Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Snyder wins Yarygin!
Casey Talbott added to this discussion on January 29, 2017

Snyder wins:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/January/29/Kyle-Snyder-wins-Yarygin-Grand-Prix-gold-medal-in-Russia

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2017

Next time I see him I'm going to find his cape.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 29, 2017

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/51123-kyle-snyder-wins-2017-ivan-yarygin#.WI3z44WcFPY

That's the link to Flo and all his matches.

Awesome job!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 29, 2017

I saw Kyle's matches and he was great. I also got to see some of the Paris Tournament videos. The USA is looking a lot tougher with this new group of young wrestlers, especially Dake & Megaludis. Throw in Snyder & Cox and the future is looking good.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2017

Awesome!

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

Seriously, is there anything missing from his trophy case? Congrats Kyle.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Seriously, is there anything missing from his trophy case? Congrats Kyle."

A Mister Brisket T-Shirt.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

Like many of you, I have been following Kyle Snyder's career and of course see plenty of coverage of him on the Buckeye's wrestling website. However, his picture has been showing up in some unusual places. I was at work and opened the online newsletter of my employer and there he is staring back at me on the front page. Turns out his grandmother works at the same place I do and so they did a little story on him.

I go see my dentist and the hygienist and I get to talking about sports since her sons play football. She pulls out her iPhone and shows me a picture of Kyle standing next to her and her husband. Turns out the family are close friends and her husband works with Kyle's parents.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 30, 2017

Bruce: this is a bit unsettling to me. It appears there are few lengths he'll go to in hopes of avoiding me. :sigh:

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

I saw on twitter some fans calling out Snyder and calling him selfish for going to this instead of wrestling for Bucks against Iowa.

I disagree with this take but curious how the rest of the.net feels

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I saw on twitter some fans calling out Snyder and calling him selfish for going to this instead of wrestling for Bucks against Iowa.

I disagree with this take but curious how the rest of the.net feels"

I don't understand those who feel that way. I don't understand how someone could be a wrestler (or even a fan of the sport) and not respect the individual aspects of the sport. Snyder is doing what every wrestler dreams of doing...He's winning on the world stage, while dominating at the college level on a team that's contending for an NCAA title. Where's the downside?

For the record, duals don't matter. It's not how we judge success in our sport. He'll be on the mat when it matters.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on January 31, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

I can't imagine there is one Buckeye fan who believes what he is doing is anything but beneficial on many levels. I imagine every teammate supports this, too. Who wouldn't want to be on the same team with an Olympic/World/Yarygan champion?

This helps recruiting, notoriety for the program, and perhaps he's learning -- and brining back -- different traning techniques.

He is, however, unique. I don't see this happening a lot.

Robert Dalton added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

I don't understand that line of thinking either. He is dominating at both the international and college level. I agree with the others that it brings exposure to Ohio State and Ohio State wrestling. While winning duals and beating Iowa is great, in the grand scheme of things, I am just happy I get to watch him wrestle both for my favorite university and my country.

And, I am surprised no one else has mentioned it, but at this point he does not have to be at Ohio State. He could focus solely on freestyle and leave the college ranks. I would have to guess, he enjoys Ohio State and wrestling at the college level.

On a side note, a guy I work with has a son that was a high state placer last year. In the fall, Ohio State invites certain state placers to come up on Sundays and practice with the team. What an experience for a high school wrestler to get to watch and even go live with the best in the world.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 31, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I saw on twitter some fans calling out Snyder and calling him selfish for going to this instead of wrestling for Bucks against Iowa.

I disagree with this take but curious how the rest of the.net feels"

I don't understand those who feel that way. I don't understand how someone could be a wrestler (or even a fan of the sport) and not respect the individual aspects of the sport. Snyder is doing what every wrestler dreams of doing...He's winning on the world stage, while dominating at the college level on a team that's contending for an NCAA title. Where's the downside?

For the record, duals don't matter. It's not how we judge success in our sport. He'll be on the mat when it matters."

In the post match interview at Iowa, TR said "dual meets have no significant consequences" if they did Kyle would have wrestled instead of going to Russia. He even said he wasn't going to put Bo out there because he was still healing, but Bo really wanted to wrestle so he let him.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 1, 2017

It is indeed a privilege to get to watch Kyle wrestle for OSU.

He has reached the pinnacle of his sport by winning international and olympic championships!

It is the football equivalent of winning the super-bowl then going to play for your college team, except football rules wouldn't allow that.

He is the best wrestler in the world in his class! And he is pretty good in the NCAA also!

We look forward to watching him for the next year at OSU!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next