Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio U. 2016-2017
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 10, 2017

All I haven't seen much about OU on the site this year so I thought I'd add my perspective. Perhaps Brian Grimm can give us an update on Kent and their progress this season.

In general I feel positive about Ohio so far in 2017. Last year they graduated Chino, Claxton, Romanchik, Wellington, and Walters. These five were all multiple time national qualifiers and team leaders. My expectation for the season was strict rebuilding mode.

So far in duals I've been pretty happy with the results. They beat West Virginia, Buffalo, Chattanooga, and Eastern Michigan and have lost to Central Michigan, Missouri, Pitt, and Campbell. The only bad loss was to Missouri

125 Shakur Laney SO: (14-3)

Laney has been excellent specifically considering that he was not a high-profile recruit. He has several high-quality wins this season and should be a national qualifier with round of 12 potential.

133 Cam Kelly SO (11-5)

Coming off a very strong freshman campaign, Kelly has been solid but not spectacular. He placed seventh at the Midlands losing to Montoya and Earl Hall. Candidly he does not have many high quality wins. He should be and will be a national qualifier who can get hot at the right time.

141 Noah Forrider JR (17-3)

Forrider has been solid. He's the kind of guy that will win every match you expect him to win. I'm still waiting for the high profile win that will vault him into national ranking consideration. I believe he is top 30 in the nation and should be a national qualifier.

149 Kade Kowalski FR (4-7)

Kowalski is taking his lulmps as a RS freshman. I believe the potential is there for college success but the grind of the matches seems to get to him. He can improve for sure and has been adequate at 149.

157 Cullen Cummings JR (9-11)

I am bullish that Cummings is better than his record. He started the season at 49 and since moved up to 57. He is in a lot of matches against quality competition, he just needs to believe in himself to win the matches. He's the kind of kid you don't want to draw at the Mac tournament as a top seed.

165 Austin Reese SO (8-8)

I'm a huge fan of Austin Reese. I believe he has the potential to be an all American. His results so far this season have been confusing, losing matches I anticipated him winning. I have faith in him as a fan and expect him to improve in the back half of the season.

174 Asughyan SO (13-9)

Ashughyan has been solid but not spectacular. I think he will win the matches is he supposed to win.

184 several people

There's no clear-cut starter at this weight. They have tried many different faces and have varied results. In dual meets candidly they will try to avoid bonus points at 184.

197 Bailey Faust FR (11-4)

Faust has been a nice surprise. When I heard he was transferring to Ohio I looked up his redshirt results at West Virginia and was not impressed. He has out performed my expectations as a freshman and should be a national qualifier if he has a good Mac tournament.

285 Zack Parker SO (15-10)

Parker has been a real nice surprise and for me the bright spot of the team so far. He came into the program at the same time as Jesse Webb who was more heralded. Parker worked his butt off and is now the starter. He has wrestled a tough schedule at heavyweight and has some strong win including a win over 14th ranked Hutchinson last weekend. He seems to improve every time I watch him wrestle.

From a red shirt perspective Mario Guillen looks like a future starter and someone who can make a lot of noise. Nick Vestal of Dayton Christian is currently 10-7 and has wrestled well.

Greenlee had a great fall on the recruiting trail in next year's class to be one of their best.

I summary, this has been a good rebuilding year for the program. The team is young and performing better than I expected. The hope is 5 NQs who can win matches at the big dance.

Last edited by Ethan Moore on January 10, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 10, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

" For rider has been salad. "

Is this a reference to the time when one is young and inexperienced?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 10, 2017

Hahaha sorry for that. Must have auto corrected some terrrible typing.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2017

Nice recap. I've kept up with OU's results but haven't been sure what to think. Agree that Laney has been a nice surprise. Austin Reese has been a puzzle. He had a fine redshirt season and showed a lot of promise last year. He's either hit a wall...or there's another explanation. A lot of guys wrestle hurt and we're not aware of it. That's a possibility.

OU has some solid recruits coming in. I'll be anxious to see how they progress.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 10, 2017

The Bobcats are in action this Friday night at NIU.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 11, 2017

Ethan, I think the Bobcats are doing a great job with such a young team. The majority of their team are Frosh/Soph and those young guys are fighting hard. The future is bright for this team.

I've been most impressed with Shakur at 125. IMO, he gives them their best chance at an AA finish this year and has the ability/potential to do it. By my count he has 4 losses on the year: Kraisser, Sebastian Rivera, Aaron Assad, and Josh Terao.

Kraisser, a senior, is a huge 125 and obviously looking for the elusive AA finish to his career. No shame losing there. Tereo is difficult to wrestle, especially if you haven't seen him before (see his match with Gilman at Midlands). I think he is better than Aaron Assad, IMO, but it was a 16-1 TF loss. I'm not sure how to judge the Rivera loss...Rivera is a RS at Northwestern and I really don't know much about him.

The same Jimenez that just beat Jose Rodriguez 14-2, Laney beat 7-2.

With that said, I have super impressed with Shakur's development from when he was in high school to where he is now and hope he finds a way on that podium.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 14, 2017

Solid win 22-10 at NIU last night, and that's with giving Laney the night off.

Validating what I said above, Cummings beat McWhirter who was ranked in some publications.

Again I say: better than I expected after losing 5 NQs.

► Add to the Discussion