Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Mark Hall
Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

He just won his wrestle off. I think Psu is going to pull his red shirt tonight against Iowa. All Bets Are off!

Last edited by Chris Thomas on January 21, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

Looking forward to the dual tonight on BTN. Some great matchups, esp. 125, 149, 184 & 285.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2017

https://youtu.be/V8GqxheOX9s

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 21, 2017

They pulled his RS and he got beat by Meyer tonight. Hall's not the biggest 174, and he doesn't have the muscle yet to match some of the upper classmen, but he is slick.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2017

That's two losses for Hall this season...but he dominates at the Scuffle. Meyer wrestled very well. You could tell the Hawks were up for the match. Closer dual than final score would indicate.

If Hall had come to Ohio State it's a near certainty that Tom Ryan would have had him all season at 165 with Burcher the likely 157. Would have been intriguing.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 21, 2017

Carver Hawkeye Arena is the single greatest home court advantage in all of sports. Lambeau Field, Cameron Indoor, MSG...no venue comes close to the amount of REAL RESULTS-BASED difference that affect every wrestler who laces 'em up there. A home dual for Iowa, with Olympic champion Tom Brands jumping around and the long shadow of living legend, Dan Gable looming from the stands, is worth something...I'd put the over/under at 1.5 points per match, and i'd take the over. Go back and look at all the greats who went into that place and lost, only to win later when it counted. Kolat comes to mind, so does Kendall Cross, more recently Jordan Oliver.

Long story short, Hall will be fine. At a neutral site (or any site that's not Carver Hawkeye) Hall wins this match. He's top three right now. Who knows where he'll be in a month and a half???

...and for the record, I disagree with Coach Sanderson's choice to pull Hall's red-shirt.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 21, 2017

M-Rod I agree with coach Cael decision because he believes Hall is a title contender. Why wait? OK- State has a legitimate chance for 10 AA's. You offset those points with finalist and champs.
BoJo is the slight favorite to win 174 if healthy. Mark Hall will have 2 to 3 chances to wrestle him with the dual,big ten, and maybe NCAA's. He will have the best chance to beat Bo because they can make adjustments after each match. I favor Bo over Zahad, Epperly, and the rest of the field because they will only get one shot. I've been told Bo has a different type of pressure on the mat. Also T-Row said Bo is a monster during a recent podcast.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 22, 2017

I like Cael but this just seems like such a panic move. I think PSU wins the title without him. Perhaps the OSU-Iowa result the week before spooked him on the Cowboys. Ryan's plan seemed to have a little more premeditation. Only the participants really know I suppose.

Just shows there are no guarantees. Hall lost to a very good wrestler who isn't close to being the best he will have to beat to win it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 22, 2017

I think Cael was hoping to keep Hall in redshirt but realized he didn't have anyone in the lineup he could count on at NCAA's. When Hall won the Scuffle it became an easy and obvious decision.

Or....perhaps Cael didn't want Hall to be an undefeated 4 timer and yanked him prematurely to ensure he got a loss...but I doubt it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 23, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"....perhaps Cael didn't want Hall to be an undefeated 4 timer and yanked him prematurely to ensure he got a loss...but I doubt it."

No way. He's a Coach now. He'll be judged by his individuals' and teams' successes. He wants to be the guy that coaches the guy that equals his record.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 23, 2017

Long story short, Hall will be fine. At a neutral site (or any site that's not Carver Hawkeye) Hall wins this match. He's top three right now. Who knows where he'll be in a month and a half???

I disagree Mark didn't wrestle that great of match period. Mark has been wrestling in big matches his whole life and I personally don't believe the location played into it. He got beat plain and simple.

Now I think next time they wrestle he wins.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 23, 2017

At this point I'm not sure that I believe that BoJo can win the title. I think stylistically he doesn't match up well against Zahid and Hall. To me both are much more agile and athletic, and ultimately I think they both present style matchup problems for Bo. I think Bo does better when his opponents pressure into him, and both Zahid and Hall don't need to pressure to create offense. Let me add that I believe he loses to them when he is healthy, and clearly he is not. I think he beats Hall in early match-ups, but not rematches. With the lack of matches how does the committee even seed Bo higher than either of them as well? Is he seedable?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 23, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I disagree Mark didn't wrestle that great of match period. Mark has been wrestling in big matches his whole life and I personally don't believe the location played into it. He got beat plain and simple.

Now I think next time they wrestle he wins."

I agree that he didn't wrestle well and got beat, but the question to ask is why? He was good enough to win the Southern Scuffle and Junior Worlds, dominating wrestlers better than Meyer. I would argue that the venue was the difference. Go back and watch the Kolat/Ironside bout. I would say Kolat's high school credentials rival Hall's...and Kolat was upper classmen by then. He still lost to a lesser opponent.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 23, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"At this point I'm not sure that I believe that BoJo can win the title. I think stylistically he doesn't match up well against Zahid and Hall. To me both are much more agile and athletic, and ultimately I think they both present style matchup problems for Bo. I think Bo does better when his opponents pressure into him, and both Zahid and Hall don't need to pressure to create offense. Let me add that I believe he loses to them when he is healthy, and clearly he is not. I think he beats Hall in early match-ups, but not rematches. With the lack of matches how does the committee even seed Bo higher than either of them as well? Is he seedable?"

If the post season started today maybe but if Bo wins the Big 10 I'm pretty sure he will be seeded fairly high.

► Add to the Discussion