Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Iowa/PSU Dual: Sorenson vs. Retherford
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 25, 2017

One of my favorite things about the dot.net family is the opportunity to consider the perspective of those I know have orders of magnitude more wrestling experience/talent than I do.

What were your thoughts on the recent multi-OT dual match with between Sorenson and Retherford?

Also, who does Micah match up best with?

(Rex, if you are willing, would you help me understand what details made the difference in the match outcome...and anything else you'd like to offer?)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 25, 2017

Cael Sanderson implied at the press conference that Retherford was not at 100%.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 25, 2017

I'm no Rex Holman, but I thought the bout (the attitude and tone, not necessarily the technique) was a lot like Retherford's dual win against Logan Stieber when he was a freshman. He was a little under the weather and going into hostile territory against a motivated opponent. It was a match that, like the Stieber/Retherford match, seemed to "get away" from the favorite. Halfway through the bout the front runner almost seemed shocked to be in the war he was in. In the Stieber/Retherford match it was Retherford's ride that seemed to level the playing field between two wrestlers that weren't evenly matched. In this bout it was Sorensen's ability to get out from bottom that seemed to drain Retherford's confidence...that and his ability to trade takedowns with the Penn State star.

I will say this, I'm more impressed with Retherford after this match than I was before. Some have framed this as showing chinks in his armor. I think the opposite. Sorensen is a 2X AA and a returning finalist. He had Retherford at Carver-Hawkeye and had him clearly not at 100%. He also wrestled as good as he ever has against Retherford...getting out on bottom and aggressive on his feet. Long story short, if Sorensen didn't get him this time, he never will.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on January 26, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 25, 2017

And it was Sorensen who I thought was the wrestler that fatigued late in the math.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 25, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"And it was Sorensen who I thought was the wrestler that fatigued late in the math."

Sometimes when one is tired it is difficult to count.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"And it was Sorensen who I thought was the wrestler that fatigued late in the math."

Sometimes when one is tired it is difficult to count."

Additionally, he needs to do a better job of creating obtuse angles when attacking. That final Tan(squared) by Retherford stole it away.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

Mike: I was thinking the same thing about how this match held echoes of Logan v Retherford.

I'm not sure Retherford was sick. Nothing about his demeanor indicated he wasn't feeling well. I think it was just a mid-season flat effort against a very tough opponent on hostile ground. Agree that the fact Retherford didn't blow it--and ultimately outlasted Sorenson--was impressive.

Logan had at least one crap effort every season. I remember once watching him wrestle Sabatello from Purdue and he was struggling to finish shots. How often did Logan have trouble finishing? And then there was the dual with Nick Dardanes his senior season when Logan barely held on for a one point win. And of course the loss to Retherford where he seemed utterly perplexed for the last two periods.

Mental/physical fatigue are very real issues for all wrestlers. No one is razor sharp every match. But the great ones maintain the effort and that's why they usually win.

Key for Micah against Sorenson will be ability to finish shots.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

*match

Y'all made me chuckle. Thank you.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

One thing that concerns me regarding the Micah/Sorenson match is the pace. I'm not sure if Micah can keep up with Iowa kid for 3 periods. The Retherford match had a non-stop pace throughout. I think Sorenson has wrestled Zane so many times that he now is closing the gap thru familiarity with his style, similar to NaTo and Micic. IMO.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

Good stuff. Does a match like this give Sorenson a "level up" mentally, even if he didn't win? (I don't know, or even it matters, just asking.)

► Add to the Discussion