Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kosta Karageorge - NY Times article
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on June 22, 2016

The attached article is the best explanation that I have seen concerning the last few hours of Kosta Karageorge's life.

There will never be enough answers to explain exactly what happened, but this article makes some sense to us fans that never understood why this happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/sports/kosta-karageorge-cte-concussions-suicide.html?_r=0

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on June 22, 2016

Sadly, it answers the question that I had (where the gun came from, etc). Concussions......

BTW, in contradiction to the article, I'm positive Kosta got onto the field for a few snaps against Navy or V. Tech. I think it was V. Tech.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2016

I'm sorry he suffered so deeply. And I can't imagine how awful his parents must feel as they wonder how they might have prevented this from happening.

My biggest takeaway is that he was mentally ill and desperately in need of counseling/therapy for a long time. But he was convinced that his emotional problems were weakness that he could "shake off." But you don't shake off this type of illness. It requires extensive treatment.

We are a primitive nation when it comes to confronting emotional problems. Kosta is just another victim of our bullshit machismo culture. There's a time and place for toughness but you can't will away illness just because it affects your brain.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on June 23, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'm sorry he suffered so deeply. And I can't imagine how awful his parents must feel as they wonder how they might have prevented this from happening.

My biggest takeaway is that he was mentally ill and desperately in need of counseling/therapy for a long time. But he was convinced that his emotional problems were weakness that he could "shake off." But you don't shake off this type of illness. It requires extensive treatment.

We are a primitive nation when it comes to confronting emotional problems. Kosta is just another victim of our bullshit machismo culture. There's a time and place for toughness but you can't will away illness just because it affects your brain."

As per usual, I find myself unequivocally agreeing with you, Hank. To add to your sentiment, I fear we've only seen the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to brain injuries and CTE that are a result of combat sports. The research is there and has been known for many, many years. It's still being minimized from the general patient population to lesson the blow to bigger ideals still. Personally, I've experienced many of the same symptoms from playing football and wrestling from age 5 on up. Our generation was told over and over to suck it up and tough your way through it. At 40 years old I can honestly say I see symptoms here and there that I've always related back to my playing days. And I think MOST former players that have sustained repeated concussions will tell you the same. The vigilance it is going to take to truly overcome this isn't coming anytime soon. As a society we place too much value on the games associated with these injuries (myself included in that).

► Add to the Discussion