Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks vs. Illinois @ Home Sunday 2pm
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

http://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/55/ohio-state/32/illinois.

Some pretty good match ups.

#2 Nato vs. #4 Richards
#1 Bo vs. #12 Brunson
#10 Martin vs. #13 Parker

curious to see if Jose match against Wisconsin was fluke or if the one hour weigh ins are going to be an issue.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

125: #12 Jose Rodriguez vs Travis Piotrowski

JRod, currently 11-3, has really come on and impressed this season. He has nice wins over Fleetwood, Andrews, and Assad. Prior to last week’s match against Wisconsin, his only losses were 2 1-point losses to AA’s Darian Cruz and Joey Dance. An argument can be made that he should have won his match with Dance in the finals of CKLV. He then came last week when he lost to Jimenez by a score of 14-2. This was a head scratcher to me. Was it a fluke loss? Was he battling the weight cut? Or did he just get out wrestled? Maybe a combination of all 3?

Piotrowski is currently 9-7 with a runner-up finish at the UNI Open. He has nice wins over Assad and Bentley. In matches that he’s won, he’s outscored opponents 52-21 including 3 victories where his opponent didn’t score a point.

Prediction: JRod gets back on track and wins this match by decision. 3-0 Bucks

133: #2 Nathan Tomasello vs #4 Zane Richards

This is obviously the marquee match of the dual featuring 2 AA’s who are both title contenders 133lbs.
NaTo is currently 8-0 (86-5 for his career), with nice wins over Micic, Eierman, and Grey. He has 4 bonus point wins, including bonus point victories in his last 3 matches. His pace has been phenomenal, much more reminiscent of his freshman season when he won the national title.

Richards is currently 14-1 on the season (96-21 for his career). His lone loss this year was a SV loss to Montoya in the Midlands finals. He won the Kauffman Brand Open, Joe Parisi Open, and was runner-up Midlands so far this season. 10 of his 14 wins have come via bonus point.

Prediction: NaTo’s pace and strength are too much for Richards and wins this match by decision. 6-0 Bucks

141: #14 Luke Pletcher vs Mousa Jodeh

Pletcher, new to 141, is showing improvement since making the weight class jump. Pletcher is currently 18-2 on the season, however the bulk of his wins were at 133. He failed to place at Midlands after suffering losses to Kolodzik and Storr. He’s coming of a solid win over Cole Martin (Wisconsin) that got him back in the rankings. It should be noted that Pletcher has scored first in 15 of his 20 matches wrestled this season.

Jodeh is currently 9-9 on the season with his lone marquee win being a 1-0 victory over Synon at the Kauffman Brand Open, where he finished 3rd.

Prediction: Pletcher already scored a major decision victory of Jodeh at Midlands winning by a score of 12-3. I expect the same result again. 10-0 Bucks

149: #5 Micah Jordan vs Eric Barone

Micah is on a roll this year with a perfect 20-0 record (77-7 for his career). He leads the team in wins, tech falls, and is tied for second in falls. He has nice wins over returning AA, Justin Oliver (2x’s) and another nice win over Patricio Lugo. He’s on a roll this year and wrestling better than we’ve seen from him in a long time.

Barone is currently 3-3. Not a lot to say about him other than he did have a nice win over Anthony Giraldo (Rutgers).

Prediction: Micah is just too much for Barone and gets the fall. 16-0 Bucks

157: Jake Ryan vs Kyle Langenderfer

We are all aware of Ryan (9-7) and his struggles this year. Many of us, myself included, thought he was a round of 12/bubble AA guy coming into the season, however now you have to wonder if he isn’t a bubble qualifier. The problem with Ryan has been closing matches out. He has scored first in 11 of his 16 matches but in many of his matches, he fades away as the match goes on. Recently he went to the CSU Open and registered 4 victories and then followed that up with a win in the Northwestern dual. However, last weekend he lost a head scratcher to T.J. Ruschell of Wisconsin, 6-2. This is the same guy that Ryan dominated twice last year. You have to wonder if he is outgrowing the weight class.

