Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Rosselli to Oklahoma
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 2, 2016

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"...Kids with solid character improve at a much higher rate than those without..."

I have no issue with a coach or a program recruiting character, but I don't think that's it's a accurate statement to say they improve at a higher or lesser rate than anyone else. There are plenty of examples of phenominally successful athletes who have questionable character by Coach Ryan's standards.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 3, 2016

More to the point...how does one define character?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 3, 2016

I have no insight or clue to how Coach Ryan defines it. Moreover, he cited a study from the Navy SEALS. That study found that those with less development but great character could improve better/more than those who were more developed but lacked in character. That was Coach Ryan's point based on the study from the Navy SEALS program. I found it interesting; it stuck.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 3, 2016

Mike, i'm just repeating Ryans words, hes always loved Kollin Moore going back a year--- i don't know what Ryan thinks he can accomplish this season but 197 will be a strength.

of course J'den Cox has iron grip on the top spot, AWN had great article in August: The Fifteen, 15 guys only in NCAA history have won it all as true freshmen, Cox and Myles Martin are 2 of the 15 (Dustin Schlatter & Pat Milkovich too)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 3, 2016

That was a good article, Bob. Three of the fifteen were Ohio guys. Lee Kemp could have easily been another.

Tim McIntyre added to this discussion on September 6, 2016

I had the Honor to accompany a great group of guys to Virginia Beach for National Duels (my son was the extra at 126) with Kollin i was truly amazed at watching him wrestle in a group of all stars he was a true stand out.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 7, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"More to the point...how does one define character?"

Depends on the coach.

To see how TR defines it, see guys over the past 3-4 years that he's recruited.

Snyder, Tomasello, Martin, Jordan (x2), Moore, etc. All, on the surface, seem to be good students, hard workers, great people.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

I know hindsight is 20/20, but given the situation up at Minnesota, does anyone else think Coach Rosselli wishes he had waited a week to make his decision to leave for Oklahoma?

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I know hindsight is 20/20, but given the situation up at Minnesota, does anyone else think Coach Rosselli wishes he had waited a week to make his decision to leave for Oklahoma?"

I thought about that as well but considering that MN isn't in any hurry to find a new HC, he probably made the right choice.

I don't think he made the wrong call (well actually I do, but not because of the school he chose), but it's not every day that a triple A job like that opens up. When the Ohio State job came open for Coach Ryan it was accurately depicted as a "sleeping giant". Minnesota isn't even sleeping. That's a cherry job for someone. I wonder who will get it?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Minny has several excellent assistants who have strong ties to the program and it's success. I'd be surprised if they didn't stay in house. Quickest way from point A to point B is a straight line. Don't see why they'd need to bring in an outsider unless they have doubts about Eggum or Becker.

Obviously, I don't have the same loyalty gene as most, but I don't understand the "hiring from within" thing as a philosophy. What are the odds the BEST guy for the job just happens to be the next guy in line at the institution. I feel like you can look inward at your coaching staff, but far too much weight is put on the alma mater.

Look at the Buckeyes, when Coach Hellickson stepped down, there was a push to hire Tommy Rowlands...by all accounts a great guy, a good coach, an Ohio State legend and a recruiting juggernaut for the home state. Even given all that, Tom Ryan was the right choice. If Minnesota wants to build on what JRob has done for the past 30 years, broaden the search and hire the next big thing.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Last night, I spoke with a parent who's son is a starter on the OU team. Rosselli is already getting their cardio where it needs to be for the upcoming season. It'll be interesting following the progress not only the wrestlers but the team as well.

I listened to a podcast that Rosselli did on 9/1 for an OU sports talk show. It's going to take some time and it's going to be an uphill battle but I think he's up for the challenge. He said it was an easy decision to take the job at OU so with that said, he made the right choice.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Hahn? Manny grad but experience at another top notch program.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 8, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"More to the point...how does one define character?"

quote from lengthy interview with Tom Ryan, will be in Oct 2016 issue AWN:

Question: Tell our readers the key qualities you look for in a high school recruit?

Ryan: Prolonged success is what we are all after. Talent and hard work will take us there but only character will keep us there. I look forward men who communicate honestly with our staff. Men that are tireless workers and find value in suffering. Men that take their grades serious. Men that guard themselves from the distractions the world can bring.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next