Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks vs. PSU
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

I know its a few weeks out but the Iowa vs. PSU dual got me thinking about it.

125 Suriano md Jose - Only way I see this being kept to a dec. is if the dual starts at 133 so he gets a little extra recovery time
133 Nato has to at least major who ever PSU puts out here if not tech or pin
141 Because its a home dual I'm going with Pletcher and probably in the minority here.
149 Zain by dec.
157 Nolf by tech or pin
165 PSU by dec. but wouldn't shock me if Burcher won here
174 Bo by dec. (Could Hall's RS be pulled?) I doubt it but would be awesome
184 Bo by dec. but not a shock if Myles wins.
197 Moore by dec.
285. Snyder might need major if not tech or pin to win this dual

PSU favorite

OSU favorite

I think PSU wins a close one.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"...

PSU favorite

OSU favorite

I think PSU wins a close one."

I think it goes exactly that way. I'm not sure how that ends up a "close one". I assume Snyder gets bonus, Tomesello too. Penn State gets bonus at 125, 149 (maybe???) and 157. So if it's 6-4 in bouts and the bonus is about even, how's it close?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"...

PSU favorite

OSU favorite

I think PSU wins a close one."

I think it goes exactly that way. I'm not sure how that ends up a "close one". I assume Snyder gets bonus, Tomesello too. Penn State gets bonus at 125, 149 (maybe???) and 157. So if it's 6-4 in bouts and the bonus is about even, how's it close?"

Its close because even thou I said PSU is favorite at 141 I think OSU wins and I think Micah can keep it to a dec.

125 PSU MD 4-0
133 OSU MD 4-4 (Depending on who they put out could be a tech or pin)
141 OSU D 4-7
149 PSU D 7-7 (Could be a MD)
157 PSU TF 12-7 (Could be a pin)
165 PSU D 15-7
174 OSU D 15-10
184 PSU D 18-10
197 OSU D 18-13
285. OSU MD 18-17

PSU wins 18-17 and I think 1 pt is close. Now I doubt it plays out this way but who knows.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

Pletcher will be an underdog but not a big one. Gulibon is a bit unpredictable. He's a good rider so one key will be taking away that leg lace he uses to help hold down his opponent.

Someone whispered in my ear that J-Rod's biggest problem is the weight cut. He needs a longer recovery time. A "healthy" J-Rod could certainly battle Suriano. A weak one is in big trouble.

MM knows what's coming vs Nickal but key will be to match Bo's intensity. Is there a revenge factor here that will motivate Nickal? Conversely, a win over Nickal would be a huge boost to Myles and re-establish him in the minds of the wrestling public as a title contender.

Bo Jordan has a history of struggling with PSU opponents--if he wrestles.

Snyder (if he wrestles) and Nate are your sure things. Rest of the weights will be battles though I like Moore at 197 as well.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

I'm travelling to Columbus from PA to see that dual meet. It will be my last Buckeye wrestling meet before I move to Montana. It's too bad it's at the Schott instead of Saint John Arena. I like how close to the action you can get. Either way, it's going to be awesome!

Go Bucks!!

Ben Watson added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

I'm sure I will dive into this match a bit more as it gets closer but my preliminary prediction is 20-17 PSU

125: PSU 4
133: OSU 4
141: OSU 3
149: PSU 4
157: PSU 6
165: PSU 3
174: OSU 3
184: PSU 3
197: OSU 3
285: OSU 4

That's a 5-5 split with bonus points making the difference. OSU has a realistic path to win this dual if they can limit bonus points and pick up a few as well.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

125- Penn State by major
133- Nato with the fall
141- Senior over true freshman dec
149- Who doesn't give up bonus vs Z Train 4 or 6
157- major or pin Nolf
165- major for Vinzo
174- major for Bo
184- Nickel by dec
197- Moore by dec
285- Snyder by major
PSU 22- Osu 17 if Nolf and Zain don't get the fall.

