Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Dual Meets?
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

I consistently read on various forums that Dual Meets are an answer for increasing wrestling exposure, interest, participation, etc.

My opinion: Sorta...

At the high school level, they are great if there is an known rivalry, lots of community/spectator participation, there is some positive notoriety with being on the wrestling team, the coach builds the event, etc. but otherwise not so much as it is still primarily just the parents (who are already proverbially "in the club") in the stands.

And while I've really been enjoying watching B1G Network and love the sport for the sake of the sport, there is orders of magnitude more interest on my part watching the PSU/Iowa Dual (which is a pizza/everybody go find something to do who isn't watching wrestling with Dad night) and some of the other Dual Meets involving the lesser successful teams (where I confess I periodically fast forward to the ranked wrestler's match or see if a bunch of points are racked up before I rewind that match).

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

Just a couple of casual observations from both the cheap seats and from the mat.

As an official, I am not a duals person. They are pretty hard as I am "on point" for 14 matches in a HS event. I like the tournaments where I work two and sit for two.

However, as a spectator I love going to duals and especially those of the college variety. I get to see some good (sometimes REALLY good) wrestling, it doesn't cost much, usually I see good rivals, and the event is over in 1 1/2 hours or so. What is not to like?

I really don't think there is a single or unique answer to the problems of the sport. On the HS level we are bombarded with the super sized tournaments that fill up 1 to 2 complete days. I am paid to be there and I get tired of them.

Just my feeling but duals seem to work for college meets and they used to work for HS's where we had big rivalries. I think of Maple Heights vs anyone or Richmond Heights vs much larger schools. The duals were sellouts and sometimes they had a TV feed to the cafeteria for those not lucky enough to get in the gym.

Can we return to those thrilling days of yester-yore? Probably not. The world has changed in so many ways. There are more opportunities for things to side track young wrestlers. Then add in "little league" Dads who suck the life out of their wrestlers and we have recipe for disaster.

I wish I had a different view.

2 minutes later:

Just had a thought that I meant to mention.
Last night I was officiating the State Duals Round 1 at Mentor. The schools there were Mentor, Will South, Kenston, and Riverside. With 3 very local and one kind of local school, there were probably about 100 paying people in attendance. That is pretty sad.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 26, 2017

At the D1 level have a dual championship and a tournament championship. Each one is a champion--but the national champion needs to win both. Otherwise there is no national champ. How's that for drama?

To answer--duals are great. At high school, they've been watered down by forfeits but at college they remain vibrant.

We overemphasize tournaments because we've placed too much value on them. The whole season should matter. It's just better for the sport.

► Add to the Discussion