Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Monroeville
Mark Viviani added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Based on the fargo results it looks like Monroeville will have a strong team at the state tourney next year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Yes. I'd say they are the clear favorites to finish in third place, behind only Troy Christian and Marion Pleasant who will battle for the championship again. Monroeville has four big-time scorers in Tessari, Phillips, and the Stieber bros, plus Lance Johnson could help them out if he can win some matches down there. The defending champion, Troy Christian, doesn't appear to have the top-level talent of Monroeville but they have a lot more depth and that will prove to make a big difference in the team standings. Marion Pleasant has big scorers Moore and Wilson to lead them and plenty of depth.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

While TC doesn't have the top level talent of Monroeville, they have a greater volume of high placement types in the DIII climate.
They return state champs in Ben Sergent and Zack Toal, state finalist in Zach Hancock, and a mid-placer in Jordan Thome. In addition, they had low placement finishes from Cody Libengood and Chris Burns. TC also had a state alternate in Greg Bogard and a district placer in Sam Akins. They're also probably going to get another scorer at state in the 103# position - the backup last year, Hancock, should start this year. That excludes the potential addition of Nathan Jones to the program.

Marion Pleasant is the likely team to take second. They return state champs in Steve Wilson and Jedd Moore. While not having absolute cofirmation of this, the rumors were that state runner-up Josh Demas has moved elsewhere for the coming season. Pleasan't third high place returnee is Zach Pope. They return mid-placers in Riki Reynolds, Cody Coomes (though he'll be up a lot of weight classes), and Spencer Adams. The other state qualifiers were Scott McDaniel, Colton Bowers, and Aaron Edington. Another name to watch is Mike McCoy, who won a pair of matches at 160 in JN FS (assuming a lineup of McDaniel, Coomes, McCoy, Moore, and Wilson from 145-171).

Monroeville has the big four and Lance Johnson. However, Johnson is likely to be in a non-optimal for him 125# weight class. That could be a very deep weight if Stieber is at 119 due to movement out of it. I would not predict Johnson as more than a low state placer at best.

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Knowing the Monroeville boys all to well <banghead> I would say that at the very least 3-4 state finalists, with a couple champs this season...at least. They should be top 3 this year I agree, they will have their shot to win it all for the next few years as all their studs are underclassmen and they have a couple more kids who could end up down in Columbus in a couple years scoring a few points. After this run ending in 2011, the future looks a little dry....right now. Coach Bauer and his staff have not had the largest or the best teams for several years, yet they hung in their and worked with what they had. They deserve this moment in the sun. Good luck to Monroeville! (except when you see us...we'll need all the luck then lol)

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Yes best of luck to monroeville, seems to me that they had slipped my radar until now that is.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 30, 2007

Quote from Mark Viviani's post:

"Yes best of luck to monroeville, seems to me that they had slipped my radar until now that is."

They hadn't been on the radar. Program had one state PLACER in its history up to last year. Drew Schafer was a 3x placer (6-Q-2-3).

Louie Stanley added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

I had heard alot about Phillips, and I was a little skeptical about a freshman to be winning a state tilte above 160lbs. However I watched him wrestle the very tough Mills from Univerity School at the Disney Duals, Chris handled him with strength and quickness. I know its summer time, but that made me a believer!!

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 1, 2007

I have heard alot about Phillips and followed his results but have yet to see him wrestle. How do people who have seen him feel he matches up with Marion Pleasants duo of Moore and Wilson. It seems more likely that he will have to go through seniro returning state champ Wilson.

Todd Fox added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

Phillips is special. He may end up one of the best upper weights in Ohio History. I think he will compete with anyone.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 2, 2007

I met Chris in Painesville a couple weeks ago. In comparing him to another recent star freshman upperweight, Brian Roddy... When Brian was a freshman he already had the physique and strength of a young man of 18 or so. Chris really looks like he's 14, and that makes me think he can still grow and fill out more... a scary thought for opponents.

Based on every result I've seen, Chris Phillips has the potential to be as good as a Dustin Schlatter.

A few I've heard and/or read...
- When Phillips was in only 6th grade, he defeated 8th grader Andrew Gasber 14-2. Gasber was an All-American at Fargo a few months later.
- Phillips lost in the closing seconds to a Pennsylvania senior state champion... after just finishing the 7th grade.
- Phillips scored two quick takedowns on nationally-ranked Cory Peltier this spring before being touch-falled. That was reportedly his some of his first Freestyle action ever.
- In his first off-season of Freestyle, he dominated at Fargo at 171 pounds.

As a fan, I hope Wilson is up at 171 because it would be a great match. As an advice-giver, I'd hope Wilson goes 160 because I don't know if anyone from Ohio not named Roddy will ever beat Phillips.

Stu Herman added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

Add to his aura that he major decisioned then just graduated senior state placer Brett Terry from New Albany the summer after his 7th grade year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

That's astonishing.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

As I mentioned, I have not seen Phillips wrestle, however it would seem unlikely that a senior returning state champ would bump away from an incoming freshman (whether he should or not remains to be seen). Does Pleasant see Monroeville b/f state. What other top competition will Phillips see prior to state.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

They should see them at Brecksville

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on August 3, 2007

Monroeville will be at the Walsh Ironman again as well as Brecksville. I think they may have added the Hephner as well (I have no confirmation on that).

Pleasant is at Brecksville for sure. They may have added Ironman - that I am not sure; certainly with Moore and Wilson, they have Ironman quality kids.

Regardless of whether Pleasant is at Ironman or not, we will have a feeling VERY QUICKLY of where Phillips is in the high school wrestling world - and I have a feeling that's a second or third-tier national guy (i.e. 5-10 or 10-25) at his weight.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next