OSU loses the dual 4 matches to 6. However, PSU will get bonus points from their 125, 149, 157, and 165. I can't see Jordan holding Z Train to a regular decision. Jordan is an immense talent but Z Train will be an all-time great. I think asking a young stud like Pletcher to beat an inconsistent former AA senior is a tall task but possible.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

How has the dual with Iowa changed how you feel about this dual?

125 - PSU by MD 0-4
133 - Bucks by MD 4-4
141 - Bucks by Dec. 7-4
149 - PSU by MD 7-8 I originally thought PSU by Dec. but since Micah can't off bottom this could lead to a major.
157 - PSU tech 7-13 - Wouldn't shock me if PSU pins here.
165 - PSU by Dec. 7-16 I thought Burcher had a chance but after Iowa dual I don't see it happening. He has kept everyone not named Martinez to a dec.
174 - Bucks by Dec. 10-16
184 - PSU by Dec. 10-19 Myles has always wrestled Bo tough except for 1 match
197 - Bucks by Dec. 13-19 Would not shock me if Moore wins by Major.
285. - Bucks by TF 18-19

PSU wins 19-18

Known the struggles Jose has with weight could Ryan push for the dual to start at 133?

141-174 obvious swing matches and if Bucks L at 141 then I think Dual is over.

http://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/55/ohio-state/60/penn-state

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

Ohio State 60, Penn State -1

Go Buckeyes!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

IMO, the Bucs need a perfect storm. Wins at 133, 174, 197 & 285, with bonus points in 3 of the 4 matches. The key swing match has to be 141. Senior vs freshman. Gulibon the better rider, but I like Luke on his feet. Both have decent gas tanks, so I look for a close one.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Personally, I'm less interested in the outcome of this dual than I am in just seeing more effort out of Ohio State. Last Friday was the first time all season I felt disappointed as a fan of this team. Too many guys just failed to battle. Win or lose---wrestle hard. Leave it on the mat. Give the crowd a reason to cheer for the team.

You can always take pride in giving it your all.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Personally, I'm less interested in the outcome of this dual than I am in just seeing more effort out of Ohio State. Last Friday was the first time all season I felt disappointed as a fan of this team. Too many guys just failed to battle. Win or lose---wrestle hard. Leave it on the mat. Give the crowd a reason to cheer for the team.

You can always take pride in giving it your all."

I agree I want to see effort and non stop action from Bucks.

PSU forums are talking major at 141 and 165 and I just don't see it. Some also think Nick N. can keep it close with Snyder.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Gulibon is match manager. He's not the type to try and score a lot even if he's in control.

Burcher looked disinterested against Iowa. Earlier in the season, he wins that match. Not sure what to expect vs a tough Joseph.

If by close, the PSU faithful mean a major decision then it's possible Nevills will keep it close.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Ok, the more I think about it, the more I think it goes 5-5. 133, 141, 174, 197 and heavyweight to tOSU. 125, 149, 157, 165 and 184 to PSU. I think 125 and 157 are five or six points for Penn State. I don't see either Buckeye holding their Penn State counterpart to major or less. I do, however see Jordan/Retherford as a regular decision.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm not more bullish on the Ohio State stars bonusing at 133 and 285? Tomesello was less than spectacular against Iowa, but he was expecting Clark. He knows what the Buckeyes need from him. I guess I think it's more likely a major than a tech. When it comes to Nevills and Snyder, I'm torn between thinking Nevills may fit the same mold as Coon last year...big enough and good enough to keep it to a major decision. But then I also see the distinct possibility that Snyder has gotten even better and Nevills isn't as good as Coon. So, this one is between four and six. I think I'm leaning five. Think about that, Snyder is a techfall better than the #3 guy in his weight. Unreal. (Btw, am I the only one who wants to see Snyder and Jacob Kasper go at it? I'd love to see Snyder work on an athletic college wrestler without the size difference.)

So, under this scenario it would be a one or two point win for Penn State.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Gulibon is wrestling better than earlier in the season, but I still believe Pletcher beats him.

And, I believe Myles can beat Bo again.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next