Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Adeline Gray
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 22, 2016

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/June/21/Adeline-Gray-ESPN-The-Body-Issue

Adeline Gray is going to be in the next rendition of ESPN's The Body Issue. What's your take: good or bad publicity for the sport? Good or bad publicity for her?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on June 22, 2016

I think it's good all the way around:

1) She has a tremendous body, but she is tall and very fit. She's not some eating-disorder driven female. The goal of the issue, IMO, is to show killer athletic builds that the average human can't (or won't achieve).

2) She's got good company: only the most elite athletes are featured. Not all sports are represented, so any wrestling = good press.

3) After Jordan Burroughs, Gray, Kyle Snyder and Helen Maroulis are are most dominant US wrestlers....so she's got the skills to back it up.

Curt Heinrichs added to this discussion on June 23, 2016

I think this is a good thing, both for Adeline and for wrestling.

ESPN the Magazine gets lots of eyes, and the Body Issue is tastefully done. Adeline doesn't have the type of personality where she's able to draw attention with her mic skills (guys like Chael Sonnen come to mind), so she's lucky to have another opportunity to gain fans. In all of the interviews I've ever heard, she is a humble,sweet, and polite person, which doesn't exactly cause casual fans to tune in (though I certainly appreciate that approach from someone as talented as she is). If she draws even a few fans to watch the women's wrestling in Rio thanks to this photo shoot, the rest of the wrestling community should be grateful.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 6, 2016

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/article/16743501/wrestler-adeline-gray-talks-role-models-wrestling-national-exposure-espn-body-issue

She pulls it off on all fronts: she's got a great body and is right in the mix at Rio. Gray also really interviews well.

► Add to the Discussion