Langenderfer is a bit of an enigma. He is currently 13-4 on the season with a 3rd place finish at Kauffman Brand, 1st place finish at Joe Parisi Open, and went 2-2 at Midlands. In the 2014-2015 season, Langenderfer was 22-15 and took 3rd in the BIG10 at 149. Then last year he was 7-14 at 149. It looks like he may be back to his 2014-2015 form and this isn’t good for Ryan. He’s coming of a major decision win against Maryland last week.

Prediction: The Illini get on the board here as I see Langenderfer winning by decision in this match. 16-3 Bucks

165: Cody Burcher vs #1 Isaiah Martinez

Burcher is 5th on the team in wins with a 13-6 record on the season. He’s done an admirable job this year with a nice wins over Keilan Torres and Johnny Sebastian. More impressive though is how he handles matches against the top ranked competitors in his weight class. He has close losses to Valencia (4-3 and 5-3) and held Daniel Lewis and Isaac Jordan to a decision as well.

IMar…what can we say. 2 national championships in 2 tries and is on pace to become only 5th 4x NCAA champ in history. He has 1 loss in 2 years, to Jason Nolf, who later avenged….twice. He is currently 14-0 on the season with championships at the UNI Open and Midlands. He’s beaten returning AA’s Daniel Lewis and Chad Walsh with another nice win over Anthony Valencia. He has scored bonus in all his matches except one, a 10-6 decision over Walsh.

Prediction: Burcher has been able to keep it close with a lot good guys, but I see IMar picking up the major decision here. 16-7 Bucks

174: #1 Bo Jordan vs #12 Zac Brunson

After missing a good chunk of the season, BoJo is back on the mat and currently sporting an 8-0 record. 3 of those victories are by fall, 3 more by technical fall, and the remaining 2 by major decision. Twice 3rd at the national tournament, this looks to be Bo’s first real test of the season. Bo is looking good this year, still getting his timing back, but he looks to have that horse power we saw from him his freshman year.

Brunson is 19-3 on the season with a title at the Kauffman Brand and 3rd place finishes at the UNI Open and Midlands. He’s got nice wins over Alex Meyer, Ryan Christensen, and David Kocer with his only losses coming to Jacobe Smith (redshirt at Okie St.) and then to ranked foes Zahid Valencia and Taylor Lujan. Brunson was also a BIG10 runner-up last year and is still looking for that elusive AA finish at NCAA’s.

Prediction: BoJo continues to prove that he is the top dog at 174 in the BIG10 and picks up the victory here by decision. 19-7 Bucks

184: #10 Myles Martin vs #13 Emery Parker

Myles Martin, coming off a national title at 174 last year, is currently 18-3 at 184 this year. His only losses have come at the hands of Zack Zavatsky (2016 ACC Champ) and 2 former AA’s in Jack Dechow and Pete Renda. Martin is currently 2nd on the team in wins, falls; tech falls, and leads the team in major decisions. Expectations are high for Martin this year and rightfully so. Aside from a uncharacteristic performance by his standards at Midlands, he has competed quite well thus far at 184. This includes a 22-7 tech fall over 11th ranked Steven Schneider at the CKLV.

Emery Parker…who is this guy is what I found myself asking after noticed him in the rankings. He is currently 18-3, ranked 13th in the country, and coming off a very nice win over 14th ranked Nicholas Gravina of Rutgers. This year he has managed to finish 1st at the Kauffman Brands Open and the UNI Open, and 3rd at the Joe Parisi Open. Recently he went 2-2 at Midlands.

