Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: 74 KG Bracket - Burroughs Draw
Eric Curitore added to this discussion on August 18, 2016

What a joke

http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/794-olympic-games

2nd round features the two guys who should be in the finals. Mind you I have no idea how they actually do this, perhaps it's just random, though it's frustrating from an outsiders perspective. Random draws perhaps eliminates the idea that we could consistently see smaller countries get bounced 1st or 2nd round through seeding...though I'd take that 10/10 times in comparison to this. I get you have to beat the best to be the best, though it's not fair to either of these guys...not to mention good for the sport.

Ok, I'm done ranting :)

The guy Burroughs has in the 1st round is the same guy he had in the 1st round back at the 2014 Worlds. Let's avoid another leg injury here...

I did like the draw Dennis got. Could of been way worse.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 18, 2016

Wrestling internationally, and in many ways domestically, is its own worst enemy in promoting the sport. I know of no other sports in the Olympics that only separates the finalists from previous world championships. Every other one seeds. Dumb. Just. Plain. Dumb.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

Dennis gets blown out first match. Burroughs looks lackluster but gets a controlled 8-3 decision over Ghana.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

That Ghana guy gives Jordan a fit. He's very long and appears pretty dang strong. Jordan was crazy tired towards the end of that match. Tough opponent for sure, though not terribly thrilled with the tune up performance heading into the 2nd round against the Russian.

Dennis got caught in a nasty hold and turned himself into a towel in a drier it looked like. Hopefully he can get pulled back in. As I sit here typing, Dubov just picked up a fall in the quarters. One more win for him officially gets Dennis back in the mix.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

Wow! Burroughs goes down to the Russian.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

Yazdani is rolling through 74.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

Burroughs has looked slow in his matches. He's 28--and should still be in his prime. Something was off with him.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 19, 2016

It's 10:20p and I still haven't shaken the loss.

My heart breaks for JB. I find myself seeking out his interviews because he exudes class. I love hearing his perspective. Rock on JB.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 20, 2016

I thought JB was headed to a TF in his first match, but departed from his attack mode at about the 4:00 mark. He went real passive. I hadn't seen that before in a JB match. The two extended headlocks in the QF had me grimacing. Something was different.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 21, 2016

Asked a highly accomplished competitor for his opinion and he remarked that it looked as if the pressure got to Burroughs. He wanted so bad to be a "breakthrough athlete" for our sport that his focus wasn't right. Seems possible.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 21, 2016

Hank, exactly what I told a coaching friend of mine.

David Rourke added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

IMO, Burroughs has focused so much on his legacy and his comments during his interview after his 2nd loss, as well as his comments in the past year, tell it all. He talked so much about being the next John Smith and surpassing Smith's World title record. After his 2nd loss in Rio he talked about being like Michael Phelps and Simone Biles as far as notoriety. He was putting himself on a pedestal, which you don't do, others put you on a pedestal. He's still the best, but he needs to get his head straight and focus on competing...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Here's the perfect mindset. Quote from Kyle Snyder:

"I think, if anything, my secret is that instead of thinking about winning and thinking about gold medals and stuff like that, I try to value just my effort, value my improvement and value the love that I have for the sport. That drives me every day."

Alex Creech added to this discussion on August 22, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Here's the perfect mindset. Quote from Kyle Snyder:

"I think, if anything, my secret is that instead of thinking about winning and thinking about gold medals and stuff like that, I try to value just my effort, value my improvement and value the love that I have for the sport. That drives me every day.""

Yup, also that his biggest fear isn't losing, it's having a match where he didn't give everything he has.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on August 29, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Here's the perfect mindset. Quote from Kyle Snyder:

"I think, if anything, my secret is that instead of thinking about winning and thinking about gold medals and stuff like that, I try to value just my effort, value my improvement and value the love that I have for the sport. That drives me every day.""

Hank, everyone has a different perspective on wrestling and life that motivates them. Snyder wrestled great with his mindset this time and JB has wrestled great every other time with his mindset. I think many wrestling fans are being to critical and searching for reasons why JB didn't get it done. The fact of the matter is wrestling is hard and having everlasting success is impossible. If anyone can recover from a loss it's JB. He is 130-4 in his international career. I don't think anyone is qualified to question or debate his mindset.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next