Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Roman Bravo Young and Travis Wittlake verbal to Penn St
Matt Mace added to this discussion on October 22, 2016

The rich continue to get richer.
http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1002416-travis-wittlake-jr-roman-bravoyoung-make-college-commitment

Wittlake is a 170 lb junior and ranked #4 overall recruit for class of 2018
RBY is a 126 lb junior ranked #5 overall recruit for class of 2018

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 23, 2016

Big time recruits heading to Happy Valley.

There are still only 10 singlets. But the depth is unique.

Additionally, the PSU is assembling now what will pay off big time in the way of the NLWC. Which will only improve future PSU teams. That's so Rosselli.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Sounds like a serious arms race between PSU and Iowa right now. It's great to make a huge splash with recruiting, but as many have said, how do you fit all of that into one team. And as far as the NLWC goes, I haven't seen any hardware (at an olympic or world level) come out of that RTC yet. Until that changes, which it may, I'll take the Ohio RTC any day of the week.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

PSU, tOSU, Iowa and Okie State are clearly batting for the top of top recruits. PSU has the easiest path to getting them IMO but Bucks have countered nicely with Romero and Singletary. ASU also a big part of title picture in a few years. Cornell always loading up and has two super studs coming in. Mizzou, Virginia Tech, Nebraska and Michigan also doing their best to keep pace.

Bucks decision to bring on Anthony Ralph strikes me as a sharp move to enhance recruiting presence. I like the forward thinking.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

In the press release on Ralph I found it interesting that him being home grown in Ohio was mentioned multiple times (if memory serves). Seems to me like an attempt to strengthen in-state bonds to acquire Ohio talent.

I'm sure there are some who see Coach Ryan recruiting nationally and wonder why he isn't always focused on Ohio kids.

I also believe that the razor-thin difference between tOSU and the Big 3 of PSU, Iowa, and Ok. State is depth. We've discussed this at length. Ohio State's depth needs to come from identifying and signing talent from Ohio.

A pessimist may view the wrestle-off results as proof that the depth in the room is lacking. A very stark contrast between the ones and twos (granted the ones may be the best line up in the country!).

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"I also believe that the razor-thin difference between tOSU and the Big 3 of PSU, Iowa, and Ok. State is depth. We've discussed this at length. Ohio State's depth needs to come from identifying and signing talent from Ohio. "

ohio st is that level, definitely on same level as Okla st who hasnt won an NCAA team title since 2006 and when they did had only one starter from oklahoma, and Iowa who hasnt won team title in 5 years and hasnt won indiv title the last 2 years.

Talent doesnt want to sit, talent wants schol $, how is anyone going to attract "talented" depth, except Penn st who is on their own level right now? And even Penn st has to go out of state to get it.

Bob - looks at Ok. State's back ups. Look at Iowa's back ups. Talent will go to those programs for a reduced package.

I agree - OSU is at that level with their starters, without a doubt.

perhaps u have a point Ethan, if u can give me examples of backups on Iowa & Okla st who are normally starter material?

i'm not talking Redshirts-- i mean guys who would be NCAA quals, at least, maybe round of 12 candidates if they could start, guys losing eligibility on the bench?

Wait, wait, wait - I have prove what I say???

Ha, OK. Let me try.

125 on Ok. State roster:

- Cannon - 2X Oklahoma State Champ
- Gentzler - 4X Kansas State Champ
- Hale - 1X Oklahoma State Champ, Multiple Fargo Placer, 15-8 last season as a back up (placed at the Scuffle)
- Piccininni - 4X NY State Champ, FloNats Champ, 16-4 last year during RS season

133:

- Brock - 3X Oklahoma State Champ, 5X Fargo Placer, 19-1 last season
- Wayne-Harding - NCAA Qualifier, 43-26 as a starter
- Lemon - 1X Kansas Runner Up
- Olson - 4X Michigan Sate Champ, 2X Fargo AA, 11-7 during RS season

141:

- Heil - defending national champ
- Lewallen - 3X Oklahoma State Champ
- Moran - AZ and OK State Champ, Fargo 3rd, 20-5 during RS season
- Schumacher - 4X ND Sate Champ, 6-6 during RS season
- Sellers - Junior College AA

149:

- Collica - 86-29 career record, we know his accomplishments in Fargo, etc
- Blaylock - 43-13 during first two seasons
- Dolan - 17-14 career record, 4X Oklahoma State Champ
- Sheets - 3X Oklahoma State Champ, 2X Fargo FS AA
- Martinez - NCAA All American at Boise State

To me - this is insane depth. I can't go into every weight right now.

You may be right - OSU may have the same or similar depth to Ok. State. In my opinion, this is the one area where they are a little behind the top 3. I am a Buckeye fan, just giving my opinion.

Again, I think the Ralph hire will address this long term.

thanks for info, i see u have studied subject Ethan ...

don't get too caught up with "Okla champs", as i had to point out to my editor 20 years ago, Okla has 4 classes, about 35 schools in each class.... how much talent in Okla? not that much anymore, i think the state of Okla had about 5 or 6 NCAA quals last season, Ohio had 34 or 35. In 2006 John Smith's last NCAA title team only Johny Hendricks was a home boy.

ohio st has signed guys in recent years who appeared to have "talent", non-starters Burcher, Seth Williams, Dan Harris-- who am i forgeting, help me out i'm foggy today? but u may have a point?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

" And as far as the NLWC goes, I haven't seen any hardware (at an olympic or world level) come out of that RTC yet. Until that changes, which it may, I'll take the Ohio RTC any day of the week."

Well... they have won a few medals.

Varner - Olympic champ 2012
Espinal - Olympic Silver 2012
Gomez - World Silver 2011

Jared Ball added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

" And as far as the NLWC goes, I haven't seen any hardware (at an olympic or world level) come out of that RTC yet. Until that changes, which it may, I'll take the Ohio RTC any day of the week."

Well... they have won a few medals.

Varner - Olympic champ 2012
Espinal - Olympic Silver 2012
Gomez - World Silver 2011"

let me live in my delusions please! I stand corrected

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Tom Ryan coached Ohio State teams have won an NCAA title, produced a 4x NCAA champ and an Olympic Gold Medalist/World Champion/NCAA Champion. I swear with my hand upon my favorite box of donuts that I am done second guessing Tom Ryan. I reserve the right to quibble for the sake of discussion.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that Ohio State has had to give more money to less individuals than some other schools. Dwight Leroy mentioned facilities (currently under revision) as a factor. Could be....don't know for sure. But talent the likes of Kyle, Nate, Bo, Micah, Myles and Ke-Shawn (plus Romero and Singletary in the wings) demands a high price. And it doesn't leave a lot of spare change to throw at other studly seniors esp. when someone else is offering them a lot more.

Let's see how the hiring of Coach Ralph pans out. Could be that he's the solution to the problem.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I swear with my hand upon my favorite box of donuts that I am done second guessing Tom Ryan."

"There isn't a problem in the world that a box of donuts can't solve." -Homer Simpson

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 24, 2016

People - like national scene writers - talked last year about how many points Ok. state's back-ups could score at the NCAA tournament. Some suggested top 10. That's depth.

Ethan: I am the ETERNAL optimist... our wrestle-offs did not display solid depth. I think two matches did not end in a double-digit margin. As someone stated...depth comes at a price.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next