Prediction: Call it hunch but I like Myles Martin to make a statement in this match on his home mat. Martin by the major decision. 23-7 Bucks

197: #5 Kollin Moore vs Andre Lee

News flash…Kollin Moore is good. Real good. Oh, and he’s exciting to watch because he loves to score. Moore is currently 17-2 on the season which puts him 4th on the team in wins. He’s also 4th in tech falls, 2nd in major decisions, and 2nd in falls. He has shown he can take down anyone in the country as we saw when he scored takedowns against Pfarr and multiple takedowns against Cox. He has nice wins over Jake Smith and Ricky Robertson and had #1 ranked J’Den Cox on the ropes before losing a close match 6-4.

Andre Lee is 7-7 on the season with no real signature wins. He did finish 2nd at Kauffman Brand and 3rd at the Joe Parisi Open.

Prediction: Moore all day and by bonus, but how much bonus? Lee has only been pinned in one match this year…..let’s make it 2. Moore by the pin. 29-7 Bucks

285: Josh Fox vs Deuce Rachal (Not sure if we will see either starter as Snyder has been at a training camp at the OTC I believe and Brooks Black has been out since the Midlands)

Fox has been filling in for Snyder when Snyder doesn’t compete and has amassed a 4-10 record. He fights hard and gives it his all when he called upon; even though it is evident he is normally outsized and outmatched.

Rachal has been filling for Brooks Black the last couple of weeks. He is currently 5-6 on the season with all his wins at the Kauffman Brand Open. He went 0-2 at Midlands and most recently lost his dual match against Rutgers 3-1.

Prediction: This is all assuming that Snyder and Black are not wrestling. I look for Fox to go out on his home mat and get the job done against Rachal, winning by decision.

Final Score: 32-7 Bucks

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

Well done, Brandon! Will return.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

Brandon: Good synopsis.

I've always felt that Illinois is sort of a poor man's Ohio State. They've often had at least one incredible stud in the lineup plus several AA candidates. Lots of injuries over the years have really hurt them. And they don't seem to recruit at the level of the top tier programs...which is surprising since Illinois has great hs wrestling.

Langerfelder...if memory serves...pinned Hunter when he tried to wrestle with two broken elbows.

I have to wonder if St Ed legend Jim Heffernan, the Illini head coach, will remain much longer. Mark Perry seems to be the face of the program and one wonders what he might do if he were put completely in charge.

Bottom line on Illinois is that it reminds me a bit of Ohio State before Tom Ryan came in and made it a top tier program.

If you guys are interested, here's the full preview I wrote of this weeks Ohio State v Illinois match...the guys at bloodround wrestling were kind enough to put on their site.

http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2017/1/12/ohio-state-vs-illinois-breakdown

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

I do believe Kyle Snyder will be taking the mat on Sunday. Ryan said it in a video preview of the Illinois match and the OSU website also has him listed. I think I'll go out on a limb and pick him to win, no matter who Illinois puts on the mat!
PS: yeah Hank, Langerfelder was the kid who pinned Hunter at the Big Tens. It was painful to watch and I kept thinking how very, very different that match would have been had Hunter been 100%.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 12, 2017

I believe coach Ryan said Snyder is wrestling.

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I believe coach Ryan said Snyder is wrestling."

Guess I missed that one...oh well. On the bright side, looking forward to getting to see him in action.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Brandon: one thing you missed is that Snyder, according to Tom Ryan, is most likely wrestling.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Quote from Brandon Olinger's post:

"

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I believe coach Ryan said Snyder is wrestling."

Guess I missed that one...oh well. On the bright side, looking forward to getting to see him in action."

Right on. Too bad if Black can't go tho. Not much fun seeing Snyder vs their backup. Hopefully Black will wrestle.
Tomasello vs. Richards will be worth the price of admission alone!

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Brandon: I've got this fourth (or fifth, let me count the above posts) hand, but it sounds like Kyle Snyder may be wrestling. :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Is Snyder wrestling? ;)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Tee-hee.

We joke because we love.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 13, 2017

Got a room full of funny guys, eh?!?! Well, I just happen to like funny. :)

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on January 15, 2017

Couldn't make it out today, anyone able to post updates?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next