Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Whoa - Pletcher out of RS
Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Not a bad idea Michael.
But I don't think that is the way to go.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Pat...first off, good talking to you. It's been a while. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Coach Ryan has shown time and time again that he's about putting the best team he can on the mat...and if there's a chance to win a title, he'll do whatever it takes put his team in position to win. While I might do things differently, I see nothing wrong with what he does...and if I were a Buckeye fan, I think I would be pleased that my coach puts such a high value on winning championships.

As far as what Tomessello would likely do if he bumped up to 141 right now? I think he MIGHT sneak in to a low AA, but probably not. There are weight classes for a reason. Remember, we're not talking about a guy growing into a higher weight, we're talking about a 133-pounder (and not a huge one) moving up to 141. I think his strength will be completely negated against the AA level guys. I think getting out on bottom will be a much bigger problem up a weight, and I think he'll lose bouts to lesser wrestlers because they're bigger than he is.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Back at you brother. All good here.

I understand your point, but I feel there are some talents that can succeed despite the weight class. & I believe NATO is one of those unique talents. Not unique as he would win it, and it would not be easy to do. But I believe he could finish top 3. I also believe a Heil NATO match would be sweet.

Any chance you can make it out Thrs???

I respect your take on it...and I assume the Ohio State faithful hope you're right. I wish Tomesello, Pletcher and the rest of the squad the best of luck.

Thursday is a definite possibility.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Mike-

Do you think pulling Pletcher out of redshirt is a bad move, or do you just think he's probably not going to do all that well as a true frosh wrestling up a weight class at 141?

If it's the latter, I think that is a completely reasonable take. While I am certainly hopeful that he sets the world on fire, even just a top 12 finish seems like a tall order for most any true freshman not wrestling at their ideal weight.

But if it's the former, then I guess I'm confused as to why you feel that way. If OSU wrestles anyone but Pletcher at 141 it seems highly likely that the weight will not qualify for nationals. And what is the point of keeping Pletcher in redshirt if he was most likely going to be nothing more than a super sub next year anyway? Now he can contribute this year, redshirt next year, and then take over 133 the year after that when Nate graduates (or go 141 if everyone grows and the bottom of the lineup has JRod at 133, Hayes at 149, and Micah at 157).

Last edited by Sean Koran on December 6, 2016; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"I would have to side with Rod on this one. Just because you get four years of him as a starter isn't always a good thing. A year up a weight could not do well for his confidence."

Unless he wins a bunch of matches. I would rather wrestle than sit if I were burning a year otherwise, especially if it results in a team title, or close thereto.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2016

Just to add to the complexity of this discussion....

Let's just say that the lineup remains for the rest of the season as J-Rod, Nate and Pletch for the first three weights.

Then, next year Pletch redshirts while J-Rod and Nate man the first two weights again. Hayes comes back and goes 141.

Now....it's two years later....and J-Rod moves up to 133.

Initially, many of us thought that J-Rod was a quality reserve while Pletcher was a future starter. But J-Rod is showing signs that he's going to be too good not to start.

What happens at that point? Does Hayes move up to 149? Micah to 157 for his senior season? And, if so, who goes 141? Pletch or J-Rod? Or is everyone locked in to current spots--let's say David Carr comes to Columbus and steps right in at 157...and we have a battle at 133 between Pletcher and J-Rod with one of them not starting?

Of course I'm assuming Tom Ryan will find a 125 by then besides the twins from Wisconsin.

Anyway...it's a good problem if it occurs.

A

Sean...it's definitely the former and not the latter.

Hank...I see your scenario as a net positive. Great teams have log jams at weights. Steele sharpens Steele and tOSU will be better for it. If Rodriguez holds the weight, great. If he doesn't, that's good too. You don't have to be a four year starter to be a great college wrestler, although I concede that "kids today" want to step in and start right away...and they're good enough to do it and beat the best. Those situations are where Coach Ryan shows what a great coach he is.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3