Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Randomness: Your Thoughts?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Concerned about Bo Jordan. He has an ongoing issue with his toe and it's serious enough that he has missed more than half the season. No matter how talented you are, it's tough to be ready for top competition when you haven't been able to train.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Ordered my Big Ten tickets yesterday!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 17, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"1. Yes, Suriano can beat Gilman but Gilman is on a role this year. He is dismantling good D1 competition. I wouldn't bet on Suriano.

2. Yes, I believe NATO is the best 133lbs in the country. The move up to 133 has really helped his style. He is a relentless attacker but lost a bit of that last year because of the weight cut (imo). He looks much more like freshman NCAA Champ NATO to me this year.

3. Yes, Micah can make the finals. If you look at common opponents by transitive property, Micah beat J. Oliver from CMU twice by pretty big scores. Sorensen needed overtime to win.

4. Massa has experienced success at all age levels. He isn't used to losing. That's why he believes he can win. And, he can. But, like at 125, I wouldn't bet on it. Imar is extraordinary in all positions.

5. Yes, you should be concerned about BoJo v. Valencia. Valencia is a wizard on his feet - attacking all different areas of the body with precision. BoJo has given up offensive points this year to wrestlers far inferior to Valencia.

6. Dean probably wins but I will nto count Nicakl out of any match. He goes big - both to his advantage and peril.

7. You hear it everywhere - Penn State kids love to wrestle for Penn State and Coach Sanderson. He is doing everything right. That's why elite kids are likely taking less money to wrestle for him.

8. I do not think Moore can beat J'Den or Pfarr. I do think he is in the hunt for #3 and should finish no lower than 6. However, the bright lights can intimidate young wrestlers. I still love his chances to AA.

9. I think Heil will repeat but his margin for error at the NCAA tournament will be thin. His matches from the 1/4 finals on (if not before) will likely be very tight. That's just the nature of his style.

10. I think Bo beats Myles in the room but that is pure speculation.

11. I am exctied for B1Gs as well. Brandon and I will be there. Just got our tickets in tOSU section today!"

#3) God bless the transitive property!

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 18, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

" If Collica can make the finals, then I feel like Jordan can too. Am I wrong on that? "

One thing I am sure of is that at the NCAA's I would not want be the 4th or 5th seeded wrestler at 149.

Mayes is wrestling Collica on the 27th and Micah might wrestle Sorenson at the dual and at the Big Ten tournament. If Micah can manage to get a 2 or 3 seeding at nationals by moving ahead of at least 2 of the 4 wrestlers ahead of him in the rankings, then that would be beneficial.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 18, 2017

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

" If Collica can make the finals, then I feel like Jordan can too. Am I wrong on that? "

One thing I am sure of is that at the NCAA's I would not want be the 4th or 5th seeded wrestler at 149.

Mayes is wrestling Collica on the 27th and Micah might wrestle Sorenson at the dual and at the Big Ten tournament. If Micah can manage to get a 2 or 3 seeding at nationals by moving ahead of at least 2 of the 4 wrestlers ahead of him in the rankings, then that would be beneficial."

Very good point. I'd rather be the 6 seed than the 4/5. Anything to avoid Zain.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 18, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"Very good point. I'd rather be the 6 seed than the 4/5. Anything to avoid Zain."

This could be huge in terms of placement points and what they could mean for the team race.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on January 18, 2017

1. Suriano may be one of the best true freshman we have seen in a long time. Definitely one of the best true freshman 125's. I have no doubt that he will win multiple titles. With that said, #VillainGilman is wrestling at a level we haven't seen from him before. He is a man possessed in search of that elusive NCAA title. Now, they will most likely have to wrestle 3 times this year and it's hard to beat anyone as good as Suriano 3 times. But if I was a betting man, I'd bet on Gilman.

2. Tomasello is amazing. He looks like the Tomasello from his freshman season with relentless pressure and attacks. Yes, we should all believe NaTo beats Clark.

3. I would not want to ever have Z-Pain put his hands on me.

4. Yes. Micah can make the finals. He's wrestling superbly and has developed a nice top game to go with his great offense on his feet. Seeding will be critical. Must win over Sorensen.

5. Watch Massa in his matches and you will see someone who wrestles with such remarkable composure. This was very evident in his matches at CKLV against Valenica and I. Jordan. I too believe that he can beat IMar and just like 125, they could see each other 3 times. IMar however, is a rare breed and will not make it easy. Odds say that IMar will win, but I don't think it's way off to believe that Massa can get him.

