Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Motors and Offense (Pace and legitimate attacks)
Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 27, 2016

Had a conversation with my dad the other day and the thing that sticks out the most about this OSU team is that the majority of the starters push the pace of the match and have well developed offensive attacks.

Nate and Kyle are the best in this regard. Factor in that Micah, Bo, Martin, Moore are cut from the same attributes. Moore's pace may be the best of the bunch. I loved that look on his face as he came out of the locker room ready to battle Cox. It was that distinguishable look of someone that is hungry, prepared and ready to battle for a championship.

Opposite that, Jake strength lies in his position and counterattacks. I would'nt be surprised if he is going through some growing pains in an effort to increase the pace at which he wrestles while attempting to figure out better offensive strategies.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 27, 2016

Is it possible for a defensive/counter-attack wrestler to control the pace by "encouraging" the offensive wrestler to take a shot? The Russian wrestler Satiev seemed to wrestle this way, with an "inviting" open stance. I think if you are a wrestler that scores points off of counters your stance needs to be part of your setup.

Of course, if one decides to be a defensive wrestler because of lack of stamina, then that's a different matter.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 27, 2016

Bruce-

If you are Mitch Clark, then the situation you describe works.

However, it always defaults to the strongest attack. The guy who has an offense and is able to not get caught in a scramble, will win.

If a guy is just a counter attacker, then his attack is limited to what he can create off his opponent. You don't get that luxury with Nate or Kyle as their attacks are so disciplined that they are not going to get baited into a bad position or rather their respective offenses are so good they wont entertain some bullshit position.

I know that Jake's forte was counter offense and I have seen him struggle with creating attacks against high level competition. I know that pain. He needs to develop a methodical way of creating opportunities to score. If you break down what Kyle and Nate do, their tie ups and hand fighting are unique to them. I personally did a lot of the same progression as Nate. He was doing a lot of it in high school and it makes me wonder who really helped him develop it.

► Add to the Discussion