Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks vs. PSU
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

It was a reality check the bucks aren't good as PSU,Okt,and Iowa. We have to many holes in are lineup. In front of a record crowd we didnt provide a very good product.We wrestled more aggressive earlier in the season hopefully we can get back to that place come march. A good challenge still to come will be against Nebraska.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Tough night for Bucks. Huge crowd was fun. Moore looked like he hurt his knee. Snyder was dominant as always. The other guys competed, Penn State is just a class above right now.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

125- We are in trouble. Four weeks ago I was on the AA Train. Now, I don't know if we even qualify this weight for the NCAA's.
133- Nate is a finalist
141- Pletcher is darn good. Just think what he would have been at 133 with a redshirt year under his belt.
149- Micah is good. 4th through 7th place kind of good.
157- I would rather not go here...
165- Burcher has done an admirable job but he is not the answer here.
174- Very disappointed BoJo couldn't/didn't go tonight. Enough said.
184- Myles is good. 3rd through 5th kind of good but he's a 174 pounder.
197- Kollin has been a bright spot on this team. I knew he would be.
285- He made the #3 guy in the nation look silly tonight. Wonder if Kasper regrets calling him out?

How different the outcome tonight if our lineup would have been:
125- Nate
133- Pletcher
141- Hayes
149- Micah
157- Ryan
165- White
174- BoJo
184- Martin
197- Moore
285- Snyder

Steve Durose added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"It was a reality check the bucks aren't good as PSU,Okt,and Iowa. We have to many holes in are lineup. In front of a record crowd we didnt provide a very good product.We wrestled more aggressive earlier in the season hopefully we can get back to that place come march. A good challenge still to come will be against Nebraska."

Nonsense. First of all, no one is as good as PSU. They're going to win the national title going away. This year, next year, and the year after that.
Oklahoma St. might be better this year but if we're healthy I bet it's close. They have four senior starters. We have zero. This is their year and we still might beat them at nationals.
" Not as good as Iowa"? Are you basing this on a January dual at CHA with their refs? A dual we still would have won if our 285 wasn't busy winning the Yarygin? I'll just have to respectfully disagree here.I not only think we're better than Iowa, I don't think its all that close.
As far as Ohio State not "providing a good product", I guess we'll just have to disagree again. Here's what I saw; Nate by tech, Kyle by tech over #3 in the nation, freshman 197 beating #9 in the nation, 2 backups giving it their all against J. Nolf and M. Hall, Micah forcing the early action against one of the best 149s of all time and predictably coming up short, and Myles wrestling Nickal closer than anyone in the country has this year.
Penn St. is a monster that is going to roll over everyone this year. Ohio State is ,at worst, the third best team in the country this year. If, in your opinion, that's " not a good product", then so be it. I just disagree.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:
141- Pletcher is darn good. Just think what he would have been at 133 with a redshirt year under his belt.

Riding the pine behind Nate?

Quote from Steve Durose's post:

"Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

Riding the pine behind Nate?"

I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be starting this year at 141. Obviously, in light of Hayes' injury, he should. I'm merely saying that in another year or two and in the optimal weight class this kid could be a finalist.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

We will agree to disagree. Ohio State didn't wrestle good tonight at home in front of a record crowd. You can try to spin reality as much as you like. We won 3 out of 10 matches. Iowa is just as good OSU in a dual or tournament setting. I wouldn't consider PSU having the ability to destroy OKST in anyway. OKST has a legitimate chance for 10 AA with 0 holes in their lineup.

OKST PSU
125-piccininni Suriano
133-Brock Carpenter
141-Heil Guilibon
149-Collica Z-Train
157-Smith Nolf
165-Rodgers joseph
174-Crutchmer hall
184-Boyd Nickel
197-Weigel McClutcheon
285-Schafer Nevills

It looks like a good dual or national tournament in my opinion.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

I love the buckeyes.....but an obvious difference between us and Iowa is they can run out a backup and he holds our national champ to a descion! We are giving up bonus points at 3 weight classes to the teams we hope to compete with. Having side that PSU is absolutely loaded.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

You can always try to find the silver lining in everything, but what I saw tonight, aside from the defeat, was a passive team, who is terrible on bottom! I hate watching wrestling when a man is not being aggressive. J-Rod, Burcher, Platcher (for the most part), seem to refuse to attack and move forward. I will say that Micah and Myles forced the action, they were just outmatched.

Add in Ryan who is as defensive as it gets, and Bo who seems to only attack when needed, and you have a pretty boring team to watch (or at least part of a team).

NaTo and Snyder, however, are worth the price of admission, and Moore is becoming a "Penn State-esque" wrestler that is always looking to score points. That is the kind of wrestling I love to watch!

In addition, in front of a record crowd, with his team getting their butts kicked, Bo needs to be on the mat. Period!

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"You can always try to find the silver lining in everything, but what I saw tonight, aside from the defeat, was a passive team, who is terrible on bottom! I hate watching wrestling when a man is not being aggressive. J-Rod, Burcher, Platcher (for the most part), seem to refuse to attack and move forward. I will say that Micah and Myles forced the action, they were just outmatched.

Add in Ryan who is as defensive as it gets, and Bo who seems to only attack when needed, and you have a pretty boring team to watch (or at least part of a team).

NaTo and Snyder, however, are worth the price of admission, and Moore is becoming a "Penn State-esque" wrestler that is always looking to score points. That is the kind of wrestling I love to watch!

In addition, in front of a record crowd, with his team getting their butts kicked, Bo needs to be on the mat. Period!"

Agreed

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I love the buckeyes.....but an obvious difference between us and Iowa is they can run out a backup and he holds our national champ to a descion! We are giving up bonus points at 3 weight classes to the teams we hope to compete with. Having side that PSU is absolutely loaded."

You mean like the backup PSU put out against Nate

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

This was an epic butt kicking in front of the largest crowd in Ohio State history. It was embarrassing not merely because they lost but because the team was overwhelmed at too many weights. Bucks remain a team that lacks depth. Add in the regression of J-Rod, Burcher and Ryan and you can see why an NCAA title is not in the cards for this group. For all the talk about having two world champs in the room, why this team can't convince more solid kids to come and compete is something I don't understand.

Bucks really need to figure out how to attract and better develop talent in the way we see at other top programs. I've always harped on this but take a look at the Bucks roster. It's filled with guys who never compete. How do you get better if you're not entering opens and getting in 25-30 matches per season? I don't understand the point in anyone being in that room if they're not hell bent on becoming an All American.

I liked this team a lot for a good portion of this season but they've declined since Big Ten duals began. Maybe they can regroup but for now it looks like a seven man squad: Nate, Luke, Micah, Bo, Myles, Moore and Snyder.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

The Bucks definitely struggle on bottom for the most part. It isn't a good look.

And on the feet they seem so passive, mostly, excepting NATO, Moore, Snyder.

Not too many of them seem to ride very well either.

Rosselli is missed IMHO.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 4, 2017

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"I love the buckeyes.....but an obvious difference between us and Iowa is they can run out a backup and he holds our national champ to a descion! We are giving up bonus points at 3 weight classes to the teams we hope to compete with. Having side that PSU is absolutely loaded."

You mean like the backup PSU put out against Nate

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next