6. What weight class is toughest? Depends on how you look at it. In B1G10 125 (4 of top 10), 133 (5 of top 10), 157 (4 of top 10), 165 (4 of top 10), 184 (5 of top 10), and 285 (5 of top 10) are all pretty deep. However toughest weight class overall, I'd have to say is 184 with 141 behind it due to it's depth.

7. I'm on record as saying Valencia is the best 174 in the country and is my pick to win the championship. I love BoJo but Valencia can take down anyone in the country and is pretty good on top too. I also don't see him getting turned. So yes...be concerned.

8. Dean all day, every day but right now Nickal has proven himself to be second best. I too think MyMar continues to build momentum and places high but watch out for Sammy Brooks. Another guy who is having a really really good season (see his major decision over Boyd).

9. Nolf and Nickal are great to watch...I'd throw IMar into that mix as well.

10. PSU guys appear as if they love wrestling and you hardly ever see them out. It's almost like they have a friendly competition between teammates who can win the most matches, score the most points, be the most dominant. Cael is doing amazing things and it's great for the sport. Other programs have to work hard to keep up.

11. Kollin Moore's offense can match that of anyone at that weight class. I do believe he needs to continue to work on his defense as there have been times it appears he gave up a little to early and his opponent scored.

12. Can't wait for B1G's & NCAA's. This is my favorite time of the year!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 19, 2017

PSU starting 133 Cortez is out for the year with an injury so how does this affect the team race and will this cause them to pull Hall RS?

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 19, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"PSU starting 133 Cortez is out for the year with an injury so how does this affect the team race and will this cause them to pull Hall RS?"

I do not think it has major team race implications. He was not wrestling very well before he was injured and most of the prognosticators didn't have him scoring many points at NCAAs.

PSU has 3 guys that can easily score over 20 points at the NCAA tournament even without winning the title. Add in Suriano who may also be able to do so along with Vincenzo, McCuttchen (at a weak weight), and Nevills and I think you have enough points to win the title. That's without former all-american Guilibon scoring any points and PSU receiving no points from 174. I think both weights will score some points at the NCAA tournament.

Maybe, i'm wrong and they pull Hall's redshirt. For a few reasons, I hope not.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 19, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"PSU starting 133 Cortez is out for the year with an injury so how does this affect the team race and will this cause them to pull Hall RS?"

I don't know that Cortez was going to score much at the tourney...maybe a couple of points. So pulling Hall's red-shirt doesn't make sense to me (but it never does). One thing that DOES jump out at me is the possibility of moving Jimmy Gulibon back down to 133. He was significantly more successful at the lower weight earlier in his career.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

While I agree with most of the views expressed so far, there was one that jumped out at me that I wanted to go on record as disagreeing with before they wrestle tonight. Having seen Kemerer a number of times this season, I don't think he's in the same universe as Nolf. I will be very surprised if Nolf doesn't win by bonus, even with the match at Iowa.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

Steve:
I'm with you.
Kemmerer is very good, obviously; but I don't see him pushing Nolf.
Of course channeling Michael Rodriguez, I've been wrong before. :-)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2017

Quote from Steve Durose's post:

"While I agree with most of the views expressed so far, there was one that jumped out at me that I wanted to go on record as disagreeing with before they wrestle tonight. Having seen Kemerer a number of times this season, I don't think he's in the same universe as Nolf. I will be very surprised if Nolf doesn't win by bonus, even with the match at Iowa."

I'd say you were mostly correct. Kemmerer did a very nice job slowing down Nolf in the first period but he was unable to keep the pace. Nolf was picking him apart by the third period.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZOwrQxn0Cw

I saw an interview with Bo Nickal in which he said something like, "Yeah, that's a move I've been doing since I was a kid..."

I'm really enjoying watching him and Nolf; is "intuitive technique" an oxymoron? :)

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 5, 2017

I sure do enjoy watching Suriano and would still like to see him beat Gilman.

Micah went all out...and Zain reveled in whipping him.

There is the Iowa Style and the PSU Culture; I'll take the later every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

(And as an aside, Snyder's spirit and intent very much resembles that of the PSU wrestlers.)

Who do you like to watch more: Nolf or Nickal? At the start of the season it was Nickal, but I've transitioned to Nolf.

I have to admit that at this point I think Hall will beat BoJo on lungs and a treacherous act of scrambling.

Pletcher is a highlight of the season for me.

I miss Sammy's mullet. No Joke.

I'm a big fan of MyMar. Nickal seems to have made some restraint improvements, though.

Like SAC Kornblut, I just don't understand why tOSU room isn't teeming with depth.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next