Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Kaleb Romero
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 21, 2016

First off, Rosselli pulling Lawson is kind of a big deal. I'm actually a little surprised that more people didn't comment on it.

As far as this thread in general, I've been out of the high school scene for a little while now, haven't gone to the State Tourney in a couple years. Can someone fill me in on exactly how good Romero is. I know he is going for his fourth (so we're talking about levels of greatness here), but looking back, last year was his first super dominant run through the tournament. I didn't see him in the Ironman bracket from last year, but I also didn't go back any further. Any Fargo results? Big national level wins? He was a 160 last year, right? Did he cross paths with Marinelli?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 21, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"First off, Rosselli pulling Lawson is kind of a big deal. I'm actually a little surprised that more people didn't comment on it.

As far as this thread in general, I've been out of the high school scene for a little while now, haven't gone to the State Tourney in a couple years. Can someone fill me in on exactly how good Romero is. I know he is going for his fourth (so we're talking about levels of greatness here), but looking back, last year was his first super dominant run through the tournament. I didn't see him in the Ironman bracket from last year, but I also didn't go back any further. Any Fargo results? Big national level wins? He was a 160 last year, right? Did he cross paths with Marinelli?"

Brady can speak to how good he is better then me. But from I know he did not wrestle Marinelli but he did beat the #2 ranked 160 Young (committed to Iowa) at Disney Duals. He is great football player and he has his team in the playoffs so it makes it difficult to participate in Ironman.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on September 21, 2016

Romero is a stud. The thing I like about him is that he has never wrestled year-round due to being a high level football guy. At least that's my perception.

How scary-good does he get when that happens?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 21, 2016

He's actually won something crazy like 10 consecutive state titles, going back to OAC's. And did he win a state title in fball?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 22, 2016

4Xers from Ohio actually have a pretty amazing track record at the next level. From Jim and Jeff Jordan to Logan and Hunter Stieber to Jaggers to Ryan Lang to Kenny Ramsey to Lance Palmer...being a 4X state champion is almost a guarantee to an All American finish. C.P. Sclatter and Erik Burnett got one. You can count on one hand the guys that didn't AA, and for most of them there was an injury or off the mat issue. My point is being a four time state champion in Ohio says that you have the skill to be a very good college wrestler. Is this kid that? Is he a likely All American at the DI level?

I know this is Hiatt's kid, so I'm not looking for someone to tell me he's overrated or something. I get the sense he's a tremendous athlete. How polished a wrestler are we talking about? And if unpolished, how big is his upside? Is he NCAA champion material? No prediction would be out of bounds with the success Ohio 4Xers have had.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on September 22, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Jason Russell added to this discussion on September 22, 2016

"4Xers from Ohio actually have a pretty amazing track record at the next level. From Jim and Jeff Jordan to Logan and Hunter Stieber to Jaggers to Ryan Lang to Kenny Ramsey to Lance Palmer...being a 4X state champion is almost a guarantee to an All American finish. C.P. Sclatter and Erik Burnett got one. You can count on one hand the guys that didn't AA, and for most of them there was an injury or off the mat issue. My point is being a four time state champion in Ohio says that you have the skill to be a very good college wrestler. Is this kid that? Is he a likely All American at the DI level?

I know this is Hiatt kid, so I'm looking for someone to tell me he's overrated or something. I get the sense he's a tremendous athlete. How polished a wrestler are we talking about? And if unpolished, how big is his upside? Is he NCAA champion material? No prediction would be out of bounds with the success Ohio 4Xers have had."

Mike, he is the real deal for sure. Like Brian said, he hasn't wrestled year round and has continued to get better. I would like to see him at the Ironman this year, but it probably wont happen due to Football. I think he could be a multiple time AA, possible champ one day.

"4Xers from Ohio actually have a pretty amazing track record at the next level. From Jim and Jeff Jordan to Logan and Hunter Stieber to Jaggers to Ryan Lang to Kenny Ramsey to Lance Palmer...being a 4X state champion is almost a guarantee to an All American finish. C.P. Sclatter and Erik Burnett got one. You can count on one hand the guys that didn't AA, and for most of them there was an injury or off the mat issue. My point is being a four time state champion in Ohio says that you have the skill to be a very good college wrestler. Is this kid that? Is he a likely All American at the DI level?

