist one with. (Right below Sophia Loren, another highly toastable person, though for a quite different reason).

And I still gotta meet Hank Kornblut, to say nothing of so many others on this post who are just names to me for now, but each probably worth an entire fun evening of wrestle talk that I'd have trouble keeping pace with.

Thanks to all of you for listening in on your back and forth.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 5, 2016

Quote from Shel Harper's post:

"Bob. . .About that martini: you're one of a very few people at the top of my bucket list to hoist one with. (Right below Sophia Loren, another highly toastable person, though for a quite different reason)."

that makes my day Shel, being mentioned with Sophia Loren.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 5, 2016

Bob: Were you in One Million BC with Sophia Loren and Jim Brown?

Oops, I confused Sophia Loren and Raquel Welch.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 5, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bob: Were you in One Million BC with Sophia Loren and Jim Brown?"

BC, i'm old enough Hank, lol... i liked the other Italian bombshell at the time, too, Gina Lolabrigida.

BTW, great photo PD today, from 1967 when Cleveland was important, Jim Brown called a meeting HERE of civil rights leaders & sports stars to discuss Mohammad Ali's refusal to report for the draft.

In this simple black and white photo-- all the men wearing business suits & ties-- the 4 seated in front row were sports giants Bill Russel, Ali, Jim Brown, Kareem Abdul Jabbar... PD doesnt even identify the men standing behind them one of whom i can see was MLK himself.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 6, 2016

June 6 today, a pretty big day 72 years ago.... 156,000 allied troops and thousands of aircraft & ships commenced Operation Overlord the invasion of Fortress Europe.

Weather was stormy and unpredictable, Eisenhower only had a short time to make a decision to launch, a small window of opportunity. If hurled back into the sea, the war which killed 20 or 30 million people could have raged on at least two more years. By that time Hitler's brilliant scientists might have perfected their V-2 rocket.

today its all taken for granted by many people, however 72 year ago, the world held their collective breath. People sat by their radios and prayed their sons and neighbors sons would be victorious and come home safely.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2