Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Bucks @ Hawks Friday
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

Piling on...

Did Micah Jordan wrestle?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

C Pyles said on twitter that Bo hadn't practiced in 2 weeks. If that is true that is an impressive win for Bo.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

I like that our expectations are so high now because Not so long ago this would have been a great result for the Buckeyes at Carver. They are competitive -- and successfully so -- at most weights and the holes are what they have been this year (glaringly so).

Pletcher beat a ranked senior at Carver.

Micah's result was probably what 9 out of 10 would have predicted. Sorensen has great defense and Micah has trouble on bottom. He's close.

For as tough a wrestler as Burcher is that may have been the most disappointing to me. I thought he could have beaten Gunther before the match.

I felt a lot better about Bo, particularly his frame of mind in the post-match interview.

Myles is Myles. He got a little sloppy. Reminds me a lot of last year. I'm not predicting he beats Dean but I think he will be there with everyone else at the end. Hard worker, good kid. He'll be fine.

I loved the stall on Wulkie (sp?). Perhaps Moore's rep as an attacker helped get that one. Watching the Brands lose their minds is morbidly entertaining. Seems like Moore closes the gap on Pfarr every match.

For all the seeming warts last night the Buckeyes likely win the match with Snyder there.

So if Santa brings Hank his 125, is this the favored team next year?

125: ?
133: Nate
141: Pletcher
149: Hayes
157: Micah
165: Romero (though White rumors still out there)
174: Bo
184: Myles
197: Moore
235: Superman

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

IMO, on paper, top to bottom, next years team could be the best in Buckeye history. Moore and Pletcher have proven to be solid this year to go along with already proven Nate, Micah, Bo, Myles & Snyder.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

I like that our expectations are so high now because Not so long ago this would have been a great result for the Buckeyes at Carver. They are competitive -- and successfully so -- at most weights and the holes are what they have been this year (glaringly so).

Pletcher beat a ranked senior at Carver.

Micah's result was probably what 9 out of 10 would have predicted. Sorensen has great defense and Micah has trouble on bottom. He's close.

For as tough a wrestler as Burcher is that may have been the most disappointing to me. I thought he could have beaten Gunther before the match.

I felt a lot better about Bo, particularly his frame of mind in the post-match interview.

Myles is Myles. He got a little sloppy. Reminds me a lot of last year. I'm not predicting he beats Dean but I think he will be there with everyone else at the end. Hard worker, good kid. He'll be fine.

I loved the stall on Wulkie (sp?). Perhaps Moore's rep as an attacker helped get that one. Watching the Brands lose their minds is morbidly entertaining. Seems like Moore closes the gap on Pfarr every match.

For all the seeming warts last night the Buckeyes likely win the match with Snyder there.

So if Santa brings Hank his 125, is this the favored team next year?

125: ?
133: Nate
141: Pletcher
149: Hayes
157: Micah
165: Romero (though White rumors still out there)
235: Superman

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"IMO, on paper, top to bottom, next years team could be the best in Buckeye history. Moore and Pletcher have proven to be solid this year to go along with already proven Nate, Micah, Bo, Myles & Snyder."

I think they'll be similar to this year.

125: Wisconsin Twins
133: Nate (pletcher redshirts), J-Rod backs up
141: Hayes
149: Micah
157: Jake Ryan (would Burcher drop?)
165: Romero (White? Cleary?)
285: Superman (with Singletary in redshirt)

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on January 28, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

I still think of things like a high school coach, imagining everyone can just grow and lift, filling in weights. That was one of my favorite things, but I know it doesn't really apply here. Or does it?

I have a couple questions, that may or may not be answered.

1st - What are the off-season, "in shape" weights of Hayes and M. Jordan? If they are 160 and 170, respectively, then I think they move up, effectively. When I say "in shape", I mean working out pretty hard but not watching weight.

Having a talent like Pletcher sitting is not ideal. However, I can live with it, especially since NT is who he is.

Next, how good is Rodriguez? The other added benefit of keeping Pletcher at 141 is that Rodriguez can eventually get a shot at 133. he obviously can wrestle but 133 is sick low.

Good problem to have.

P.S. Jake Ryan is one of my top 2 favorite Bucks. No hate here. This kid has come so far and is such a quality dude. For whatever reason, it's not clicking right now.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

Every time I've heard Tom Ryan speak I've left impressed and inspired. He is truly an exceptional person. However, I have been overly critical of tosu's in match strategy in the past. Last night was NO EXCEPTION... Ryan stated that he and Micah spoke and that being ridden out was a concern.....if that's the case DON'T DEFER IN THE 2ND! Take down....if you get ridden out you can give up the escape and work the whole period for the td! That would be simple strategy.

Last edited by Jamie Teel on January 28, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 28, 2017

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Every time I've heard Tom Ryan speak I've left impressed and inspired. He is truly an exceptional person. However, I have been overly critical of tosu's in match strategy in the past. Last night was NO EXCEPTION... Ryan stated that he and Micah spoke and that being ridden out was a concern.....if that's the case DON'T DEFER IN THE 2ND! Take down....if you get ridden out you can go neutral in the 3rd and work the whole period for the td! That would be simple strategy."

I might be missing something here, but if you elect to choose bottom in the 2nd, it would be the other man's choice in the third, so how would you go neutral? Instead of deferring in the second, why not choose neutral? If you choose bottom in the second and he rides you the whole period, there's a chance he'll choose top in the third to ride you out again.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4