I know this is Hiatt kid, so I'm looking for someone to tell me he's overrated or something. I get the sense he's a tremendous athlete. How polished a wrestler are we talking about? And if unpolished, how big is his upside? Is he NCAA champion material? No prediction would be out of bounds with the success Ohio 4Xers have had."

Mike, he is the real deal for sure. Like Brian said, he hasn't wrestled year round and has continued to get better. I would like to see him at the Ironman this year, but it probably wont happen due to Football. I think he could be a multiple time AA, possible champ one day.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on September 22, 2016

I've seen him in person a couple of times. He's got the frame to really add a lot of muscle mass, so he could fill out to be a really good size middle/upper weight as time goes on. He's got a great combination of speed and technique. Mike, the one thing I can tell you is that when you see kids that are at an elite level you can just tell..like, damn, that'll work on anyone. When Logan was a 100lb freshman you could just tell by how mechanical his technique was that he was on a whole other level. For a middle/upper weight I can say that Romero reminds me of that same type of technical savy. Maybe not Stieber elite, but pretty impressive none the less.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 22, 2016

Thanks guys, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. With a DIII wrestler that doesn't wrestle any national level tournaments like the Monroville four did or Jaggers or Tomessello, it's just hard for someone to judge without seeing it for yourself.

Do we know that he's wrestling in college rather than playing football?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 28, 2016

I would say that he's wrestling in college based on the time he has put into wrestling over his high school career (i.e. doing spring/summer off-season folkstyle stuff, as opposed to going to collegiate football I.D. camps).

Then there's the pragmatic side of it. Most of your very good wrestlers that play football in college are doing it as 220's and 285's (projecting to either OL/DL or LB). Kaleb plays QB and safety weighing about 185 pounds (my guess is that if he was interested in playing D1 college football, most of the MAC should be interested in him as a safety; if not as a candidate to convert to receiver).

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 3, 2016

He's posted these on his twitter account so I'll share with you here. He's visited tOSU (as I posted earlier),UNC a couple weekends ago, and this past weekend was at Cornell. He will go to one of those schools.

Michael, as for how good he is -- I have no question he would be a game changer for DI program trying to climb into upper ranks (and I told that same thing to three other DI coaches, 2 outside Big Ten and 1 in Big Ten, that called me about him and they agreed) and a big cog for a program already there.

He is incredibly stingy on his feet. In his high school career, he has only given up 2 takedowns - both at Ironman his sophomore year when he had three weeks to prepare following football season.

Last year, he gave up 0 offensive points - which included wins over 4 state champs (Hiles, Beverly, and two from out of state). He has given up 0 offensive points in the three state tournaments he's won - including 0 points in his three finals wins. So first two years he was more Dake dominant, and last year was more Taylor dominant. Over the summer, he beat Beverly again (14-4), Stefanik (ranked 9 by Flo), Kaleb Young (ranked #2 - now Fr. at Iowa - gave up 1st takedown in over a year to him when leading late in 3rd period).

To give some a,b,c comparison which isn't always exact but does give perspective, Kaleb tech'd D.Vitt in state semis 19-2. Vitt bumped up a weight and lost to tOSU recruit Steiner 5-4, who had defeated 2x champ Handerwick 5-4 earlier in the year.

Yes, but those are just against HS kids -- but if what I hear out of RTC room is true, he is more than accounting for himself against the men in that room.

Another perspective on him. When he was a sophomore wrestling in district finals, Nate Carr (when David was at DC) was sitting next to me watching a couple finals. When Kaleb wrestled, he said, "the kid never gets out of position, and then explodes so well on shots and off bottom." Nice praise from a legend in our sport.

Now, if he had any athletic ability to speak of he'd be really dangerous. :)

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on October 3, 2016; edited 2 times in total

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 3, 2016

Brady: The most impressive comment from your post was praise from Nate Carr. If Carr thinks he's good, that says a lot.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 3, 2016

Thanks Brady. Like I said earlier, Ohio 4Xers have a rich history at the DI college level. With me being away from the sport, I've honestly never seen him wrestle. Barring injury or off the mat issues, history points to him being successful at the next level.

Will football keep him out of Ironman this year?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next