Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: GOAT
Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

With the recent success of guys like Burroughs and Snyder on the world stage and watching how special their runs have been, it should make you really appreciate the all time American greats and how amazing their accomplishments were. Guys like Baumgartner and Smith, who were at the top of the world for a very long stretch, were absolutely amazing.

Burroughs winning a couple world titles, and the run Snyder is on, are truly amazing, but almost pale in comparison to what the above mentioned did in their day as they were dominant for the better part of a decade!

Obviously, the current guys have a lot of time left, so who knows where they will end up!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

No one is likely to touch Bruce. 14 years of being among the best in the world. Smith was amazing for six years.

Next in line are Burroughs and Lee Kemp. Very similar accomplishments. about five great seasons.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

Saw the title and assumed this thread was about me but whatevs.

Was thinking this weekend watching Taylor, Dake, and Snyder win that the US FS program is in very good shape.

Here's my question: Dake vs Burroughs tomorrow, who you got? Give me Dake.

Go watch his match with Dieringer. Destruction.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

Not arguing, but asking:
Is it more difficult to win an Olympic/world title today, than ever?
Fewer weight classes, and now you have to go through a whole slew of Soviets, as opposed to one.
Just food for thought.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"Not arguing, but asking:
Fewer weight classes, and now you have to go through a whole slew of Soviets, as opposed to one.
Just food for thought."

I would have to think yes. Someone posted an interesting analysis on Yappi after the Olympics, and the overwhelming majority of medals were won by either Russia or former Soviet countries.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"Not arguing, but asking:
Just food for thought."

In my opinion, it's absolutely more difficult to win Oly & World titles today than before. Doesn't diminish the accomplishments of those who won them prior to all the changes at all, but the changes have certainly made things more challenging.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

My #MtRushmoreOfWrestling

1) Dan Gable
2) Bruce Baumgartner
3) John Smith
4) Cael Sanderson

True story!

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 2, 2017

This is such an interesting topic. While Cael is unreal, he did only win one world/olympic title, correct? Is it the same for Gable? It seems impossible to leave a 6X World Champ and multiple time national championship coach in John Smith off that list!

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Is it realistic to believe Kyle Snyder could compete in four Olympics?
Even it he has only two more Olympics in him he could very well surpass Baumgartner as the greatest international wrestler in American history. Of course, it's too early to tell. The threat of injury is always lurking.

Someone told me this week at lunch that he heard a discussion on the radio asking who the greatest athlete in Ohio State history has been. Think about all of the greats that have played sports at TOSU.

He said Jesse Owens was #1 followed by #2 Kyle Snyder.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with that statement. I think many could argue Jack Nicklaus, Jerry Lucas, or Archie Griffin could be considered the greatest too.

That blew me away. We are witnessing one of the greatest athletes to ever play a sport at our distinguished university and he is wrestling tonight! One day, we will be able to tell our grandchildren what it was like watching Kyle Snyder wrestle in person.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"My #MtRushmoreOfWrestling

1) Dan Gable
2) Bruce Baumgartner
3) John Smith
4) Cael Sanderson

True story!"

Tom Brands, Lee Kemp and Jordan Burroughs were all amazing in college and did a lot more internationally than Cael and Gable. But I understand the Cael is an icon.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

My #MtRushmoreOfWrestling encompasses more than just wrestling. What Gable and Cael did/currently doing from competitor to coach is rivaled only by John Smith. Both were remarkable in college, reached the highest goal in international, and have been the head coach for multiple NCAA titles. Again, John Smith has done similar

And Bruce is, well, Bruce!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

#MyMountRushmore

John Smith
Dan Gable
Cael Sanderson
Jordan Burroughs
Bruce B
Kyle Snyder

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"#MyMountRushmore

John Smith
Dan Gable
Cael Sanderson
Jordan Burroughs
Bruce B
Kyle Snyder"

Brady: I'm not sure if you've ever actually seen Mount Rushmore in person - or even in pictures - but there are only four faces. I'll let you edit your list. ;-)

I will make note that what Burroughs lacks in coaching credentials he nearly makes up for with the way he has represented the sport. His ambassadorship for wrestling has been remarkable. He oozes class. He truly is awesome!

Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

My Mt. Rushmore looks like this:

Bruce- impossible to leave off
John Smith- college success, international success, coaching success- no brainer
Dan Gable- is there a more famous person in wrestling?
Cael- same as Smith, although only a couple of years on the international scene may ding him a bit, but his teams are easily the most fun wrestlers to watch in the country (hopefully they lose tonight)!

HM- Brands, Schultz, Kemp, Burroughs, Snyder

Editors note- for some reason I thought Cruiser left Smith off. Reading is not my strong suit!

Side note- my son is named after 2 guys on Mt. Rushmore, so he is named after 3 of the greatest wrestlers of all time!

Cliff note- pretty pumped about this dual tonight!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 3, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"#MyMountRushmore

John Smith
Dan Gable
Cael Sanderson
Jordan Burroughs
Bruce B
Kyle Snyder"

Brady: I'm not sure if you've ever actually seen Mount Rushmore in person - or even in pictures - but there are only four faces. I'll let you edit your list. ;-)
"

UH, I said it was MY Mount Rushmore. You stay inside your box. I am a free American.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next