Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Golden Age of Buckeye Wrestling
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 15, 2016

As a Clevelander, I tell anyone that will listen to appreciate the Cleveland Cavaliers. Lebron James is arguably the greatest player in the history of the game. His presence on the floor...as long as he's even close to still being in great physical shape...makes Cleveland a title contender every year. As long as he's healthy and a Cav, every fan should have a potential champion to root for.

I feel the same way about the Wrestling Buckeyes. Logan Stieber just won a World Title. Kyle Snyder has a World Title and Olympic Gold. Both are already somewhere on the list of Greatest American Wrestlers of all time. Nate Tomasello is extraordinarily good and likely to win at least one more NCAA title. He also looks like someone who could be a force internationally. Bo Jordan has been 3rd twice. Only in this era could a returning NCAA champion, Myles Martin, seem like just another really good wrestler. I hope everyone appreciates this current version of the Buckeyes. They are a stunningly good team who suffer from the misfortune of competing at the same time as Cael Sanderson is at PSU. Only PSU stands in the way of this team and multiple titles in my opinion. And the Bucks may still win it all again.

Enjoy it. It's an amazing time to root for the premier collegiate program in the state.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on December 15, 2016

Well said! One of the most difficult things in sports is to recognize and appreciate greatness as it is happening because we want and expect it to keep happening. Its refreshing and exciting to hear our fans stress the point to really look at what those Bucks are accomplishing now. Congrats Bucks and THANK YOU!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 15, 2016

I've followed the Buckeye wrestling program since the mid-eighties. This is what I've always felt Ohio State wrestling should be. I feel like now becomes so much "easier" to maintain the level of excellence than it was to build it in the first place. Winning attracts winners. Top level athletes from Ohio and across the nation start their college decision making process with Ohio State on the short list. You're not going to win it every year, but tOSU is now in the hunt year in and year out. The down years they'll be top five. All credit should go to Coach Ryan and the staff and wrestlers he has put together. Up and down the line up they have crisp technique, they wrestle with toughness and heart and they look to score points.

I don't know where they'll finish this year. Can they win it? Absolutely. Will they? I have no clue. This year shapes up a lot like two seasons ago where there'll be several teams capable of being home the title on a hot weekend...Oklahoma State and Penn State being the main competition. As a fan of the sport, I can say NCAA wrestling is better when Ohio State is a contender.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 16, 2016

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"As a fan of the sport, I can say NCAA wrestling is better when Ohio State is a contender."

I don't really have the "fan gene" but if I did, I could see where you are coming from.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 16, 2016

I don't really have the "fan gene" either, at least not for teams. I am a fan of sport as a whole though.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 16, 2016

"I don't really have the "fan gene" either, at least not for teams. I am a fan of sport as a whole though."

I was just razzing you actually; throwing some of your verbage at you :)

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on December 17, 2016

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"I don't really have the "fan gene" either, at least not for teams. I am a fan of sport as a whole though."

I was just razzing you actually; throwing some of your verbage at you :)"

Trolling game 9/10

► Add to the Discussion