Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Double Bronzes
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 15, 2016

I may have already asked this at some point in the past, but does anyone have a good explanation as to why wrestling started giving out two bronze medals at World and Olympic competitions? It would make so much more sense to simply have one more match per weight class to actually determine third and fourth place. If I were an athlete who took fourth in another sport and just missed out on a medal, I'd be pissed if I saw that the top four wrestlers get a medal!

Do any other sports give out double bronzes? Judo?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 17, 2016

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"I may have already asked this at some point in the past, but does anyone have a good explanation as to why wrestling started giving out two bronze medals at World and Olympic competitions? It would make so much more sense to simply have one more match per weight class to actually determine third and fourth place. If I were an athlete who took fourth in another sport and just missed out on a medal, I'd be pissed if I saw that the top four wrestlers get a medal!

Do any other sports give out double bronzes? Judo?"

Jeff: If you compete in gymnastics, there are a gazillion medal opportunities. Same with swimming or track. Wrestlers get one chance. Their weights are barely seeded. If they lose, they have to be carried to get back in. All that work for years and they compete under regulations that we wouldn't use for a high school JV event. So, what do I think about two bronzes? Answer--YES. Hell, they should offer four.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 17, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Jeff: If you compete in gymnastics, there are a gazillion medal opportunities. Same with swimming or track. Wrestlers get one chance. Their weights are barely seeded. If they lose, they have to be carried to get back in. All that work for years and they compete under regulations that we wouldn't use for a high school JV event. So, what do I think about two bronzes? Answer--YES. Hell, they should offer four."

Good points Hank. But wrestling didn't always give out two bronze medals, right? Does anyone know the origin?

John Flanigan added to this discussion on August 17, 2016

Here's what I found:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/why-does-judo-tae-kwon-wrestling-award-two-123145582--oly.html

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 17, 2016

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Jeff: If you compete in gymnastics, there are a gazillion medal opportunities. Same with swimming or track. Wrestlers get one chance. Their weights are barely seeded. If they lose, they have to be carried to get back in. All that work for years and they compete under regulations that we wouldn't use for a high school JV event. So, what do I think about two bronzes? Answer--YES. Hell, they should offer four."

Good points Hank. But wrestling didn't always give out two bronze medals, right? Does anyone know the origin?"

Jeff: If they offered true double elimination, I'd be in favor of only having one bronze. Started around 2000 I think.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 26, 2016

If the IOC's criteria is more concerned with limiting the number of medals for wrestling, then I say give one bronze medal out at each weight class, and make it 8 weight classes per style. That would result in the same number of medals (4 medals * 18 weight classes = 3 medals * 24 weight classes = 72).

If the IOC's criteria is more concerned with limiting the number of competitors for wrestling, then make each bracket an even 16 instead of the 19 or 20 (and still give out three medals per weight). Taking 3 wrestlers from 18 weight classes frees up enough spots to add another weight class to all three styles.

And yes, it should be a seeded (firm criteria so as to avoid disputes), double-elimination 16 man bracket. It's silly not to do so, and with three mats there is plenty of time to wrestle two or three weights to completion in one day.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 26, 2016

"I may have already asked this at some point in the past, but does anyone have a good explanation as to why wrestling started giving out two bronze medals at World and Olympic competitions? It would make so much more sense to simply have one more match per weight class to actually determine third and fourth place. If I were an athlete who took fourth in another sport and just missed out on a medal, I'd be pissed if I saw that the top four wrestlers get a medal!

Do any other sports give out double bronzes? Judo?"

I think they do in Judo. I believe boxing started doing it as well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 26, 2016

"And yes, it should be a seeded (firm criteria so as to avoid disputes), double-elimination 16 man bracket. It's silly not to do so, and with three mats there is plenty of time to wrestle two or three weights to completion in one day."

I can't stand the rush to get it done in one day. The 100m dash for crying out loud is completed over three days. 18 weight classes. 9 weights completed over first three days. 9 over last three days. Full double elimination tournaments. SO SIMPLE.

► Add to the Discussion