Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kent
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2017

A perennial top 25 program appears to be closer to the bottom of D1 at the moment. Last night's duals:

Virginia Tech 42 Kent 3
Lock Haven 32 Kent 10
Campbell 26 Kent 16

I realize Tutolo didn't wrestle but that doesn't explain getting spanked by Lock Haven and losing to Campbell. Didn't Kent upset Mizzou just a few years ago? The bottom has apparently fallen out. Prized rookies Beard and Harris are no longer on the team. And there are a lot of young wrestlers on the roster but they don't have the background of high level success one might associate with a quick turnaround. I think Kent's strategy of taking unheralded wrestlers and coaching them up has run aground but that's opinion.

Jim Andrassy has accomplished a lot and deserves all benefits of the doubt at the moment. But this team is probably two years away from being competitive. And they really need to land better recruits. I know they're not the Buckeyes but a MAC team with a history of success and full funding should be able to bring in better talent.

I'm sure there are folks out there who understand the situation more intimately and can correct some of my assumptions. I'm all ears.

And, FWIW, CSU, after a nice little uptick for a few years, has slid back down as well.

I just think Ohio D1 programs should be better than this.

And don't get me started on why a state with eight D3 programs isn't more competitive at that level. BW is the only team in the top 20 and they have no ranked wrestlers.

Done griping. Have a great day.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Just for kicks, I looked at Kent's roster to see how many wrestlers had won state titles. Answer--Tutolo and Sparkman. That's two. And they're arguably the best wrestlers on the team. As a coach, you can look for a couple "diamonds in the rough." But they shouldn't comprise most of your roster. Not in D1 anyway.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 14, 2017

What happened to Beard and Harris?

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"What happened to Beard and Harris?"

Don't know.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 14, 2017

Can Conel wrestle this year? Thought he was back on the roster.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Can Conel wrestle this year? Thought he was back on the roster."

He's not listed either.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 15, 2017

Otterbein (D-III) is a first year program but I like them. Currently 9-1 in dual meets...looking forward to see how they end this year and what the future holds.

As for Kent...I'm sure coach A is away of these points and he, too, would like to overcome them. As a wrestling fan, I would like to see a resurgence as well. Same for OU and CSU!!

Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 15, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
And don't get me started on why a state with eight D3 programs isn't more competitive at that level. BW is the only team in the top 20 and they have no ranked wrestlers.

Done griping. Have a great day."

Hank, I encourage you to look at previous years results. Mount Union, John Carroll, Ohio Northern, Heidelberg and Mount Union have all had success on the national level since around 2010. It is hard to win team national championships when your operating budget isn't even close to that of Wartburg or Augsburg.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2017

Jason: That's why I post. So someone can give me info. I have noticed Otterbein as they do a great job keeping everyone aware via social media. Mark Hawald is at JCU and it seems only a matter of time before they break thru based on his past accomplishments. Jamie Gibbs has done a solid job at BW. But from a national perspective. Ohio just seems to be behind what one might expect from a top hs wrestling state.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on January 16, 2017

Hank, I can agree with that. A major difference that I see coaching in Wisconsin is that better high school wrestlers in Illinois and Wisconsin wrestle at the D3 level than in Ohio. I am not sure why that is. There are quite a few state champions wrestling in the WIAC conference right now. I know the OAC has a couple (Macllelan from CVCA at BW and Kasper from Lexington at Otterbein), but I don't know of any others and when I was helping out at Heidelberg it was really hard to get state champs or top four finishers to even come on campus.

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on January 16, 2017

Where to begin? After its best season since the 1980s, this year may be the least successful of the 15 KSU seasons that I've followed.

Recruiting - the past 3 classes have not been very strong. Changes in the coaching staff have not been helpful.

Injuries - Tutolo, Sparkman and James have all been hurt for significant amount of time. As the top 3 on the roster, their absences are especially painful.

Youth - There are no seniors and only a handful of juniors.

Inconsistency - As individuals and as a team, the results have been all over the map.

Attrition - The roster was at 33, but is now at 22. Conel is off of the roster again.

I don't know why Beard and Harris left or why Conel left again. This is going to be a tough year and it may take a couple of seasons for them to bounce back.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

MAC standings: http://mac-sports.com/index.aspx?path=wrestling

► Add to the Discussion