Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Jaden Mattox commits to.....
Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I get that those weight shifts would help everyone fit nicely into the line up, but having wrestlers not fit in the line up isn't always a bad thing. Ohio State needs to find a way to keep the Nick Roberts of the world. Those guys are important. If Mattox or Carr or Rocky Jordan or the Decaturs have to sit a year, that's what depth looks like. Ohio State is an injury away from a hole in the line up at every weight.

For what it's worth, I think Keshawn Hayes looks like a career 141."

I agree whole heartedly.

I know it has been stated on numerous occasions on this site, but in my opinion the major knock on Tom Ryan is his inability to build depth throughout the line-up.

I would say that with only 9.9 scholarships and the GRIND that is D1 wrestling this concept is easier said than done. And to be honest I think only PSU and Iowa can say that they can and have acquired depth throughout their line-ups.

Michigan seems to be a program that is starting to develop some depth, but we will see if the can continue to build it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"
I agree whole heartedly.

I know it has been stated on numerous occasions on this site, but in my opinion the major knock on Tom Ryan is his inability to build depth throughout the line-up.

I would say that with only 9.9 scholarships and the GRIND that is D1 wrestling this concept is easier said than done. And to be honest I think only PSU and Iowa can say that they can and have acquired depth throughout their line-ups.

Michigan seems to be a program that is starting to develop some depth, but we will see if the can continue to build it."

Having several in-state schools doesn't help with depth either for wrestles who want to compete in Ohio. The other schools can provide more financial assistance for the wrestlers while tOSU is heavily vested in their starters.

I know a couple of OH kids who wanted to attend tOSU but the offers were extremely low compared to the other instate schools.

Until tOSU has the rich history of winning national championships, it's always going to be hard to have depth like PSU, IA & OSU. Then you add the fact that Tom Ryan doesn't have the wrestling accomplishments like Brands, Sanderson & Smith.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"
I agree whole heartedly.

Michigan seems to be a program that is starting to develop some depth, but we will see if the can continue to build it."

Having several in-state schools doesn't help with depth either for wrestles who want to compete in Ohio. The other schools can provide more financial assistance for the wrestlers while tOSU is heavily vested in their starters.

I know a couple of OH kids who wanted to attend tOSU but the offers were extremely low compared to the other instate schools.

Until tOSU has the rich history of winning national championships, it's always going to be hard to have depth like PSU, IA & OSU. Then you add the fact that Tom Ryan doesn't have the wrestling accomplishments like Brands, Sanderson & Smith."

While I understand what you're saying I think coaching is a results based field. Kevin Jackson has an olympic medal that certainly didn't translate to wide spread success. Cornell, Missouri, Edinborough, and Ohio State all have been national title contenders under coaches that don't have the resume of a Brands, Smith, or Sanderson. Coincidentally, when was the last time Iowa won a national title without some transfers from VTech? How many individual national titles have they had in the last five years? Not comparable to tOSU. It doesn't hurt to have a great resume, but great competition success does not (more times than not) equate to great coaching success. With that being said, I think Coach Ryan and staff are very aware of their lack of depth. I think the Anthony Ralph hire is a step in the right direction. I may be way off, but I'm assuming he was brought in to beef up domestic (instate) recruiting. Pulling kids like the Wisconsin twins are a good start. I like the trend of getting brothers. Steibers, Jordans, Decatur's, whatever the Wiscy kid's last names are. It builds good team (family oriented) culture and I would assume its a discounted rate for enrollment/schollys/grants. In Ryan we trust!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"I have heard from what I would consider a reliable source that Ohio State may have their 165 next year. Isaiah White."

That would be awesome.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

If there is any truth to this what does this mean for David Carr? The Bucks have been pretty high on him for the past year or so. I realize that he has taken some losses this year (including to Mattox), but with
Mattox (proj 165/174)
Romero (proj 165/174)
White (proj 165/174)

are we punting on Carr? Is he projected to be a 157, perhaps? Imagine this line up in two/three years

125: Decatur
133: Pletcher
141: Decatur
149: Hayes
157: Carr
165: Mattox/White
174: Mattox/White
184: Romero
197: Moore
285: Singletary

That being said. I'm skeptical on White's re-recruitment.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Jarred Ball,
The schools (Cornell, MU, EU) you mentioned, none of them have the tradition as IA & OSU and now PSU, not even close. We both can name schools that have been "national title contenders" over the years but the schools I mentioned are constantly right there year after year. Teams who's attendance is in the 5 digits at ever dual and help sell out away duals when they roll into town.
Your last 5 year window is small but I'll answer your question the best I can. Total count, tOSU has 7 national champions (4 by Stieber alone) by 4 individuals which is one more than IA's 3 individual champions and 3 championships. In that same timeframe, tOSU won a national title while IA brought team hardware 4x vs tOSU 2x. We both can manipulate the numbers anyway we choose but at the end of the day, the issue remains the same, no depth.

I personally know numerous wrestlers who are wrestling for OSU who would be starters on alot of other teams. The Oklahoma wrestlers just want to wrestle for John Smith because of what he's done at OSU. tOSU has started in 2015 and needs to continue finishing top 4 team at NCAAs, continue winning individual championships and this will fix the depth issue imo.

KJ got his position because of his resume and I agree, he hasn't done a very good job at ISU. He also won't be the last heavy resume guy not to work out.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2